Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

What to take back - What's cheaper in US than UK

What to take back - What's cheaper in US than UK

Old May 10th 2014, 2:20 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to take back - What's cheaper in US than UK

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
You have to factor in the cost of getting it there though.
Do any US retailers offer deals on international shipping?

I ask because M&S run specials on shipping to the US and Canada. Quite often, actually. That is how I have gotten UK duvets and bedsets over to the states. Cheaper than having family ship goods to us and way easier than lugging stuff back in a suitcase.
Old May 10th 2014, 2:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebeccajo

I ask because M&S run specials on shipping to the US and Canada. Quite often, actually. That is how I have gotten UK duvets and bedsets over to the states. Cheaper than having family ship goods to us and way easier than lugging stuff back in a suitcase.
Good point. My daughter was saying she'd probably continue to buy clothes she likes online.
Old May 10th 2014, 2:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Levi's jeans are a fraction of the cost that you'll pay in the UK. Branded trainers likewise.
Thanks for the tip, BritinParis. I will throw in a few pairs of slim leg jeans and some trainers.
Old May 10th 2014, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Well, that and petrol, but I don't think it's particularly practical to start putting fuel cans in your carry-on
Old May 10th 2014, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by WEBlue
If you're moving an American bed back to the UK, bringing linens that fit it are a good idea. If not, don't bring the linens. American bed sizes run larger than their British counterparts, if I recall correctly.

But if you find a good deal on a decent US comforter, I would go ahead and buy it; a large enough comforter can fit several bed sizes.....
Not a bed. I already got rid of all my furniture I was considering taking some lines, though, if I can work out bed sizes in the UK and what will fit. Also, towels.
Old May 10th 2014, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dunroving
I posted at length in a thread about this a while back and I think Englishmum said you can get proper "Zipper" type ziplok bags from Lakeland.

I still have loads left from my last "delivery" (friends coming from the US).

They are easy enough and light enough that it wouldn't hurt to throw in a couple of hundred - probably cheap enough from Wal-Mart, too!

I use, re-use, re-re-use and ... until they just about wear out so I get my money's worth out of them.
While these Ziploc bags are good, I can let go of them and leave them behind. It's one little step toward being a Brit again.
Old May 10th 2014, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
You have to factor in the cost of getting it there though.

Things like casual clothing are cheaper here I think, but I wonder if it will look right in the UK.
I have always preferred British/Continental styles anyway. Aside from a few things that are very much less expensive here, I will get my clothes in the UK/Europe. By the way, there are some online UK shops that service the USA for clothing, too.
Old May 10th 2014, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tesco has a zippy bag. Never used them but they are shown on their website.

I prefer Marks and Spencer bed linen to anything I can buy in the USA.
Very interesting. M&S was always a good source of household things when I lived there. Must still be true.

Quite honestly, I have got rid of almost everything already. There's very little I would take back from here, probably in truth because I prefer to leave the U.S. behind.

I will only be taking items related to my hobbies (quite a stash of supplies that would be expensive to replace), my clothes, and a few things it would make sense to take back, such as one or two things that are much less expensive here . . . and perhaps things it is "wise" to take back, although I don't know of anything that fits the latter category (yet). I do have a few framed pictures I am taking, though, as they were created specially for me and have meaning attached to them. I can survive easily without taking "stuff" back but I can't live without going home!

Last edited by windsong; May 10th 2014 at 2:59 pm.
Old May 10th 2014, 3:33 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing I can remember that I wish I'd bought home was a couple more pairs of comfy tennis shoes/trainers, whatever you want to call them. The cheaper ones here from places like Sports direct are not comfy, and the comfy ones are much more expensive. Seeing my feet are as big as they'll ever get buying ahead would be fine. That and I didn't replace my swimsuit that was worn out, I don't really like the ones I've seen here so far. I do like the Nautica ones from US.
Old May 10th 2014, 3:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
The only thing I can remember that I wish I'd bought home was a couple more pairs of comfy tennis shoes/trainers, whatever you want to call them. The cheaper ones here from places like Sports direct are not comfy, and the comfy ones are much more expensive. Seeing my feet are as big as they'll ever get buying ahead would be fine. That and I didn't replace my swimsuit that was worn out, I don't really like the ones I've seen here so far. I do like the Nautica ones from US.
Yes, I will definitely take some tennis shoes with me if they are that expensive over there. I need new ones anyway so I might as well buy a couple of pairs. Do they wear them as much over there as they do in the USA?
Old May 10th 2014, 4:11 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
I was considering taking some lines, though, if I can work out bed sizes in the UK and what will fit.
I've found it a bit complicated to figure out, and it depends on the size bed you'll get in the UK. Double bed size in the UK is pretty similar to the north American "full" size bed. But the UK's "king" is like the USA's "queen".

Here's a site that tries to explain what's what in bed sizes around the world:
http://www.bedsizes.biz/doublebed.htm
Old May 10th 2014, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by WEBlue
I've found it a bit complicated to figure out, and it depends on the size bed you'll get in the UK. Double bed size in the UK is pretty similar to the north American "full" size bed. But the UK's "king" is like the USA's "queen".

Here's a site that tries to explain what's what in bed sizes around the world:
http://www.bedsizes.biz/doublebed.htm
Thank you! This is very helpful. It sounds, though, as if it is probably better not to take bed linens just to be safe.
Old May 10th 2014, 4:21 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Thank you! This is very helpful. It sounds, though, as if it is probably better not to take bed linens just to be safe.
I just tried to respond to your post re Eddie Bauer down coats, but it has gone astray. Anyway, I brought mine back and wore it the first winter back, but not this year. I did bring back some bed linen, that I already owned, as a Cdn Queen fits a UK King Size. I bought a couple of bed skirts/valances from Resoration Hardware as I could not find a similar quality in the UK.

Just found my other post, it is in a different thread. LOL!

Last edited by lf1; May 10th 2014 at 4:25 pm.
Old May 10th 2014, 4:21 pm
Banned

r0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud ofr0briley has much to be proud of

I really wasn't planning on bringing much back but now that I have booked with Icelandair and me and my son each have a two checked bag allowance it's a whole other ball game (I'm sure when it comes down to it though they'll probably be filled with shoes, bags and clothes that I was prepared to but don't really want to part with)
Having a hard day today-I have a half full dumpster and am struggling to find things to fill it with! Don't get me wrong I still have a houseful of stuff but it things that I'm hoping people will buy at one of my tag sales.
Old May 10th 2014, 4:22 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

I think Pottery Barn and Crate & Barrel do, not sure about the dept. stores.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.