Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Why reunified Ireland offers best outcome for North’s future

Why reunified Ireland offers best outcome for North’s future

Old Dec 29th 2016, 9:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why reunified Ireland offers best outcome for North’s future

An interesting article. I am always surprised why people considering a move back to Britain (retirement for example) think of Scotland/Wales and never really thought about Northern Ireland, so there must be some truth to it.

Many British people really don't know what they have with Northern Ireland. Why reunified Ireland offers best outcome for North’s future
Old Dec 29th 2016, 10:33 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why reunified Ireland offers best outcome for North’s future

I can't relate your comment to the content of the linked article.

Whether or not Ulster leaves the UK and joins Eire, should IMO be up to the people of N.I. This has also been the view of successive British governments.

Whether or not the majority of N.I. citizens want unification depends partly on demographics, since the Catholic birthrate remains higher than the Protestant, but it also depends on political and economic factors. Brexit certainly makes unification more likely.

But, I don't understand how you think this makes N.I more attractive for migrants.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha

Whether or not Ulster leaves the UK and joins Eire, should IMO be up to the people of N.I. This has also been the view of successive British governments.

Whether or not the majority of N.I. citizens want unification depends partly on demographics, since the Catholic birthrate remains higher than the Protestant, but it also depends on political and economic factors. Brexit certainly makes unification more likely.

But, I don't understand how you think this makes N.I more attractive for migrants.
I totally agree, Editha. As one who grew up in Northern Ireland, it is hard to explain the nuances of the culture and place to those who have never lived there. The article discusses the supposed indifference of the British government towards Northern Ireland, but says little about the Irish government's attitude, which has displayed much of the same sentiment over the decades. The reality is that neither the British nor Irish governments really know what to do with NI, so it's a dozing dog best left alone and handled at arm's length. The Brexit issue is just bringing it all to the forefront again, due to the fact that it's the UK's only land border with Europe.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 4:42 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The UK may be indifferent to Northern Ireland but the real block to Irish reunification is that the Republic doesn't want it either. It's simply not worth the hassle.
Old Dec 29th 2016, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
The UK may be indifferent to Northern Ireland but the real block to Irish reunification is that the Republic doesn't want it either. It's simply not worth the hassle.
So very true! Why would they?
Old Dec 30th 2016, 8:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just saying that although they are British, other British people don't really consider Northern Ireland to be part of Britain and it seems to me that people from the Republic actually now have a better relationship to the place. If you look at it today, most young people would not have a problem being one country and even the rugby team manages to be one team with different religions etc. Who would have thought that Germany would ever be one country???

Last edited by Moses2013; Dec 30th 2016 at 8:20 am.
Old Dec 30th 2016, 8:29 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I'm just saying that although they are British, other British people don't really consider Northern Ireland to be part of Britain and it seems to me that people from the Republic actually now have a better relationship to the place. If you look at it today, most young people would not have a problem being one country and even the rugby team manages to be one team with different religions etc. Who would have thought that Germany would ever be one country???
I think of N.I as part of Great Britain, and I don't know anyone who doesn't. I'm neither for nor against Irish unification. It is for the people of Ulster to decide. I think it is extremely unlikely that if there was a majority in N.I for unification that either the government of the UK or Eire would oppose them.
Old Dec 30th 2016, 8:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by macadian
So very true! Why would they?
Why wouldn't they? People talk about the hassle etc. Yes, buying your neighbours run down garden is also a hassle at the start but once you actually plan the garden and clean it up, the benefits can be seen.

Yes it costs money, but any investment does.
Old Dec 30th 2016, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I think of N.I as part of Great Britain, and I don't know anyone who doesn't. I'm neither for nor against Irish unification. It is for the people of Ulster to decide. I think it is extremely unlikely that if there was a majority in N.I for unification that either the government of the UK or Eire would oppose them.
Maybe you but many don't. It's not just for Ulster to decide, as people from Connacht, Leinster, Munster would also have to agree. Many people don't see it happening but never say never.
Old Dec 30th 2016, 11:58 am
Was in Canada, now home.

I don't think that polls in Eire have ever showed less than a majority in favour of unification. If Ulster voted for unification, it seems inconceivable to me that the majority of voters in Eire would leave Ulster high and dry, forced either to remain part of the UK against the people's will, or go it alone.

But then, I thought it was inconceivable that Trump would win the US election, so what do I know?
Old Dec 30th 2016, 12:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't think that polls in Eire have ever showed less than a majority in favour of unification. If Ulster voted for unification, it seems inconceivable to me that the majority of voters in Eire would leave Ulster high and dry, forced either to remain part of the UK against the people's will, or go it alone.

But then, I thought it was inconceivable that Trump would win the US election, so what do I know?
Exactly and polls are polls. We also voted for same-sex marriage, so people here aren't always what others try to make us.

After talking to people from the North, they actually want to move forward and are probably more open than many English these days.
Old Dec 30th 2016, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

I completely agree that it is inconceivable hat the government let alone the majority of the people would vote against re-unification- though I could see Irish government hesitating on the timing of implementation/

I do get impression current state of affairs in NI is more or less acceptable to most, and over time-maybe a long time- the situation will sort itself out.