The wrong station!

Old Dec 29th 2013, 10:04 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute
Default The wrong station!

Yesterday I travelled back by train after spending Christmas in Leamington Spa, but for the first time in my life, I got off at the wrong station.

I was supposed to change at Birmingham New Street, however having an interesting chat with a young man in the seat next to me, when I heard the word Birmingham over the speaker system, I grabbed my luggage and left the train.
However after much aggravation and stress unable to see my connection on the electronic board, I asked railway personnel, and was told I was at Birmingham International, about 14 km from where I needed to be!!

I was then given the wrong platform number for a train to New Street, and missed a train which could have enabled me to catch my connection to Devon, which of course I subsequently missed.

All of this added more than an hour to my journey, and I travelled on 3 trains and a special bus because of work at a railway bridge in Devon.

So . . . listen to the train speaker system more carefully!!
Old Dec 30th 2013, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The wrong station!

Originally Posted by aries
Yesterday I travelled back by train after spending Christmas in Leamington Spa, but for the first time in my life, I got off at the wrong station.

I was supposed to change at Birmingham New Street, however having an interesting chat with a young man in the seat next to me, when I heard the word Birmingham over the speaker system, I grabbed my luggage and left the train.
However after much aggravation and stress unable to see my connection on the electronic board, I asked railway personnel, and was told I was at Birmingham International, about 14 km from where I needed to be!!

I was then given the wrong platform number for a train to New Street, and missed a train which could have enabled me to catch my connection to Devon, which of course I subsequently missed.

All of this added more than an hour to my journey, and I travelled on 3 trains and a special bus because of work at a railway bridge in Devon.

So . . . listen to the train speaker system more carefully!!
Wow what an adventure!
Old Dec 30th 2013, 2:51 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I was with a group visiting Moscow and we were venturing out on our own in the evening, going to Red Square by metro.

We were advised to do something like four stops, change trains and then go three. This meant that coming back we had to go three, change trains and then go four.

As a safeguard we copied the lettering on the sign we thought was the name of the station where we changed.

Turned out to be an Exit sign.

It was just as well we counted.
Old Dec 30th 2013, 5:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

When I go out I prefer to travel with an adult. Much safer.
Old Dec 30th 2013, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
When I go out I prefer to travel with an adult. Much safer.
. . . or with a savvy 10 year old using a smart phone with a sat nav
Old Dec 30th 2013, 1:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent idea ! I will try that next time !
Old Dec 30th 2013, 1:13 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

LOL I'll loan you my kid with a sat nav.
Glad to hear you did eventually get home.
I remember dozing off on the train through France on the way to Spain, I nearly got off in Toulouse by mistake, another tip. Don't fall asleep and them wake with a start and try to get off at the wrong stop.