Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

What's horrible in the UK countryside?

What's horrible in the UK countryside?

Old Sep 12th 2013, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's horrible in the UK countryside?

Watch out for the wildlife..........
Attached Thumbnails What's horrible in the UK countryside?-naked-rambler.jpg  
Old Sep 12th 2013, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

.......... and their supporters...........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB37FILg6Hg
Old Sep 12th 2013, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

pasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nicepasturesnew is just really nice

I was sat on a hillside during a recent weekend, in Wales, looking out across a swathe of countryside around Conwy and I noted, not for the first time, when the sun and shadow play across the hills and peaks, the amount of industrial damage, which is left from previous era's. Tops of hills and peaks dug away leaving deep holes and scars. Is quite sad to see, but then the sun and shadow shift again and the scars disappear.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't seen snow in 37 years. (There are snowfields in Vic/NSW, but I never went there).

I am going to make a snowman when I get back. I shall avoid the yellow snow.....

I will also avoid feeding horses-by going into the field. I remember I fed one from a carrier bag over my arm. As I turned away he started following me. I broke into a trot; so did he. I tried to get the bag off my arm, but it seemed glued there-that's what he was after. I started to run; so did he. I could hear and feel his hooves thumping on the ground. Then we both broke into a gallop...
I lost my bearings completely, and all I could see was a thick hedgerow looming up.

I am here to tell you that it is possible to make a hole in a hedge with the sheer force of the body fired with adrenalin born out of raw fear.

I will never feed the ungrateful greedy buggers again.
Old Sep 13th 2013, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
I am going to make a snowman when I get back. I shall avoid the yellow snow

Old Sep 14th 2013, 9:44 am
Just Joined

welshpen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jemima55
No, sorry! I need a supermarket, cinema and restaurants within five miles or I hyperventilate!

The large supermarkets have home delivery service when you shop on line!!!
Old Sep 14th 2013, 5:52 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welshpen

The large supermarkets have home delivery service when you shop on line!!!
Yes, and I'm looking forward to it. Where we are moving in Devon we'll be a long way from the nearest Waitrose, but I'm not bothered because they deliver.

Shopping in Canada is such a bore. It seems to take us half of every Saturday getting all our supplies, having to drive everywhere, wander round big stores, then drive again, wander round another store etc. I've never lived in such an inconvenient place. Back in Britain I can live in one of England's remotest spots and do my shopping with the click of a mouse!
Old Sep 14th 2013, 9:06 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha

Shopping in Canada is such a bore. It seems to take us half of every Saturday getting all our supplies, having to drive everywhere, wander round big stores, then drive again, wander round another store etc. I've never lived in such an inconvenient place. Back in Britain I can live in one of England's remotest spots and do my shopping with the click of a mouse!

As a child in the UK beginning of the 50's there were still folks that used ration coupons - I know we had

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/d...00/3818563.stm

I also remember being in the local corner shop seeing folks buying one egg, a cup worth of sugar, two or three potatoes, one or two slices of chopped ham & pork, spam or boiled ham, 2oz butter or a thimble of Indian brandy for tummy upsets etc & you know when you realize that's all you or a family living in a small community needed for daily consumption (add something to the list), why on earth do folks need to stock large amounts of food then end up throwing half of it away cos its spoiled.

I also remember & I believe this still happens in the veg markets - a person can buy a piece of cucumber, half a cabbage ....

Today in middle Britain I am aware that many folks wait till supermarkets are about to close when daily items such as bread stuff & chickens, pies are marked down as much as 75%. They load up & drive away in their posh cars.

Not too many people walking miles to save a bob or two to spend on penny saving groceries anywhere.

As for the OP 'whats horrible in the UK countryside' - my opinion is there isn't enough of it. The UK is overpopulated, short spaces between towns & villages, everyone on top of each other & having lived in Canada I'm just wondering if moving back folks will get claustrophobic.

Last edited by not2old; Sep 14th 2013 at 9:09 pm.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 7:30 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Im struggling to think of anything, sometimes I have to wait 20 seconds to get out of a junction. Having to dodge cow pats while walking the dog. No litter around here or at least very little. Something that is more amusing than horrible is looking out the window and seeing someone else taking a photo of the house
Old Sep 16th 2013, 10:16 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Where I used to live we were on a trunk road from the midlands to the Lincolnshire coast and it also was the route to Cadwell Park motor racing circuit. In summer we usually had at least on group of people knocking on the door with either a 'Whwere's the nearest petrol statio, wer're nearly out of fuel', or, 'can we use your phone, we've broken down just up the road and need to call the AA/RAC/my parents/my brother' even 'can you help us, we've had a tyre blow out, and haven't got a spare(!!!)' We actually kept a spare can of petrol, and even had a spare wheel of one of our old cars, which fortunately fitted one the cars without a spare. We had a cordless phone that we alowed them to use, but they had to stay in the porch, not letting them in just in case. One genuine case was a young girl on a scooter which had broken down, and her (ex)boyfriend had just left her to struggle, she had already pushed it half a mile. We let her leave it in our front yard, and then I drove her home to the next town (about 10 miles). She did get it collected the next day, and left a note + £10 as thanks.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
:

As for the OP 'whats horrible in the UK countryside' - my opinion is there isn't enough of it. The UK is overpopulated, short spaces between towns & villages, everyone on top of each other & having lived in Canada I'm just wondering if moving back folks will get claustrophobic.
As some have said previously I think they have experience the other extreme of no one around for miles in Canada or parts of Nevada.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old

As a child in the UK beginning of the 50's there were still folks that used ration coupons - I know we had

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/d...00/3818563.stm

I also remember being in the local corner shop seeing folks buying one egg, a cup worth of sugar, two or three potatoes, one or two slices of chopped ham & pork, spam or boiled ham, 2oz butter or a thimble of Indian brandy for tummy upsets etc & you know when you realize that's all you or a family living in a small community needed for daily consumption (add something to the list), why on earth do folks need to stock large amounts of food then end up throwing half of it away cos its spoiled.

I also remember & I believe this still happens in the veg markets - a person can buy a piece of cucumber, half a cabbage ....

Today in middle Britain I am aware that many folks wait till supermarkets are about to close when daily items such as bread stuff & chickens, pies are marked down as much as 75%. They load up & drive away in their posh cars.

Not too many people walking miles to save a bob or two to spend on penny saving groceries anywhere.

I certainly feel claustrophobic in Britain. Houses crowded together unless you live in the sticks, crowded roads, crowded towns.
But I do find enough countryside away from it all although I have to pick and choose time and place.

Whats wrong with the countryside is the people that go there without respect. Excessive speeds on tight lanes, impatience behind tractors, scrambling to get dinner in the latest Sunday Supplement restaurant, letting dogs loose amongst livestock to scare, maim and kill.
Old Sep 16th 2013, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
I certainly feel claustrophobic in Britain. Houses crowded together unless you live in the sticks, crowded roads, crowded towns.
But I do find enough countryside away from it all although I have to pick and choose time and place.

Whats wrong with the countryside is the people that go there without respect. Excessive speeds on tight lanes, impatience behind tractors, scrambling to get dinner in the latest Sunday Supplement restaurant, letting dogs loose amongst livestock to scare, maim and kill.
Oh dear, this has really got me worried. When I leave my shoebox to stretch my legs, I suppose I'd better take a big stick or something. You never know with all the cross breeding (and I'm an expert on cross breeding), what can happen if the dogs get bored with killing and maiming the sheep.
I don't want to stagger back to my retirement flat covered in blood with the seat ripped out of my pants.

It's so undignified.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 3:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

J.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond reputeJ.JsOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
Oh dear, this has really got me worried. When I leave my shoebox to stretch my legs, I suppose I'd better take a big stick or something. You never know with all the cross breeding (and I'm an expert on cross breeding), what can happen if the dogs get bored with killing and maiming the sheep.
I don't want to stagger back to my retirement flat covered in blood with the seat ripped out of my pants.

It's so undignified.
I've been charged at by loose snarling dogs on a couple occasions and the owner says something like 'don't worry, he's harmless'. But mostly no problems, only with their deposits left on country paths.
Old Sep 17th 2013, 3:28 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by J.JsOH
I've been charged at by loose snarling dogs on a couple occasions and the owner says something like 'don't worry, he's harmless'. But mostly no problems, only with their deposits left on country paths.
We are having increasing problems with dangerous dogs. Typically something you think of as an urban problem (I see lots of pit-bull types on my way to and from work). I live in a semi-rural area (a medium-sized village with dog-walking going on everywhere from the local football field and kids' playground to country paths). Interesting to read your comment - a common response here seems to be "He's only playing", or "They are only being dogs". That's fine if it's not your dog having its ear ripped off.

However, as with many things most people are very responsible - it's the minority of stupid dog owners that spoil it for everyone else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.