Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

What is the positive in returning to UK

What is the positive in returning to UK

Old Jun 24th 2015, 11:18 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is the positive in returning to UK

Originally Posted by amideislas

Brits do seem to exhibit an elevated sensitivity or even adversity to things 'not British'. The food is shite, the beer is shite, the meat is shite.. the way they hold a fork is shite.. they way they say 'fraance' is shite... Drivers are idiots...I hear it all the time on expat forums like this, as well as personally from other Brits.
Do you fall into that category, if not, why not - what makes you different from the other Brits living in Spain?

But I never hear that stuff from Americans. In fact, Brits often view America with despise, but conversely, (if they have any opinion at all) Americans generally express positive views of the UK, Europe, etc. Perhaps out of ignorance, but they just don't seem to have the same predisposition to dislike it.

Americans who visit us are delighted to take in the local atmosphere, and I've never heard a complaint that there's no McDonalds or TGI Fridays down the street.... I do hear lots of complaints about Spanish, Germans, crap food, no proper cuppa, no HP sauce etc. from Brits, but precious few complaints about Brits from other nationalities
do you chose to select or associate only with certain groups of people & within that group select ones which see your view point & discard the rest?

Just saying ......
Old Jun 25th 2015, 7:56 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1

The food is different in canada. They cater for US/Canadian tastes.
The cheese is made of ear wax, the sausages came in different flavours, none of them nice (IMO), the bread is too sugary, as are lots of their food, the chocolate is...well lets just not go there!
The Chinese is too greasy.
They don't have extra thick double cream. Milk tastes of milk but bloody expensive compared to here.
I never eat McDonalds, BK, KFC or similar anymore as it's just gross.
They have Sobeys & Canadian Superstore which, correct me if I'm wrong, we don't have here in the UK. Yes they have Safeway in some places, not where we were so can't comment if they do decent food.
Walmart is sh1t, hated going in there, depressing.

They can't drive. They turn the key and point their cars in the vaguely right direction & pray.

They are all too positive. They hate bad news so you don't really hear about all the crap that's actually going on. The amount of people that jump off the harbour bridge, the shootings, the car jackings, etc was all put into a tiny box on page 29 of the local paper.

I am mainly taking the p1ss but most of it stands as true. Canada is NOT the same as the UK!
Well, there you go. If it ain't British, it's shite. Exemplifying the common stereotype.

With that in mind, it occurs to me that a Brit moving almost anywhere would likely find it more culturally unpalatable than say, a Canadian moving to Britain. After all, moving from shite to shinola could only be a positive step.

I used to believe that those attitudes amongst Brits were the result of some sort of nationalism. But if you watch English TV, it certainly appears that Brits like to whinge endlessly about how shite everything is in Britain, too. That leads me to suspect it's not about nationalism, but that Brits may simply have a cultural inclination to whinge about everything.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 7:59 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Well, there you go. If it ain't British, it's shite. Exemplifying the common stereotype.

With that in mind, it occurs to me that a Brit moving almost anywhere would likely find it more culturally unpalatable than say, a Canadian moving to Britain. After all, moving from shite to shinola could only be a positive step.

I used to believe that those attitudes amongst Brits were the result of some sort of nationalism. But if you watch English TV, it certainly appears that Brits like to whinge endlessly about how shite everything is in Britain, too. That leads me to suspect it's not about nationalism, but that Brits may simply have a cultural inclination to whinge about everything.
This sounds very much like trolling
Old Jun 25th 2015, 8:03 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
Do you fall into that category, if not, why not - what makes you different from the other Brits living in Spain?
Well, I've been living abroad for so long, I honestly don't personally identify with any particular nationality anymore.

Originally Posted by not2old
do you chose to select or associate only with certain groups of people & within that group select ones which see your view point & discard the rest?
Just saying ......
Well we are active in the community, we have close relationships with many nationalities, but yes, most of our closer relationships are with those who subscribe to a 'broader' view. As demonstrated here, obviously, that mindset isn't always palatable to those who subscribe to a narrower view, but I can't change that, nor should I try. People are entitled to their opinions.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 8:50 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I used to believe that those attitudes amongst Brits were the result of some sort of nationalism. But if you watch English TV, it certainly appears that Brits like to whinge endlessly about how shite everything is in Britain, too. That leads me to suspect it's not about nationalism, but that Brits may simply have a cultural inclination to whinge about [I]everything[/I].
...errr yeah. Most people do like to have a good old whinge. As Lorry1 implied, who want's to be positive all the time.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 8:58 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Most of my post was tongue n cheek, but Canada is not the UK. The culture, food, social scene, cars, shopping experiences, etc, are very different.

Bored now.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 8:59 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Your summary of Canadian culture is so accurate, it makes me want to weep.

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
With joy I assume?

I'm lucky, I can luxuriate in the culture for another 9 whole days!!
Old Jun 25th 2015, 11:24 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Then why waste it on a tragic fantasy?
How do you know it would be tragic? If you have a crystal ball, perhaps you could let me know what's in store for me

I'm always impressed when people are willing and eager for change at any stage of life, and I'm going to go out on a limb and assume the OP is an intelligent adult who can think for himself.

He's asking questions, presumably because he's exploring the idea. If he decides it will be a mistake, no doubt he won't come.

To answer the original question: positives for me are beautiful countryside, lots of arts and culture even in small towns, great pubs, friendly people, lots of laughs, feeling like I belong, a sense of history everywhere, lots of interesting things to do and see within a short drive, the NHS, generally intelligent, well-informed people, the BBC, relatively sane politics (I came from the US!), temperate climate, ... the list goes on and on.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 11:47 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
How do you know it would be tragic? If you have a crystal ball, perhaps you could let me know what's in store for me

I'm always impressed when people are willing and eager for change at any stage of life, and I'm going to go out on a limb and assume the OP is an intelligent adult who can think for himself.

He's asking questions, presumably because he's exploring the idea. If he decides it will be a mistake, no doubt he won't come.

To answer the original question: positives for me are beautiful countryside, lots of arts and culture even in small towns, great pubs, friendly people, lots of laughs, feeling like I belong, a sense of history everywhere, lots of interesting things to do and see within a short drive, the NHS, generally intelligent, well-informed people, the BBC, relatively sane politics (I came from the US!), temperate climate, ... the list goes on and on.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
The OP has said that he will be over here in October. In context he appeared to mean permanently. I do think he should be strongly advised to go more slowly. Others have suggested that he should spend one or two holidays here first, which seems a good idea.

He has also said that he has never obtained Canadian citizenship, despite spending virtually all of his life in Canada. He should be strongly advised to obtain the security of citizenship before he makes the move.

There is a difference between being foolhardy and being brave.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 1:42 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

The OP has said that he will be over here in October. In context he appeared to mean permanently. I do think he should be strongly advised to go more slowly. Others have suggested that he should spend one or two holidays here first, which seems a good idea.

He has also said that he has never obtained Canadian citizenship, despite spending virtually all of his life in Canada. He should be strongly advised to obtain the security of citizenship before he makes the move.

There is a difference between being foolhardy and being brave.
Disagree. He's had plenty of time to obtain citizenship if he wanted it, but he's felt it not necessary.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 1:50 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

But he's not thought about leaving before. It could be disastrous if he makes a precipitous move to the UK, then regrets his decision.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 1:59 pm
Yo

But he's not thought about leaving before. It could be disastrous if he makes a precipitous move to the UK, then regrets his decision.
Good. He should put his money where his mouth is after all these years. Why on earth someone would spend that amount if time in Canada and not take up dual citizenship is beyond me. Must have something to do with flying the Union Jack in the garden.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 2:31 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

You are a hard man Shard.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1

The food is different in canada. They cater for US/Canadian tastes.
The cheese is made of ear wax, the sausages came in different flavours, none of them nice (IMO), the bread is too sugary, as are lots of their food, the chocolate is...well lets just not go there!
The Chinese is too greasy.
They don't have extra thick double cream. Milk tastes of milk but bloody expensive compared to here.
I never eat McDonalds, BK, KFC or similar anymore as it's just gross.
They have Sobeys & Canadian Superstore which, correct me if I'm wrong, we don't have here in the UK. Yes they have Safeway in some places, not where we were so can't comment if they do decent food.
Walmart is sh1t, hated going in there, depressing.

They can't drive. They turn the key and point their cars in the vaguely right direction & pray.

They are all too positive. They hate bad news so you don't really hear about all the crap that's actually going on. The amount of people that jump off the harbour bridge, the shootings, the car jackings, etc was all put into a tiny box on page 29 of the local paper.

I am mainly taking the p1ss but most of it stands as true. Canada is NOT the same as the UK!
That sums up Canada and I have lived here 14 years!
I am looking forward to going shopping again in UK!
Would also recommend the OP get his citizenship, I know, as I made that mistake living in UK and not getting citizenship never ever thinking we would leave Canada and contemplate a return to UK . Immigration rules can change at a drop of a hat!

Last edited by feelbritish; Jun 25th 2015 at 2:45 pm.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 2:45 pm
Yo

You are a hard man Shard.
I'm a meanie chimp face

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.