What makes Britain Great?

Old Aug 27th 2014, 10:28 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What makes Britain Great?

Some unusual ones here but again its hard to really disagree with many of them. Whether some make the country great is debatable I guess.
20 reasons why Britain is Great | Express Comment | Comment | Daily Express
Old Aug 27th 2014, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

carolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond reputecarolina212 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Some unusual ones here but again its hard to really disagree with many of them. Whether some make the country great is debatable I guess.
I tried watching Downtown Abbey but I didn't get it (it looks wonderful, tho) -- this is making me want to give it another go!
Old Aug 27th 2014, 11:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

And again the weather When will the media realise that we have great weather for our location. Mentioned it in the other post: Kent has more sunshine hours than Cologne and is on par with Paris.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 11:58 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
And again the weather When will the media realise that we have great weather for our location. Mentioned it in the other post: Kent has more sunshine hours than Cologne and is on par with Paris.
I really dont get it when people say the weather is rubbish seemingly because the sun doesnt shine non stop. We have had a lovely summer but as soon as it turned a bit wet and overcast I started hearing the same stuff again about how the weather is rubbish. Apart from anything else there is just so much more to life than the weather.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 12:00 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by carolina212
I tried watching Downtown Abbey but I didn't get it (it looks wonderful, tho) -- this is making me want to give it another go!
Nobody can do period drama like the English, we did watch a few episodes of Downton Abbey but like you it wasnt our thing. Very well acted, produced etc and the locations were wonderful.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 12:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I really dont get it when people say the weather is rubbish seemingly because the sun doesnt shine non stop. We have had a lovely summer but as soon as it turned a bit wet and overcast I started hearing the same stuff again about how the weather is rubbish. Apart from anything else there is just so much more to life than the weather.
Yes, you'd think people want the UK to be a desert with water shortages.
I bet tea doesn't taste as good in the desert and it would be harder to maintain a garden
Old Aug 27th 2014, 2:21 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
Herefordshire...that's interesting! My grandparents live just outside of Ledbury.....I've been there a number of times....very quaint and picturesque - plenty of Tudor black and white timbering.

Maybe Herefordshire is....

1 Too rural and fairly sparsely populated? - admittedly all the towns are quite small affairs - even the county town of Hereford is small compared with most other English county towns and also quite rustic in character

2 Many people with an narrow outlook on life? Some - maybe, but not really all that many - a surprising number of people are "immigrating" into the county, especially from South East England

3 Too isolated and bordering on to very rural Wales? Herefordshire does have direct train services to London, Birmingham, Manchester and Cardiff, and the M50 motorway runs through the south east of the county, ending up at Ross-on-Wye........the M50 links up with the M5 motorway near Tewkesbury.

Overall the climate is quite temperate.....statistically not much wetter than London but drier than Manchester and much drier than Cardiff.

Maybe some people are averse or allergic to Hereford cows, scrumpy cider, orchards, exquisite scenery, poetry festivals and Morris dancers....but that's HEREFORDSHIRE for you all over!
You wrote in another thread yesterday about why you wouldn't want to live in Switzerland. You said it was clean, beautiful, and very well run. But you said you wouldn't want to live there because you found it boring. I think Herefordshire is beautiful, and probably well run, but it wouldn't be for me. I would find it boring. Same as your opinion of Switzerland. We think alike.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 2:31 pm
Banned

I bet tea doesn't taste as good in the desert and it would be harder to maintain a garden
Having grown up in Victoria in Australia I know all about deserts or at least dry drown countryside and I certainly wouldnt want this beautiful place to look like that. The rain makes things lovely and green and thats the way I like it.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

You don't have to live in a desert to experience water shortages............and as the population grows.............
Attached Thumbnails What makes Britain Great?-11.gif  
Old Aug 27th 2014, 2:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
You don't have to live in a desert to experience water shortages............and as the population grows.............
No definition of what "stress" means so essentially useless. I am going to hazard a guess it's nor California style stress though.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 3:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
True, but at least you have an option to collect your own rain water and we just need to change our ways. I think the problem is far bigger in places like Las Vegas.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 3:15 pm
Fancy a Cuppa?

Rosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond repute

The weather isn't rubbish. It's unpredictable! This keeps things interesting, and is the cause of the British obsession with the weather.
The South East gets lots of sun, however it doesn't get the temperatures as much as elsewhere, and it is windy, which can make it feel colder. Get the wind and the rain together.....
Also being an island it doesn't hold it's heat in the evenings, as a big continent would. But this in turn means we don't get the -20 temps!!
We also don't get the damn MOSQUITOES! sorry, I'm not at all aggravated at night!
Old Aug 27th 2014, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
No definition of what "stress" means so essentially useless. I am going to hazard a guess it's nor California style stress though.
Water stress: Where supply does not keep up with demand. i.e. water shortage.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosie Lee
We also don't get the damn MOSQUITOES! sorry, I'm not at all aggravated at night!

Sorry to disappoint you on that one, there may not be as many of them as in Florida but down in Devon we definitely get mossies.
...And it's not actually that hard to obtain a gun if you want. Most of the farmers round here possess shotguns and just yesterday I took the niece and nephews into the neighbouring field for a spot of shooting coke cans (with air rifles mind, mind you, there is no way I'm giving a five year old a shotgun to play with - not until she can support it's weight and hold it still!!).
...As far as the earlier comment on racism goes, a mate of mine came over to Florida for my marriage recently and was surprised at how many people made openly racist comments, especially towards Mexicans.

On topic:
It's easy to take the range of flora for granted here in the UK, the great English country garden takes some beating.
It's great that I can travel just a few miles to experience a totally different scenery from the one on my doorstep. I've travelled reasonably extensively in Europe and have yet to find another country with such a diverse range of landscape in so small an area.
It's great that I can turn on the tap and know that the water is safe to drink (excepting the odd mishap)
It's also not too shabby knowing there's a National Health Service to pick me up when I fall and not needing a second mortgage if I break my leg.

Last edited by zzrmark; Aug 27th 2014 at 4:04 pm. Reason: Forgot to close italics!
Old Aug 27th 2014, 5:16 pm
Banned

True, but at least you have an option to collect your own rain water and we just need to change our ways. I think the problem is far bigger in places like Las Vegas.
And a great many areas of Australia, we have lived through numerous droughts over the years, not just hose pipe bans but genuine droughts with 100's of 1000's of animals dying, widespread bush fires, lakes drying up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.