Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

What makes Britain completely crap?

What makes Britain completely crap?

Old Mar 7th 2014, 12:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What makes Britain completely crap?

Let me begin by saying that I concede, as the FT has indeed spelled out on a number of occasions in recent months that the Eastern Caribbean is saddled with issues ref drug trafficking and related crime, bad government, unsustainable debt and lack of a vision for the future, not helped by a brain drain,

St Lucia has never wrestled its way out of third world status and the bulk of the population wouldn't know what to expect if it had - hence the problem. In the UK, we at least have the reasonable expectation that there is sufficient talent to bring to bear on any given problem to be able to right the previous wrongs, having first recognised them as wrongs. Some folks wouldn't give rat's arse about this domestic stuff here on Island as they drive around in their latest Audi or Honda SUV and they can live a fine isolated life, but it (the above - top) bothers me in true Don Quixotic style (much like Russell Brand - I guess, in some respects)

but the UK seems to be for ever dealing with the same old underlying issue of DEBT and resultant necessary cuts in the pipeline. We've been on about it on here for the longest while as THE ISSUE to be concerned about and here we go again. The UK cannot raise taxes* as it would cut off the one escape route and avenue to a future which would be caused by a re-burgeoning business/industrial sector - what else could there be to pay the bills?

Anyway, check what success Francois Hollande is having with raising taxes in an uncompetitive France.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/...ublic-finances

See also the FT (source) itself.

* I do however believe that there could be better strategic meetings held by the likes of HMRC, to work out how the collect taxes rightfully owing but not collected, which appear to currently be in excess of 30 billion quid.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Mar 7th 2014 at 1:24 pm. Reason: (much like Russell Brand - I guess)
Old Mar 7th 2014, 12:56 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I can see that for the population as a whole, but I think the UK media also celebrates Britain. Look at how many BBC docs there are on the country's places or history. Plenty of lifestyle articles about perfect pubs and villages. Lots of London trumpeting. Etc etc.
I agree about the brilliant shows on this country and they do indeed celebrate the many wonderful things about Britain. It is more the gutter press that seem to thrive on the doom and gloom. The quality papers not so much.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I agree about the brilliant shows on this country and they do indeed celebrate the many wonderful things about Britain. It is more the gutter press that seem to thrive on the doom and gloom. The quality papers not so much.
By gutter press you are presumably referring to the Financial Times? They have boobs on page 1 - Government boobs!
Old Mar 7th 2014, 1:25 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is set up as a loaded question really, isn't it?

A much more objective question would be "What's crap about Britian", or perhaps more accurately, "What things are crap in the UK?"

That is an easier question to answer because while the UK itself isn't crap, things like the UKIP and channel 4 programmes about dogging and men with tits absolutely are
Old Mar 7th 2014, 1:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
This thread is set up as a loaded question really, isn't it?

A much more objective question would be "What's crap about Britain", or perhaps more accurately, "What things are crap in the UK?"

That is an easier question to answer because while the UK itself isn't crap, things like the UKIP and channel 4 programmes about dogging and men with tits absolutely are
Well indeed, and one could post from that standpoint, but the inability to address the DEBT issue could well turn out to be all-consuming, particularly if you had to raise interest rates to defend the pound a la Turkey, unless you can do a Richard Branson and move to your own island, while still claiming to be an interested Brit.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Mar 7th 2014 at 1:33 pm. Reason: particularly if you had to raise interest rates to defend the pound a la Turkey
Old Mar 7th 2014, 1:34 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
Well indeed, and one could post from that standpoint, but the inability to address the DEBT issue could well turn out to be all-consuming, particularly if you had to raise interest rates to defend the pound a la Turkey, unless you can do a Richard Branson and move to your own island, while still claiming to be an interested Brit.
That still falls under the 'things that happen to be crap in the UK' category. It doesn't make the UK inherently crap though, especially since they are not exactly unique worldwide in an inability to handle their debts.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
That still falls under the 'things that happen to be crap in the UK' category. It doesn't make the UK inherently crap though, especially since they are not exactly unique worldwide in an inability to handle their debts.
I agree with that, but expectations (of lifestyle - things like the NHS taken for granted, benefit streams, state pensions) can cause folks to become particularly disenchanted when they have to miss out and this is at the crux - certainly from where I stand on the MBTTUK section (altruism in my own little way, rather than trying to put the kibosh on the best laid plans of others)

Certainly has me bothered, for MYSELF - the disenchanted folks that is

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Mar 7th 2014 at 1:46 pm. Reason: Certainly has me bothered, for MYSELF. - the disenchanted folks that is
Old Mar 7th 2014, 1:55 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
I agree with that, but expectations (of lifestyle - things like the NHS taken for granted, benefit streams, state pensions) can cause folks to become particularly disenchanted when they have to miss out and this is at the crux - certainly from where I stand on the MBTTUK section (altruism in my own little way, rather than trying to put the kibosh on the best laid plans of others)

Certainly has me bothered, for MYSELF - the disenchanted folks that is
OK, I get you now.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 6:29 pm

Harvester523 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Shard
Here you're assuming you knew what was in the mind of the other jurors. It is very hard to believe that 11/12 convicted on "no proof". The more likely scenario is that the 1/12 didn't understand the proof, although not having been there, I can only speculate.

You're also assuming that if you were tried in Britain that the jury would be as incompetent as you perceive the one you sat on was. This is definitely a faulty assumption.
They more or less admitted it, they were 'professional jurors', i.e. they volunteered - unemployed or retired. They had made up their minds before the case was even heard. Without going into details, it was obvious to me the other person was the guilty party, and distressing as it was a child abuse case. So, the other party got off scot free, and the accused had their child taken away.
I wouldn't trust any jury in Britain, knowing that, there is virtually no vetting process, anyone can do it. I can think of plenty of people who would be incompetent as jurors.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 6:52 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harvester523
They more or less admitted it, they were 'professional jurors', i.e. they volunteered - unemployed or retired. They had made up their minds before the case was even heard. Without going into details, it was obvious to me the other person was the guilty party, and distressing as it was a child abuse case. So, the other party got off scot free, and the accused had their child taken away.
I wouldn't trust any jury in Britain, knowing that, there is virtually no vetting process, anyone can do it. I can think of plenty of people who would be incompetent as jurors.
You can't be a 'professional juror' in the UK. You can't volunteer either.

It's not clear to me what kind of case you are referring to. 'Taking a child away' sounds like a family court case, but these are not tried by a jury. A criminal case has no power to take a child from a parent, although, obviously, a prison sentence will have the same effect.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Moses2013
At the end of the day you might have not been able to afford your property if you were born and grew up in France. Even if the land you bought is cheaper, how many young French people there can afford it and would they get a job that pays the mortgage? People who claim they can afford to retire in France are only lucky that they had a strong pound. Some people don't need loads of Land and even in Germany many are happy with a tiny garden or a balcony. We have a half acre site and I enjoy it, but some of my friends just couldn't be bothered having a huge garden. I'm also sure that some people can't afford a farm in Northern Ireland, but others can. Some actually do enjoy living there and I enjoy living in the Rep of Ireland. I speak the language, have a job here and if I want to go to France I can be there in less than 2 hours. Nobody said Britain is the most wonderful place, but people forget that they can only have what they have because they were born in Britain.
The question wasn't whether people need or want loads of land or not, but whether they can obtain it. Sorry, but your 'born in France' scenario doesn't hold water. One pair of neighbours have unskilled jobs, a new house and several acres of land, another neighbour had a good job, inherited his house and has spent tens of thousands on it. France is not a third world country full of impoverished peasants. Any French youngster with any sense is now in the UK. I haven't retired to France, I still work thanks to the Great British government suddenly pulling the rug out from under us and making me wait another 5 years for my pension - without any warning - so the pound is irrelevant. Where else would you get away with that? You're told all your life that you're going to get a pension, then with no time to make any other arrangements, it's snatched away. How would you feel if a private pension company suddenly said you couldn't have your payout for another five years?
You, like some others, obviously know very little about France, and yet I live here, and I've lived in the UK - that must count for something.
On the contrary, I couldn't have what I wanted because I was born in Britain. I've moved house many times, every time further away from where I was born, because just like today's young, house prices were too high - and I remember 11% mortgages! I've worked all my life, never claimed benefits, but bear in mind that it only needs something like illness or divorce to be thrown into the works, and you're back at the bottom of the heap again.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Editha
You can't be a 'professional juror' in the UK. You can't volunteer either.

It's not clear to me what kind of case you are referring to. 'Taking a child away' sounds like a family court case, but these are not tried by a jury. A criminal case has no power to take a child from a parent, although, obviously, a prison sentence will have the same effect.
Well maybe the system's changed, but the facts are the facts. When I was on a jury, you could volunteer, and it was a child abuse case, i.e. physical harm. Perhaps you're too young to know these things.

Last edited by Harvester523; Mar 7th 2014 at 7:01 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 7:44 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Well maybe the system's changed, but the facts are the facts. When I was on a jury, you could volunteer, and it was a child abuse case, i.e. physical harm. Perhaps you're too young to know these things.
Actually, I'm a retired solicitor who specialized in child abuse cases.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Editha
Actually, I'm a retired solicitor who specialized in child abuse cases.
In that case you should know that it was possible to volunteer.
Old Mar 7th 2014, 7:58 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

In that case you should know that it was possible to volunteer.
No it isn't, wasn't and never has been.

You are clearly confused, but it is difficult to tell how.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.