Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

What's horrible in the UK countryside?

What's horrible in the UK countryside?

Old Sep 27th 2013, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's horrible in the UK countryside?

Originally Posted by dunroving
I'd suggest you should remember you are in polite company and use the term "fertilizer".

But then I remembered it took you 40 years to learn to use the word "manure".
George Costanza: "Horse manure's not that bad. I don't even mind the word “manure.” You know, it's, it's “nure,” which is good. and a “ma” in front of it. MA-NURE. When you consider the other choices, “manure” is actually pretty refreshing."
Old Sep 27th 2013, 4:36 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I'd suggest you should remember you are in polite company and use the term "fertilizer".

But then I remembered it took you 40 years to learn to use the word "manure".
Usually when I say 'ManUre', I'm referring to a football team ...
Old Sep 27th 2013, 4:42 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
We're still allowed to have a go at the French, right - at least just the white ones, we wouldn't want to be crossing any lines now, would we?
The cheese eating surrender monkeys are always fair game.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 4:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

It's 'personure'. do keep up.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 7:51 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I’ve challenged racism on this site before and I will continue to do so. This is my last post on this thread, however, because I have to put a lot of words on my laptop before a mid-November deadline.

This thread was started by Stormer 999 who claimed that, living in the countryside, there is a danger that an authorized traveller site will be placed near you and a lot of such sites are planned. Neither allegation is true. There are not a lot of authorized sites planned, and authorized traveller sites are not a problem to worry about. Many people live near authorized sites without even being aware that they are doing so. I myself lived near a site for 13 years in London, and was only aware of it because I could see it from the train. Authorised sites are usually placed away from residential accommodation, which means that travellers have to put up with rubbish tips, industrial parks and railway lines as neighbours. Travellers on authorized sites have sanitation and running water and their rubbish is collected by the council. They pay taxes and rent. Having been involved professionally in planning in town and country, I’m fairly confident that there are more authorized sites in towns than the countryside.

A number of posters have related anecdotes about illegal sites and complaints about rubbish and poor sanitation. It does not apparently occur to them that the lack of sanitation and rubbish collection on illegal sites is even more distressing for the travellers than it is for the local residents. Illegal sites are necessary for travellers because there are not enough legal sites. One example given in this thread – in Torbay and Paignton – is acknowledged by the Torbay businessmen, and local councilors, to be because of the lack of a local legal site.

There is a vicious circle involved here. Because of prejudice, local people oppose legal sites, leading to illegal sites, nuisance and more prejudice.

On the question of racism, posters have denied that travellers are an ethnic group. They are in fact two recognized ethnic groups: Romanies and Irish Travellers. Irish Travellers are not the same thing as just Irish, and are in fact subjected to discrimination in Eire as well as the UK. ‘Pikey’ is a derogatory term. Imagine what it is like being a traveller child being taunted with ‘Pikey’ and ‘Gyppo’ in the playground. All of these facts are ascertainable by a few minutes research on the internet, so ignorance is not an excuse.

Now, by all means, go on swapping stories about ‘dirty travellers’ and making light-hearted jokes about ‘pikeys’. There are people who regard the Ex-Pat Forum as indelibly racist because of its use of the term ‘ex-pat’ rather than ‘immigrant’. My own husband has been telling me for the last couple of years that it is beneath me contributing to it. I still think the site serves a useful purpose, however, even if it is very poorly moderated, and many of its regular posters appear to have less personal insight than a domestic cat.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 8:17 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
I’ve challenged racism on this site before and I will continue to do so. This is my last post on this thread, however, because I have to put a lot of words on my laptop before a mid-November deadline.

This thread was started by Stormer 999 who claimed that, living in the countryside, there is a danger that an authorized traveller site will be placed near you and a lot of such sites are planned. Neither allegation is true. There are not a lot of authorized sites planned, and authorized traveller sites are not a problem to worry about. Many people live near authorized sites without even being aware that they are doing so. I myself lived near a site for 13 years in London, and was only aware of it because I could see it from the train. Authorised sites are usually placed away from residential accommodation, which means that travellers have to put up with rubbish tips, industrial parks and railway lines as neighbours. Travellers on authorized sites have sanitation and running water and their rubbish is collected by the council. They pay taxes and rent. Having been involved professionally in planning in town and country, I’m fairly confident that there are more authorized sites in towns than the countryside.

A number of posters have related anecdotes about illegal sites and complaints about rubbish and poor sanitation. It does not apparently occur to them that the lack of sanitation and rubbish collection on illegal sites is even more distressing for the travellers than it is for the local residents. Illegal sites are necessary for travellers because there are not enough legal sites. One example given in this thread – in Torbay and Paignton – is acknowledged by the Torbay businessmen, and local councilors, to be because of the lack of a local legal site.

There is a vicious circle involved here. Because of prejudice, local people oppose legal sites, leading to illegal sites, nuisance and more prejudice.

On the question of racism, posters have denied that travellers are an ethnic group. They are in fact two recognized ethnic groups: Romanies and Irish Travellers. Irish Travellers are not the same thing as just Irish, and are in fact subjected to discrimination in Eire as well as the UK. ‘Pikey’ is a derogatory term. Imagine what it is like being a traveller child being taunted with ‘Pikey’ and ‘Gyppo’ in the playground. All of these facts are ascertainable by a few minutes research on the internet, so ignorance is not an excuse.

Now, by all means, go on swapping stories about ‘dirty travellers’ and making light-hearted jokes about ‘pikeys’. There are people who regard the Ex-Pat Forum as indelibly racist because of its use of the term ‘ex-pat’ rather than ‘immigrant’. My own husband has been telling me for the last couple of years that it is beneath me contributing to it. I still think the site serves a useful purpose, however, even if it is very poorly moderated, and many of its regular posters appear to have less personal insight than a domestic cat.
I'd be interested to know the reasoning behind a forum being 'racist' because of its use of 'expat' rather than 'immigrant'? How is it 'racist' to call someone an Expat? I can't understand the logic there?

My domestic cat suggests you refer complaints about moderators to Sue, as per the site rules
Old Sep 27th 2013, 8:32 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I absolute agree with you that racism is indefensible. Having been called a racially-oriented epithet on more than one occasion in a country in which I was a racial minority, I can say it is a disagreeable experience. However, I wouldn't describe it as experiencing racism. Where recism exists, I would fight it alongside anyone else who felt the same.

I also agree with you that people can be misinformed. It is also easy to take examples of behaviour by the few and assume it is indicative of the many. One badly-behaved gypsy camp does not mean the whole lot are a bunch of no-good scallies.

I do think, however, that racism is a serious thing, and as such, when simple ignorance or prejudice towards an ethnic or social subgroup exists, rushing to call it racism only dilutes the true fight against racism. I listened to an amazing R4 piece this morning about perceptions of different accents, with Glasgow and Birmingham coming in for some ludicrously biased judgements about intelligibility - with underlying implications about intelligence. Being a Brummie myself, and a resident of Glasgow, I simply found the evidence of "ethnic prejudice" beneath contempt - not an example of racism.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 9:07 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Sultan of Swing and Chris 955 do you also engage in amusing banter about 'yids ' and 'niggers', or is you racial abuse limited to Romanies?

I see that this site's 'super-moderator' has no problem and just wants to join in.

Disgusting.
Are you one of the professionally offended?
Old Sep 27th 2013, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Are you one of the professionally offended?
Jack!
Old Sep 27th 2013, 9:21 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Sultan of Swing and Chris 955 do you also engage in amusing banter about 'yids ' and 'niggers', or is you racial abuse limited to Romanies?

I see that this site's 'super-moderator' has no problem and just wants to join in.

Disgusting.
I believe they like to call themselves Roma... or "I'll tarmac ya drive for 50 quid my friend, ah come on, ya know ya want it... "
Old Sep 27th 2013, 9:26 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Where I worked in Milton Keynes, some travelers moved in to the field over the road. One day they burst into the office and one of them had a shit on someone's desk. That was obviously pretty gross, but in the main I liked having them there. Work decided it wasn't safe for people to be in the office after dark, so we all got to go home at 4.30pm for the few weeks they were there.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 9:27 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Jack!
Bonjour Sal.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 9:29 pm

Personally I dislike Pikey dags, they shit everywhere and farmers with shotguns, they make it harder to steal their sheep.
Old Sep 27th 2013, 9:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Where I worked in Milton Keynes, some travelers moved in to the field over the road. One day they burst into the office and one of them had a shit on someone's desk. That was obviously pretty gross, but in the main I liked having them there. Work decided it wasn't safe for people to be in the office after dark, so we all got to go home at 4.30pm for the few weeks they were there.
What?? There must be more to that story
Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I believe they like to call themselves Roma... or "I'll tarmac ya drive for 50 quid my friend, ah come on, ya know ya want it... "
Going by 'My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding' (highly academic source), the Roma do appear to have more claim to a culture.
Old Sep 28th 2013, 3:55 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I will tell you what is horrible in the countryside, sometimes our mailman doesnt deliver until 10.30. Its absurd, what is this country coming to ?
10.30 am!!! Oh ffs. I suppose you have to bend down to pick it up off the floor after it's fallen through the letter box in the door too.

That's it.

You can stick yer countryside.

PS: Anyone know if the hunts still get about annoying foxes? I guess that's a rural thing which might annoy. People who are cruel to animals vs animals which are cruel to animals. Same thing maybe...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.