Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

What makes Britain completely crap?

What makes Britain completely crap?

Old Mar 4th 2014, 4:15 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What makes Britain completely crap?

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
I agree with you that it's simplistic but if you consider your ability to survive financially today, for the most part it is based upon your cash flow and whether paying a typical mortgage or rent, the cash flow position right now is roughly the same, assuming you haven't bought a high-maintenance heap of a house with never-ending damp and structural issues.
Hmmm, not so sure about the latter.

Except for regional variations, typical rent for a 3-BR house is similar (because rents tend to increase with time).

However, typical mortgage payments for people who bought a 3-BR semi 5, 10 and 15 years ago are pretty different by a multiple of about 3-5 times, I'd guesstimate. As mortgage payments are the biggest single expense for many people, I think that's a big difference.

For me, it's mortgage and pension that make my "income" negligible, because they currently take up about 80% of my salary, but then I'm an exceptional case. If I plug my effective gross income into that tool (after subtracting the amount I am deducting for pension), I'm at about the 15th percentile. My effective net salary is currently less than my monthly mortgage (I'm living off savings). As I say, I'm an unusual case because I am paying so much into pension, but I don't see how anyone at the 15th percentile of household income can afford to live (with help from benefits and credits, I suppose).

I wouldn't say it makes the UK crap (and definitely not "completely" crap) but the whole house boom and bust cycle of the past 20 years has made for some pretty gross wealth inequalities.

Last edited by dunroving; Mar 4th 2014 at 5:15 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 4:41 pm

Harvester523 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Absolutely right. I don't know why Harvester523 thinks it's impossible to keep goats? It's really cheap in Northern Ireland which is also UK. Taxes are also very high in France and not everyone in France has loads of land Harvester523.
High taxes? Maybe for the well off, but certainly not for me. I'm sure it is possible to keep goats in Northern Ireland, but not everyone wants to live there.

Originally Posted by chris955
Yes some bizarre and very inaccurate generalisations. Of course in the towns and cities people dont keep horses and goats generally speaking but I'm sure that is true in France as well. As you say not everyone or even I would imagine a majority of French people have loads of land.
Oh please stop spouting such rubbish. I didn't say no one can afford land to keep goats and horses, I said the wealthy can, I couldn't, and other people like me can't. Yes, on the whole, people do have more land in France in rural areas - I better add that or I'll be generalising too much again. To imagine they don't is just that - your imagination. Our neighbours have several hectares each, not an acre, even in the village people have land outside of the village. Rural new builds (the equivalent of an estate) have much, much bigger gardens than equivalent new builds in England. You can get a half acre building plot here for £15,000 or 27 acres of farmland for £22,000. There were no bizarre and inaccurate generalisations. Land is expensive in the UK - even in remote Scotland or NI, there's no getting away from it, and just because you live there and can afford to live there, doesn't make it any different.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harvester523
just because you live there and can afford to live there, doesn't make it any different.
He can only do that because he won the Australian property lottery, and was able to buy property in rural England without a mortgage. It helps to make those glasses he wears to be rose coloured.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 6:31 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
He can only do that because he won the Australian property lottery, and was able to buy property in rural England without a mortgage. It helps to make those glasses he wears to be rose coloured.
I think there is a big difference between glasses and blinkers
Old Mar 4th 2014, 7:04 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
I think there is a big difference between glasses and blinkers
You can't drink out of blinkers?
Old Mar 4th 2014, 8:20 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

What are you on about....I owned a property in rural England long before I came to Australia and will own one when I return.

I also know lots of people who own similar properties and they have never been to Australia in their lives.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
What are you on about....I owned a property in rural England long before I came to Australia and will own one when I return.

I also know lots of people who own similar properties and they have never been to Australia in their lives.
The post you're referring to has nothing to do with you or your situation, past or present.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 10:23 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

The post you're referring to has nothing to do with you or your situation, past or present.
It has....not everybody who lives in rural areas has " won the Australian property
Lottery" and neither are they all wealthy.....Many work hard to pay their mortgage the same as everyone else.

.....and I have certainly found that property is cheaper in English rural areas than it is in Australian cities.....and that applies to many cities around the world
Old Mar 4th 2014, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

It has....
No, it really hasn't. It was in regards to one person, and one person only.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 11:05 pm
Bitter and twisted

No, it really hasn't. It was in regards to one person, and one person only.
So were you making a point about living in rural Britain or simply stalking Chris?
Old Mar 4th 2014, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I wouldn't say it makes the UK crap (and definitely not "completely" crap) but the whole house boom and bust cycle of the past 20 years has made for some pretty gross wealth inequalities.
Crazy isn't it.

Cultivating a country of debt slaves.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 12:03 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
Crazy isn't it.

Cultivating a country of debt slaves.
Just like many other countries then?
Old Mar 5th 2014, 12:15 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Just like many other countries then?
And could be what other's think is crap about them.

The title isn't 'what makes Britain crapper than other countries' or 'what makes Britain crap that absolutely no other country in the world has', it's just 'what makes Britain completely crap' and the fact that the same problems can be seen in other countries doesn't make an issue irrelevant.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 12:18 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
And could be what other's think is crap about them.

The title isn't 'what makes Britain crapper than other countries' or 'what makes Britain crap that absolutely no other country in the world has', it's just 'what makes Britain completely crap' and the fact that the same problems can be seen in other countries doesn't make an issue irrelevant.
So do you not want any debate at all?......the forum would be very quiet.

.....and on an expat forum it is not unexpected that posters will compare countries is it?
Old Mar 5th 2014, 12:28 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

So do you not want any debate at all?......the forum would be very quiet.

.....and on an expat forum it is not unexpected that posters will compare countries is it?
No I get that some comparison will take place - as you say it's only natural for an expat site. But to just say 'just like many other countries' isn't really debating - sounds more like a fob off.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.