Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

What makes Britain completely crap?

What makes Britain completely crap?

Old Mar 7th 2014, 8:34 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What makes Britain completely crap?

Originally Posted by Harvester523
I don't know what business it is of yours, but I'm 59
The changes were made several years ago and were phased in according to your date of birth

Explain how you "suddenly" had to wait another 5 years

It doesn't seem to add up
Old Mar 7th 2014, 8:39 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry if you think I was being deliberately offensive. I was just trying to work out what the basis of your confusion was. Even if it was 30 years ago, it is quite odd to think that you
a) were on a jury with "volunteers" and "professionals" -- not possible.
b) that the court hearing a criminal case made an order regarding custody of children -- also not possible.

And for your information: the system of jury selection in England and Wales has not changed significantly in our lifetimes (I'm 61).
Old Mar 7th 2014, 8:44 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I was due to receive it this year, but just fell foul of the birth date.
So you were in your early 50's when the changes were made.

That is not exactly having "the rug snatched" from under you is it?

.....and many other counties have done exactly the same thing
Old Mar 7th 2014, 8:46 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Well if the topic of discussion is pension dates being changed at short notice, the age of person claiming that is relevant. I may want to look up information pertaining to it to better understand the scenario.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 8:48 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Shard
Well if the topic of discussion is pension dates being changed at short notice, the age of person claiming that is relevant. I may want to look up information pertaining to it to better understand the scenario.
The changes were made in 2007 and the changes were phased in according to your birthdate....It was not a " sudden" change to the rules
Old Mar 7th 2014, 8:51 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Do you not get your state pension at 65?
Old Mar 7th 2014, 8:51 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Grayling
The changes were made in 2007 and the changes were phased in according to your birthdate....It was not a " sudden" change to the rules
I thought the changes were introduced in 2010?
Old Mar 7th 2014, 8:54 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Shard
I thought the changes were introduced in 2010?
The Pensions Act 2007 introduced the changes to retirement age
Old Mar 7th 2014, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Checked the Guardian business section early today for stock movements and there is a headline ref the results for Aviva, the largest UK insurer.

Headline reads:

Insurance group Aviva takes £120m hit from UK storms and flooding

So much for the value of headlines. Any excuse for something negative.

Even the article proper starts with the same flood damage negative.
I don't understand why you think that headline is negative. Surely it's a positive that an insurance company is paying out due to flood damage? The floods themselves were a negative event, but reporting on them was important. An insurance company paying out after the damage is a positive.

I think some people just like to see negativity when it really isn't there.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 11:06 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by roaringmouse

I think some people just like to see negativity when it really isn't there.
Ironic from you
Old Mar 7th 2014, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Ironic from you
Not really.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 5:23 am

Harvester523 is an unknown quantity at this point

The changes were made several years ago and were phased in according to your date of birth

Explain how you "suddenly" had to wait another 5 years

It doesn't seem to add up
Pension age was 60, now it's 65 (for me), it may have been several years ago, but it was still sudden when you're planning for a future that includes a pension.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by Editha
I'm sorry if you think I was being deliberately offensive. I was just trying to work out what the basis of your confusion was. Even if it was 30 years ago, it is quite odd to think that you
a) were on a jury with "volunteers" and "professionals" -- not possible.
b) that the court hearing a criminal case made an order regarding custody of children -- also not possible.

And for your information: the system of jury selection in England and Wales has not changed significantly in our lifetimes (I'm 61).
a) it sounds to me like it would be possible, for people with nothing better to do, to hang around a court, making it known that they are available:
If it appears to the court that a jury to try any issue before the court will be, or probably will be, incomplete, the court may, if the court thinks fit, require any persons who are in, or in the vicinity of, the court, to be summoned (without any written notice) for jury service up to the number needed (after allowing for any who may not be qualified under section 1 of this Act, and for excusals and challenges) to make up a full jury.
b) I never said it was a custody case, and they didn't make any orders regarding custody of the child, but the outcome was a criminal conviction and the child taken into care.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 5:53 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

a) it sounds to me like it would be possible, for people with nothing better to do, to hang around a court, making it known that they are available:

b) I never said it was a custody case, and they didn't make any orders regarding custody of the child, but the outcome was a criminal conviction and the child taken into care.
It may 'sound to you' but that's your imagination working overtime.

As I've already told you, a criminal court can't make a care order.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by Editha
It may 'sound to you' but that's your imagination working overtime.

As I've already told you, a criminal court can't make a care order.
So how do you interpret the rule that says anyone can be selected to make up the numbers?
And as I've already told you, they didn't make a care order.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.