Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

What makes Britain completely crap?

What makes Britain completely crap?

Old Mar 5th 2014, 2:05 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What makes Britain completely crap?

Originally Posted by Grayling
Try reading back over some old threads.....quite amusing a lot of them.
Maybe I'll try your suggestion
Old Mar 5th 2014, 2:26 am
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute

Judging by the number of people wanting to move there, including a large number of returning expats, Britain can't be all that crap.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 2:32 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beachgal21
Judging by the number of people wanting to move there, including a large number of returning expats, Britain can't be all that crap.
Different places suit different people, and the world would be pretty boring if we all wanted the same things. There were a couple of threads recently that shows the population of the UK is increasing, as those migrating to the UK including returning expats far exceeds those migrating away but I don't recall the exact figures.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 2:36 am
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Different places suit different people, and the world would be pretty boring if we all wanted the same things. There were a couple of threads recently that shows the population of the UK is increasing, as those migrating to the UK including returning expats far exceeds those migrating away but I don't recall the exact figures.
I seem to remember reading somewhere that 60% of Brits that move permanently to other countries, in fact end up returning to the UK to live.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 2:42 am

I seem to remember reading somewhere that 60% of Brits that move permanently to other countries, in fact end up returning to the UK to live.
can't find that - google threw up a telegraph story that mentioned 33% - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/bef...ming-back.html
Old Mar 5th 2014, 2:49 am
BE Enthusiast

can't find that - google threw up a telegraph story that mentioned 33% - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/bef...ming-back.html
It was a while back now, maybe 18 months or more ago
Old Mar 5th 2014, 8:21 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I agree. Bear in mind when I made this thread my tongue was firmly in my cheek as I thought it would bring a few out of the woodwork and it certainly did that. I obviously dont think that Britain is crap at all, it has all the problems every other country has to a lesser or greater extent. I dont blame people for leaving looking for something else and equally I dont blame people returning or indeed immigrating here. It is a wonderful place to live especially if you have the right attitude.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 8:26 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

What are you on about....I owned a property in rural England long before I came to Australia and will own one when I return.

I also know lots of people who own similar properties and they have never been to Australia in their lives.
Dont worry that was the expected dig at me. It's interesting that my journey to being mortgage free started here in the UK, some wise investments enabled us to get a house in Australia before prices went stupid. Also an exchange rate around $2.80 to £1 helped and then the exchange rate of around $1.40 helped when we returned. It was that simple.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 8:29 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Harvester523
Oh please stop spouting such rubbish. I didn't say no one can afford land to keep goats and horses, I said the wealthy can, I couldn't, and other people like me can't. Yes, on the whole, people do have more land in France in rural areas - I better add that or I'll be generalising too much again. To imagine they don't is just that - your imagination. Our neighbours have several hectares each, not an acre, even in the village people have land outside of the village. Rural new builds (the equivalent of an estate) have much, much bigger gardens than equivalent new builds in England. You can get a half acre building plot here for £15,000 or 27 acres of farmland for £22,000. There were no bizarre and inaccurate generalisations. Land is expensive in the UK - even in remote Scotland or NI, there's no getting away from it, and just because you live there and can afford to live there, doesn't make it any different.
You first.

You clearly said it was impossible to own land in the UK, that is clearly wrong and you dont need to be wealthy to do it.

The problem with cheap land in France is you would have to live in France to take advantage of it, no thanks.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 8:35 am
Banned

Ok the cost of houses in Australia....the state of the public health system in Australia and America......crime in any country.....I could come up with lots more...what are you looking for
We have found we certainly get more for our money here house wise, a solid house made to last 100's of years. Ours has already lasted 400 and still going strong. Our house in Brisbane was built down to a price and at 30 years old was looking fit to be replaced if the termites didnt get it first.
I dont find much difference in the health systems, I will say again that I have had 3 operations in Australia and 3 infections and one for none here but that can happen.
Crime, there is certainly way less crime where we are now and that is to be expected as it is apples and oranges really.
There is no less crime overall in Australia or here.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harvester523
Our neighbours have several hectares each, not an acre, even in the village people have land outside of the village. Rural new builds (the equivalent of an estate) have much, much bigger gardens than equivalent new builds in England. You can get a half acre building plot here for £15,000 or 27 acres of farmland for £22,000. There were no bizarre and inaccurate generalisations. Land is expensive in the UK - even in remote Scotland or NI, there's no getting away from it, and just because you live there and can afford to live there, doesn't make it any different.
Very difficult to compare housing and land on a like for like basis. I suppose it all comes down to where you can get the best value for your money, and, of course, whether you want to live there.
I know of two people who have sold up and retired to France. One has downsized, the other is renovating an older property. Both are living comfortably of the proceeds of the sale of their UK property without sacrificing their lifestyle. A lifestyle they could not have afforded in the UK by selling up and remaining in the UK and buying similar properties to the ones they bought in France.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

But it is very true though...and ironic that the posters most active in pointing out the crap in Britain live in countries which are very similar or worse.
See post #203
You must be referring to me in this, as Post 203 was directed at (and quoted) me.

That's quite amusing as I live in a country which is indeed very similar to Britain. Not sure if you've heard of it, but the country I currently live in is called the UK.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Dont worry that was the expected dig at me.
What was the dig at you? The only thing that could possibly be construed as a dig in that post is that your glasses are rose-coloured when it comes to the UK. Someone else after me mentioned blinkers.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

So were you making a point about living in rural Britain or simply stalking Chris?
Bizarre statement as I was responding to a different poster with a very specific factual comment on how Chris was able to afford to live in rural England with no concerns. I made a very light hearted comment about rose-coloured glasses, to which someone else suggested there was a difference between glasses and blinkers.

Not sure what your issue is, but it currently seems that you're doing the stalking here, or at the very least making wild irrelevant comments with absolutely no basis. It's quite a surprise that you haven't hounded the poster who made the comments about blinkers, rather than me who simply made a factual observation.

Look, even someone else recognised that I was making a factual observation about someone's situation, rather than "stalking" or anything to do with your situation:
Because although your comments in that post touched on differing house prices, you were responding to a poster who made a specific observation of another members situation, not yours and not the state of things in general.

Last edited by roaringmouse; Mar 5th 2014 at 2:25 pm.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 7:37 pm

Harvester523 is an unknown quantity at this point

But it is very true though...and ironic that the posters most active in pointing out the crap in Britain live in countries which are very similar or worse.
or better. Perhaps the people who live elsewhere are pointing out the reason why they left, which is relevant. Or is it just a local forum for local people? I have to question Chris's motives for starting this thread, since he obviously refuses to accept anything other than Britain is the most wonderful place in the world before he's even read it, and doesn't even consider the point. He reminds me of the only time I did jury service, everyone decided the accused was guilty even though there was no proof. Trial by jury - another thing that's crap, thank god I'll never be tried by a British court : )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.