Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

What to take back - What's cheaper in US than UK

What to take back - What's cheaper in US than UK

Old May 19th 2014, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to take back - What's cheaper in US than UK

Originally Posted by Vadio
Yes it is, and the sheets are wonderful; 700 thread count, and generously sized. Washed like a dream (I think I need another set....)
Good to know US Queen fits a UK King, too. I think I will take sheets with me.
Old May 22nd 2014, 12:55 am
Just Joined

OdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
What helped me was to decide what I "needed" to take and also what mementos I "had" to take. The rest was sold or junked. Be prepared to grieve the items you leave behind, though. It's amazing how connected we are to our surroundings and our belongings are part of those surroundings. At all times, think forwards. You are going home and that's the most important goal.
For me, the mementos would be about all I could take. After packing my kid’s art projects, favorite old toys and books, etc. I will have no room for anything else unless I rent the QE II. I will probably find a spot for some of those $8 for 3 pairs Walmart reading glasses though. I need at least 15 pairs if I’m to stand a chance of finding one pair when I need them. They are probably expensive back in UK.
Old May 22nd 2014, 2:04 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OdysseusLite
For me, the mementos would be about all I could take. After packing my kid’s art projects, favorite old toys and books, etc. I will have no room for anything else unless I rent the QE II. I will probably find a spot for some of those $8 for 3 pairs Walmart reading glasses though. I need at least 15 pairs if I’m to stand a chance of finding one pair when I need them. They are probably expensive back in UK.
I seem to remember Asda had some at £1.99 before I left. They're not as cheap, but not that expensive either. Not sure on what strengths they do though as (touchwood) don't need them yet
Old May 25th 2014, 2:58 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Scouse and I have been discussing this - what to leave, what to take. Although Scouse insists that the house is 'ours', it was the house that he and his wife built and furnished so they're not really my things - don't know if that makes sense but it does to me.

I've always been very careful to leave things just as they were when I moved in, even down to the photos of Bill's first wife (dec) on the walls. This was his wife and the kids' Mum, and I think she has a right to be on the walls! Oh hang on - I did replace the cushions once when Bill was offshore. He'd chosen them and they were hideous

Anyway (I'm rambling again), Scouse must have been conscious of this all along, although he never said anything. While we were umming and erring over what to take, he ever so gently suggested that it might be nice for us to furnish our new home together completely from scratch. Bless his heart. So apart from a few personal things, we're taking exactly nothing
Old May 25th 2014, 3:35 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from our Apple Mac laptops and iPads, I'm taking a Nutcase bicycle helmet. You can get them in the UK, but they are slightly more expensive and I wanted a watermelon design. I've never seen it on sale in the UK, but here it is one of the favourite patterns because it is the uniform of Sastkatchewan Roughrider fans.
Old May 25th 2014, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Apart from our Apple Mac laptops and iPads, I'm taking a Nutcase bicycle helmet. You can get them in the UK, but they are slightly more expensive and I wanted a watermelon design. I've never seen it on sale in the UK, but here it is one of the favourite patterns because it is the uniform of Sastkatchewan Roughrider fans.
I will be taking a few craft supplies and some pictures, at least that's the plan at the moment. Will decide for sure when I find out how much it costs to send/mail the craft supplies. Plus, like you, my computer equipment.
Old May 25th 2014, 4:01 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
I seem to remember Asda had some at £1.99 before I left. They're not as cheap, but not that expensive either. Not sure on what strengths they do though as (touchwood) don't need them yet
Plenty of places cheaper than ASDA, places like Poundland have them at 2 pair for £1, and up to 3x. I bought some when waiting for new lenses to be fitted in my glasses.
Old May 25th 2014, 4:05 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad I'm not the only one The common place I find them after searching for ages is on my head.
Old May 25th 2014, 4:44 pm
Banned

r0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I'm glad I'm not the only one The common place I find them after searching for ages is on my head.
Ha Ha-Me too, sometimes I even have two pairs on my head :-)
Old May 25th 2014, 11:06 pm
Just Joined

OdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond reputeOdysseusLite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
True confessions - I have actually tried putting on my glasses while already wearing another pair. More than once! It's good to know they are cheap in the UK too. That's one less thing to take.
Old May 26th 2014, 12:36 am
Banned

r0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud of

True confessions - I have actually tried putting on my glasses while already wearing another pair. More than once! It's good to know they are cheap in the UK too. That's one less thing to take.
Too funny :-)
Old May 26th 2014, 2:34 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

i've always thought that you were an articulate and intelligent human being.

Now I'm not so sure.
Old May 26th 2014, 3:09 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I have a friend here who is a Roughriders fan from Saskatchewan. I've never actually watched a football match, but I think the fans are fun. When there was a Grey Cup match in Edmo the Downtown area was full of people in green wearing watermelons on their heads, like an invasion by demented, overweight Leprechauns.
Old May 26th 2014, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have a friend here who is a Roughriders fan from Saskatchewan. I've never actually watched a football match, but I think the fans are fun. When there was a Grey Cup match in Edmo the Downtown area was full of people in green wearing watermelons on their heads, like an invasion by demented, overweight Leprechauns.
LOVE this expression lol!!
Old May 27th 2014, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

Having shipped a couple of cubic metres of stuff, I am now trying to get rid of most of it as I've move on from that person I was a year ago before the move. With hindsight I would have shipped just one box of important things - sentimental things, silly things, quirky things, things that make me smile - and not given a thought to what they cost.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.