Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Where to start in terms of the legal hoops to jump through

Where to start in terms of the legal hoops to jump through

Old Jan 5th 2016, 10:22 am
Just Joined

LornaSA is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to start in terms of the legal hoops to jump through

Would really like some pointers/help about returning back to the UK.

I left the UK at 15 and have lived in South Africa ever since - therefore have never worked in the UK.

My siblings have moved to other continents , my parents and grandparents have passed away so there is nothing holding me here anymore and would love to move "home". I have a life partner who holds a South African passport and we will cross this bridge as well in terms of proving we are in a long term relationship and applying for his visa but baby steps first lets get me over there.

I have a current passport and have been back a few times but have no idea where to start in terms of tax numbers, national health, banking, resident card ( only heard about this one recently- do i need one?)

I have some cash and a place to stay for a month either near Leeds or Winchester. Has anyone recently returned and started from scratch in terms of documentation ? Or can anyone point me at a website where I could get information. I'm told by ex-work colleagues who are in the UK that with my banking skills I should find a job easily but am I entitled to any unemployment or other benefits?
Thanks everyone in advance.
Old Jan 5th 2016, 11:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to start in terms of the legal hoops to jump through

Habitual Residence Test means that you probably would not get benefits right away.
"Resident card" Whatever that is, I do not have one. You can read a lot of info on the gov.uk website
Maybe start with the serach for a National insurance Number.
Old Jan 6th 2016, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

As I understand it, as a UK citizen, holding a British Passport, you do not need a residents certificate. You cannot usually avail of the NHS, benefits etc until you have been back for 3 months and have a UK address at which you live.(If you have been away from UK for , I think 3 years)
If you left at 15, then you should have had an NHS number since you would have been registered at the local GP where your parents lived. This should be able to be found by any GP you want to register with on your return. Also, it's possible you also had an NI number and the DWP will have a record of this. Scot47 suggestion of looking on the gov.uk website is good as most info is there somewhere - use the website search function for something like "returning to UK to live".
good Luck.
Old Jan 6th 2016, 12:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LornaSA
Would really like some pointers/help about returning back to the UK.

I left the UK at 15 and have lived in South Africa ever since - therefore have never worked in the UK.

My siblings have moved to other continents , my parents and grandparents have passed away so there is nothing holding me here anymore and would love to move "home". I have a life partner who holds a South African passport and we will cross this bridge as well in terms of proving we are in a long term relationship and applying for his visa but baby steps first lets get me over there.

I have a current passport and have been back a few times but have no idea where to start in terms of tax numbers, national health, banking, resident card ( only heard about this one recently- do i need one?)

I have some cash and a place to stay for a month either near Leeds or Winchester. Has anyone recently returned and started from scratch in terms of documentation ? Or can anyone point me at a website where I could get information. I'm told by ex-work colleagues who are in the UK that with my banking skills I should find a job easily but am I entitled to any unemployment or other benefits?
Thanks everyone in advance.
It really is very easy for you, just book your flight and walk into the country waving your British passport. Getting a visa for your OH is definitely the harder part.

I must admit I have never applied for a national insurance number so am not familiar with the process, but I know it is easy and Google should readily reveal the steps you need to take. Walk into a doctors surgery and ask to register, this is also easy. You can use your current bank for the short term, just as you would on holiday, once you are established with an address walk into a bank and ask to open an account.

Are you arriving penniless or with low savings? There are no benefits for childless people with savings. Even if you are indeed penniless, the benefits would be low and probably not enough for a new arrival to live on, if you have a job where you are, I would recommend saving up before this (or indeed any) international move.
Old Jan 6th 2016, 1:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You can get your National Insurance number once in the UK:

https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number

If you think you already have one:

https://www.gov.uk/lost-national-insurance-number

As you left at 15 you probably don't have a tax number and will be allocated one when you start work.

Bank account - walk into bank with identification, your address etc. and preferably some money to deposit.

To use the NHS you must be a resident - again take ID and an address to a GP to register. The NHS becomes available to you as soon as you register/are resident.

Benefits will only be available to you once you apply and have been assessed. Don't expect anything immediately,(if at all) so you should have monetary resources to keep you going for first few months.

When it comes to actually renting somewhere expect to have to pay first and last months deposit and security deposit, since you have no credit history.