Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

What makes Britain completely crap?

What makes Britain completely crap?

Old Mar 7th 2014, 8:06 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What makes Britain completely crap?

Originally Posted by Editha
No it isn't, wasn't and never has been.

You are clearly confused, but it is difficult to tell how.
Just a guess, but it is possible that you attended a care hearing in the magistrates court. In that case, there would not have been a jury, but a panel of three lay magistrates advised by a court clerk. Lay magistrates are volunteers.

However, you could not have been one of them, or you would not be so ignorant now. You would have either been a witness or a party to the proceedings.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 8:06 pm

Harvester523 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I must be mistaken then, and jurors were telling porkies, if the latter, then I rest my case for the credentials of jurors.

Edit: Thanks for the add on insult that has become so much a part of this site. However you are so wrong, it was a trial by jury, ergo sum, you don't know everything.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 8:07 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harvester523
They more or less admitted it, they were 'professional jurors', i.e. they volunteered - unemployed or retired. They had made up their minds before the case was even heard. Without going into details, it was obvious to me the other person was the guilty party, and distressing as it was a child abuse case. So, the other party got off scot free, and the accused had their child taken away.
I wouldn't trust any jury in Britain, knowing that, there is virtually no vetting process, anyone can do it. I can think of plenty of people who would be incompetent as jurors.
Jurors are selected randomly from the population by the court. Attendance is practically compulsory despite work commitments or booked holiday, although I believe there is some opportunity to postpone. I participated once, and the jury was made up of people from all walks, and every last one did their utmost to reach a just decision in their own minds. There is no "volunteering" for jury duty. To say you wouldn't trust any jury in Britain betrays a complete ignorance of the system.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Editha
Just a guess, but it is possible that you attended a care hearing in the magistrates court. In that case, there would not have been a jury, but a panel of three lay magistrates advised by a court clerk. Lay magistrates are volunteers.

However, you could not have been one of them, or you would not be so ignorant now. You would have either been a witness or a party to the proceedings.
I can't believe you wrote that. I was on a jury, with 11 other people, and you are saying I'm mistaken! No wonder you're retired!
Old Mar 7th 2014, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Shard
Jurors are selected randomly from the population by the court. Attendance is practically compulsory despite work commitments or booked holiday, although I believe there is some opportunity to postpone. I participated once, and the jury was made up of people from all walks, and every last one did their utmost to reach a just decision in their own minds. There is no "volunteering" for jury duty. To say you wouldn't trust any jury in Britain betrays a complete ignorance of the system.
Did you read anything? This was 30 years ago? Do try and get all the facts together before you reply.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 8:16 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Did you read anything? This was 30 years ago? Do try and get all the facts together before you reply.
If your poor experience was so long ago, why do you still harbour such distrust of the UK jury system?
Old Mar 7th 2014, 8:18 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

If your poor experience was so long ago, why do you still harbour such distrust of the UK jury system?
Because it fits in with his bias?
Old Mar 7th 2014, 8:21 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Grayling
Indeed.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 8:22 pm

'hers' thanks. My view of the UK is my opinion, and just because it doesn't agree with the rose tinted set, doesn't make it any less valid.
Shard's response sums up most of the responses. It doesn't matter whether it's relevant or not as long as we say it. We'll ignore any relevant facts.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 8:23 pm
Yo

'hers' thanks. My view of the UK is my opinion, and just because it doesn't agree with the rose tinted set, doesn't make it any less valid.
Shard's response sums up most of the responses. It doesn't matter whether it's relevant or not as long as we say it. We'll ignore any relevant facts.
Pot, kettle, etc.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 8:24 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I still work thanks to the Great British government suddenly pulling the rug out from under us and making me wait another 5 years for my pension - without any warning - so the pound is irrelevant. Where else would you get away with that? You're told all your life that you're going to get a pension, then with no time to make any other arrangements, it's snatched away.
When did that happen

When the pension age changed it was phased in....some, like myself were not affected at all although I am still too young to receive it. My wife was affected but it meant she only had to wait an extra year. If you had to wait 5 years then you must have been nowhere near receiving it imminently when the changes were made
Old Mar 7th 2014, 8:24 pm

black - touchée!
Old Mar 7th 2014, 8:25 pm

When did that happen

When the pension age changed it was phased in....some, like myself were not affected at all although I am still too young to receive it. My wife was affected but it meant she only had to wait an extra year. If you had to wait 5 years then you must have been nowhere near receiving it imminently when the changes were made
I was due to receive it this year, but just fell foul of the birth date.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 8:26 pm
Yo

I was due to receive it this year, but just fell foul of the birth date.
So you are 64?
Old Mar 7th 2014, 8:30 pm

So you are 64?
I don't know what business it is of yours, but I'm 59

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.