Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

What to take back - What's cheaper in US than UK

What to take back - What's cheaper in US than UK

Old May 27th 2014, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to take back - What's cheaper in US than UK

Originally Posted by happyglow
Having shipped a couple of cubic metres of stuff, I am now trying to get rid of most of it as I've move on from that person I was a year ago before the move. With hindsight I would have shipped just one box of important things - sentimental things, silly things, quirky things, things that make me smile - and not given a thought to what they cost.
I understand this. Once we break our attachment to our possessions, these are the only things that really matter.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

EEK! The Cuisinart panini maker that I paid $60 for in the USA is over 100 GBP on Amazon UK!!!!!!!!!!

Cuisinart GR-11 Griddler 3-in-1 Grill and Panini Press, Garden, Lawn, Maintenance: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors Cuisinart GR-11 Griddler 3-in-1 Grill and Panini Press, Garden, Lawn, Maintenance: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors

I found two and they are both around the same price.

My pressure cooker that I paid $60 for in the USA is also over 100 GBP!

Fagor Splendid 6-Quart Pressure Cooker, Garden, Lawn, Maintenance: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors Fagor Splendid 6-Quart Pressure Cooker, Garden, Lawn, Maintenance: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors

Are UK cooking gadgets really four times the price in general?

Last edited by windsong; Jun 23rd 2014 at 1:20 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 1:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

The 2 posts above don't really go together
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
???

To me, they do. The title of the thread is "What's cheaper in US than UK". Maybe I missed something here?
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 1:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
???

To me, they do. The title of the thread is "What's cheaper in US than UK". Maybe I missed something here?
Calm down. Do you really need a Panini maker? Surely you can knock up a sandwich.

If you're looking for reasons not to go, pick something more important.

OK I'll ban myself now.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Calm down. Do you really need a Panini maker? Surely you can knock up a sandwich.

If you're looking for reasons not to go, pick something more important.

OK I'll ban myself now.
Good grief! Total ignorance.

Last edited by windsong; Jun 23rd 2014 at 1:30 am.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 1:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

EEK! The Cuisinart panini maker that I paid $60 for in the USA is over 100 GBP on Amazon UK!!!!!!!!!!

Cuisinart GR-11 Griddler 3-in-1 Grill and Panini Press, Garden, Lawn, Maintenance: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors

Fagor Splendid 6-Quart Pressure Cooker, Garden, Lawn, Maintenance: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors

I would be very cautious about taking anything that heats up back to the UK...even if it's dual voltage. My dual voltage hairdryer and straighteners burnt out. I know others who have had the similar problems. A huge fire hazard.

Are you still taking all your sewing machines with you?
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 1:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I would be very cautious about taking anything that heats up back to the UK...even if it's dual voltage. My dual voltage hairdryer and straighteners burnt out. I know others who have had the similar problems. A huge fire hazard.

Are you still taking all your sewing machines with you?

I wasn't planning to take the panini maker or the pressure cooker but did plan on replacing them in the UK - until I saw the price!!!

I heard that about items with a heating element so I won't take any of them, including my breadmaker which was expensive even in the US. I do love it, though, but it has to stay behind.

I will replace the sewing machine in the UK.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 1:40 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Good grief! Total ignorance.
Well that's rude.
???

That wasn't was she was referring to when she posted this:

She was commenting on this post:

I understand this. Once we break our attachment to our possessions, these are the only things that really matter.
Which you immediately followed with this one:

Cuisinart GR-11 Griddler 3-in-1 Grill and Panini Press, Garden, Lawn, Maintenance: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors

Fagor Splendid 6-Quart Pressure Cooker, Garden, Lawn, Maintenance: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors

It was quite amusing in a totally harmless gentle way because whilst you're obviously trying to cut attachment to kitchen equipment, it would appear from the post that you've still got some way to go.

If you're going to have to have big ugly transformers to make the equipment work, then personally I'd flog it all before you leave. especially as you don't know where you'll be living so it could all be in storage for a fair while.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

You insist on being troublesome, just like Sally Redux with her rude comment about "Can't I just knock up a sandwich".

I do not find her manner amusing in the slightest. Instead of putting a stop to it as a mod should, you encourage it or back it up, just like you did in the other thread. As I said, a total lack of class and complete ignorance.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 1:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

You insist on being troublesome, just like Sally Redux with her rude comment about "Can't I just knock up a sandwich".

I do not find her manner amusing in the slightest. Instead of putting a stop to it as a mod should, you encourage it or back it up, just like you did in the other thread. As I said, a total lack of class and complete ignorance.
FYI Moneypenny is not a mod for this forum. Polyanna has already told you today how to find a list of mods for this forum. She also told you what to do if you find a post offensive.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 1:55 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Just curious, but what did you teach back when you were a teacher?
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 1:55 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a mod in here, just a regular poster. No one's being rude to you, Sally was actually being helpful. You're asking about what to take back, you then mentioned that it would be good to lose attachment to kitchen appliances. Sally was suggesting that a Panini maker is unnecessary when you could have a fry pan do the same thing. Why do you take every comment as a negative?

Why am I being troublesome simply because I was being kind enough (or so I thought) to explain Sally's comment that you didn't (from my perspective) understand? Why am I being troublesome for saying what I would do in your situation? You don't have to take anyone's suggestions on board but you don't have to knock them for making them. It's a public forum, you've asked a question and people are trying to help but you keep knocking them back. What do you want people to say? We all understand the stress you're under and are attempting to help alleviate that stress. Stop taking everything the wrong way, please.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

By eck, we seem to have moved back to under fives. This person stands NO chance integrating into UK life with zero sense of humour.

Just off to knock up a sandwich
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Does Windsong actually have a place to stay yet??

I'm guessing it's going to be very hard to find a place loaded down with all this extraneous stuff and two dogs...in particular the dogs seem to be causing a lot of stress and have her running in circles.

I'm not addressing her directly because I'm pretty sure I'm on her 'ignore' list. Still I'd think that sorting that out might be more of a priority atm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.