What makes Britain Great?

Old Aug 26th 2014, 1:10 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What makes Britain Great?

Originally Posted by Mallory

Only county I don't much like is Herefordshire. Would never want to live there.
Oh.....it's like America then is it?
Old Aug 26th 2014, 1:23 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Why are you discussing Obama in the What Makes Britain Great thread? Why don't you open a thread called Why I Dislike America?
1) The subject of gun control came up well before I posted, I was responding to that

2) If you care to read my previous posts, you will see how silly your assumption that I dislike America is

3) Mind your own business, I can and will post what I like
Old Aug 26th 2014, 1:27 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank god for that.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 1:32 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
1) The subject of gun control came up well before I posted, I was responding to that

2) If you care to read my previous posts, you will see how silly your assumption that I dislike America is

3) Mind your own business, I can and will post what I like
Oh I see you two havent met before
Old Aug 26th 2014, 1:37 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Grayling
Oh.....it's like America then is it?
What a coincidence Herefordshire was the only county he didnt like, its almost as if it was just to....actually no that would be way too childish
Old Aug 26th 2014, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

I still get gobsmacked by the number of people who are happy to condemn a whole nation, based on the decisions of their leaders and a culture they have inherited and grew up in. Don't denigrate those who oppose the US gun culture by sticking the entire population in a homogeneous pot. It's akin to taking the least desirable element of British* society and culture, and saying you're all the same.
* substitute any nationality/culture/religion you like.

Exactly. It would be a bit like me not wanting to live in a British village or near a post office because of witnessing a singular incident. Ridiculous assertions brought on by lack of intelligent thought, generalisations and stereotyping, the bane of civil discourse.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 3:22 pm
Banned

Old Aug 26th 2014, 3:28 pm
Banned

Agree totally with that, particularly about the ease of access to weapons for the disgruntled, the mentally ill and the arseholes of society.

Obama did mention using the successful Australian amnesty on illegal guns as a starting point for tighter gun control in the US - in my opinion, it was a sop to the calls for gun control, as he knew damn well it wouldn't happen in the US. I used to be hopeful that Obama would make a difference in this area, but he's bent over for the gun lobby as well. I'm sad for all the decent Americans who just want their kids to be able to walk around and go to school without the risk of being shot.
That seems to be the biggest issue, the checks made before purchasing a gun appear to be woefully inadequate, almost as if there is a fear it will infringe their rights. The last nutter that went on the rampage was seeing 3 different shrinks but still owned legal guns and was able to buy ammunition. The system is completely broken BUT I think it has gone way to far now to be able to turn it around. Who is going to disarm these crazy militia types?
Like you I feel very sad for those Americans that just want their kids to be able to go to school and not face the possibility of another mass murder.
Old Aug 26th 2014, 8:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Herefordshire...that's interesting! My grandparents live just outside of Ledbury.....I've been there a number of times....very quaint and picturesque - plenty of Tudor black and white timbering.

Maybe Herefordshire is....

1 Too rural and fairly sparsely populated? - admittedly all the towns are quite small affairs - even the county town of Hereford is small compared with most other English county towns and also quite rustic in character

2 Many people with an narrow outlook on life? Some - maybe, but not really all that many - a surprising number of people are "immigrating" into the county, especially from South East England

3 Too isolated and bordering on to very rural Wales? Herefordshire does have direct train services to London, Birmingham, Manchester and Cardiff, and the M50 motorway runs through the south east of the county, ending up at Ross-on-Wye........the M50 links up with the M5 motorway near Tewkesbury.

Overall the climate is quite temperate.....statistically not much wetter than London but drier than Manchester and much drier than Cardiff.

Maybe some people are averse or allergic to Hereford cows, scrumpy cider, orchards, exquisite scenery, poetry festivals and Morris dancers....but that's HEREFORDSHIRE for you all over!
Old Aug 27th 2014, 4:57 am
Banned

Old Aug 27th 2014, 5:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

How can Britian be great when stuff like this doesn't happen there? British kids are just so... backward:

Arizona firearms instructor accidentally shot and killed by nine-year-old girl | World news | theguardian.com
Old Aug 27th 2014, 5:36 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
How can Britian be great when stuff like this doesn't happen there? British kids are just so... backward:

Arizona firearms instructor accidentally shot and killed by nine-year-old girl | World news | theguardian.com
I am tempted to say unbelievable but of course it isnt at all. Americas gun culture is totally out of control but read the comments following the story and still there were those trying to defend the indefensible.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 9:48 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe

I think Darwin's theory of natural selection covers this.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 10:09 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

We don't have guns, but it is astonishing what can happen to children under the noses of the community: Failures in Rotherham led to sexual abuse of 1,400 children

Very saddening that this sort of thing can happen in this great country.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 10:24 am
Banned

I dont have much time for Nick Clegg but its hard to disagre with these things. I love the way we dont take ourselves too seriously and can take the piss out of ourselves.
What makes Britain great? - Telegraph

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.