Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

What makes Britain completely crap?

What makes Britain completely crap?

Old Mar 2nd 2014, 5:33 pm

Harvester523 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What makes Britain completely crap?

Originally Posted by Pistolpete2
It all depends what your personal wants and needs AND FINANCES are which could be entirely different from somebody else's and tax can be an issue in France too. English language, schools, isolation, pubs, shops, bureaucracy allergy, family..............

For instance, you mentioned that you have a significant holding of land. Funnily enough when I was in France a couple of years back I spoke to a retired Brit who lives in Morbihan in Brittany who said that in retrospect the biggest regret he had was that he had TOO MUCH LAND to the point where he is a slave to it. I agreed with him wholeheartedly and would run a mile now to have less land than the acre-plus I have to maintain, let alone the property/house itself if only because unlike many others, I am not green-fingered or handy, though am a reluctant bride to it all these days out of necessity.
That's exactly it. We have horses and goats. In the UK it would be impossible to own enough land. Too many people come here and think ooo, land! and not the amount of work that goes in to it. The UK doesn't allow people who'd like land to have it, unless they're very wealthy. Even in remote Wales, this sort of holding would be 3k£!
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harvester523
That's exactly it. We have horses and goats. In the UK it would be impossible to own enough land. Too many people come here and think ooo, land! and not the amount of work that goes in to it. The UK doesn't allow people who'd like land to have it, unless they're very wealthy. Even in remote Wales, this sort of holding would be 3k£!
Oui Oui and Oui!

I'll be tempted by a UK leasehold, share of freehold -type place where the management takes care of the exterior in the service charge. The St Lucia place will be the land if we should ever return to occupy it.
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 6:42 pm

It all depends what your personal wants and needs AND FINANCES are which could be entirely different from somebody else's and tax can be an issue in France too. English language, schools, isolation, pubs, shops, bureaucracy allergy, family..............

For instance, you mentioned that you have a significant holding of land. Funnily enough when I was in France a couple of years back I spoke to a retired Brit who lives in Morbihan in Brittany who said that in retrospect the biggest regret he had was that he had TOO MUCH LAND to the point where he is a slave to it. I agreed with him wholeheartedly and would run a mile now to have less land than the acre-plus I have to maintain, let alone the property/house itself if only because unlike many others, I am not green-fingered or handy, though am a reluctant bride to it all these days out of necessity.
For the same money (as this place), you can get a brand new on the block bungalow with half an acre. I'm sure not everyone in the UK wants half an acre, but for those that do, it's impossible. New builds invariably come with around 40 sq ft if you're lucky. Too many people, too little land. If you're a keen gardener (as I am), you either have to have loadsamoney, or move abroad.
Finances play the same roles in Chris's arguments. If you don't need to live somewhere to earn a living, have a good pension (thanks GB I don't), and can afford to buy somewhere outright, UK may be the place to be.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 11:30 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

The reason your arguments cant be taken seriously is you generalise and falsely generalise. It's absolutely ridiculous to say it is impossible to own enough land in the UK to keep horses and goats, what about all the people that do just that ? You most certainly do not need to be very wealthy to do it. Our friends in Wales have a lovely big property, they have sheep, horses, pigs etc and most certainly are not wealthy. We could easily keep goats on our property and we are not wealthy.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 11:31 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Why not?
Because we have absolutely zero interest in living in France or indeed most other countries of the world.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by chris955
The reason your arguments cant be taken seriously is you generalise and falsely generalise. It's absolutely ridiculous to say it is impossible to own enough land in the UK to keep horses and goats, what about all the people that do just that ? You most certainly do not need to be very wealthy to do it. Our friends in Wales have a lovely big property, they have sheep, horses, pigs etc and most certainly are not wealthy. We could easily keep goats on our property and we are not wealthy.
Obviously wealthy means different levels to different people. I would suggest you are comparitively wealthy.
It's impossible for me to own land in the UK.
One can't generalise more than you do Chris.

Last edited by Harvester523; Mar 4th 2014 at 11:43 am.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 11:47 am
Banned

Obviously wealthy means different levels to different people. I would suggest you are comparitively wealthy.
It's impossible for me to own land in the UK.
One can't generalise more than you do Chris.
I'm not comparatively wealthy at all. It clearly isnt impossible for people to own land in the UK otherwise nobody would own land in the UK. Many of the houses in our village have at least an acre of land and I doubt many here would consider themselves wealthy.
I understand you love France and good for you and you clearly had a hard life here but your experiences dont automatically become those of everyone.
Sorry but you have certainly beaten me
Old Mar 4th 2014, 2:19 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Terms like wealth (and poverty, to an extent) are so subjective and have so many definitions that I think it's difficult for many people to say they are definitely one or the other, or definitely not one or the other.

On various measures of "wealth", I'd guess I am anywhere between about the 25th percentile and the 95th percentile, compared to the rest of the population.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Terms like wealth (and poverty, to an extent) are so subjective and have so many definitions that I think it's difficult for many people to say they are definitely one or the other, or definitely not one or the other.

On various measures of "wealth", I'd guess I am anywhere between about the 25th percentile and the 95th percentile, compared to the rest of the population.
Having a house which is paid for doesn't count for much if you are asset rich and cash poor.

Try this survey for a measurement of affluence in terms of income:

http://www.ifs.org.uk/wheredoyoufitin/

Most Brits clearly don't have a pot to p _ _ s in.

While I'm still busy pushing funds into my UK State Pension, I take pleasure in knowing I'm increasing my wealth there, to the level of the present value of future pension rights. As nun mentioned somewhere, annuities pay precious little these days, making a UK State Pension one of the most valuable assets one could have, along with other indexed government pension streams. If you croak you do of course get nothing, unless it is guaranteed or survivor.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Mar 4th 2014 at 2:42 pm. Reason: While I'm still busy pushing funds into my UK State Pension
Old Mar 4th 2014, 2:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I'm not comparatively wealthy at all. It clearly isnt impossible for people to own land in the UK otherwise nobody would own land in the UK. Many of the houses in our village have at least an acre of land and I doubt many here would consider themselves wealthy.
I understand you love France and good for you and you clearly had a hard life here but your experiences dont automatically become those of everyone.
Sorry but you have certainly beaten me
Absolutely right. I don't know why Harvester523 thinks it's impossible to keep goats? It's really cheap in Northern Ireland which is also UK. Taxes are also very high in France and not everyone in France has loads of land Harvester523.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 2:44 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Having a house which is paid for doesn't count for much if you are asset rich and cash poor.

Even considering that it is primarily an income-based tool, it is rather simplistic.

It seems rather strange that it asks you how much your council tax is, but not what your mortgage or rental payments are - that is a major cash outlay for some, and zero for others.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 2:49 pm
Ping-ponger

While I'm still busy pushing funds into my UK State Pension, I take pleasure in knowing I'm increasing my wealth there, to the level of the present value of future pension rights. As nun mentioned somewhere, annuities pay precious little these days, making a UK State Pension one of the most valuable assets one could have, along with other indexed government pension streams. If you croak you do of course get nothing, unless it is guaranteed or survivor.
Current best buy annuities are about £6,000 p.a. for a £100k pot (single life annuity, fixed income), or about £3,500 p.a. (inflation-linked annual rises). The latter is the closest analogy to UK pension (which also has annual inflation-linked increases) - so, 3.5% yield, pretty pathetic.

However, I sense there is change in the air - lots of rumblings about insurance companies being held accountable for the crap annuity rates - hopefully the options will be batter in 5 or 10 years.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Even considering that it is primarily an income-based tool, it is rather simplistic.

It seems rather strange that it asks you how much your council tax is, but not what your mortgage or rental payments are - that is a major cash outlay for some, and zero for others.
I agree with you that it's simplistic but if you consider your ability to survive financially today, for the most part it is based upon your cash flow and whether paying a typical mortgage or rent, the cash flow position right now is roughly the same, assuming you haven't bought a high-maintenance heap of a house with never-ending damp and structural issues.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Current best buy annuities are about £6,000 p.a. for a £100k pot (single life annuity, fixed income), or about £3,500 p.a. (inflation-linked annual rises). The latter is the closest analogy to UK pension (which also has annual inflation-linked increases) - so, 3.5% yield, pretty pathetic.

However, I sense there is change in the air - lots of rumblings about insurance companies being held accountable for the crap annuity rates - hopefully the options will be batter in 5 or 10 years.
Yep, saw that and was encouraged.

When private pension issues actually come up for us down the road, we are hoping to be able to get the option where you leave the funds with the administrator/manager along with agreed investment parameters and just get the income stream and gains.

The indications ref future pensions at retirement date that they supplied based upon annuities are a real joke.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 3:27 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Absolutely right. I don't know why Harvester523 thinks it's impossible to keep goats? It's really cheap in Northern Ireland which is also UK. Taxes are also very high in France and not everyone in France has loads of land Harvester523.
Yes some bizarre and very inaccurate generalisations. Of course in the towns and cities people dont keep horses and goats generally speaking but I'm sure that is true in France as well. As you say not everyone or even I would imagine a majority of French people have loads of land.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.