Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

What makes Britain completely crap?

What makes Britain completely crap?

Old Oct 22nd 2013, 6:32 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What makes Britain completely crap?

Originally Posted by dunroving
Yes, I find the opposite to be true in urban/suburban areas - in the US, towns seem to be almost immaculately manicured whereas here, there is more litter on the streets and general upkeep seems to be limited. In the US, rural areas seemed to be more run-down, especially in terms of litter. As you say, there is the Adopt a Highway scheme in the US which helps. We (bike club) used to keep a 2-mile stretch free of litter, that was part of our Tuesday night ride route.
Of course, that's not to say that there isn't a lot of stuff for the clean-up crews to pick up. Just that they do seem to be rather efficient when they do it.
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 8:10 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

I used to see a lot of litter in rural TN and NC as I rode my bike around the countryside - although I didn't see much fly-tipping, like I see here (fridges and bags of rubbish). I think overall it was much worse than the rural litter I see here in the UK. In the US, it seemed almost like most people would wind down the window and throw their litter out of the car window,, rather than take it home and put it in the bin.
We were in NC last week and saw at least three sets of signs "inmates picking up litter." My hubby pointed out to me the guard at the front of the line, and the guard at the back of the line had shotguns. It was just like the movies!
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 8:14 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mallory
We were in NC last week and saw at least three sets of signs "inmates picking up litter." My hubby pointed out to me the guard at the front of the line, and the guard at the back of the line had shotguns. It was just like the movies!
Shakin' it off here, boss ...
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 8:45 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

They don't tie them, they just throw them up - they are usually way up in the tops of the trees.
Gosh, that reminds me of the days when I was a little sh1t at school. You know when you wet tissue under the tap and chuck it as hard as you can at the ceiling or walls so it sticks. Or was that just me?
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
Gosh, that reminds me of the days when I was a little sh1t at school. You know when you wet tissue under the tap and chuck it as hard as you can at the ceiling or walls so it sticks. Or was that just me?
Oh, God yes (I didn't personally do it but the ceilings in the toilet were covered with them). For some reason, they were called 'Ernies'
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 8:52 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Oh, God yes (I didn't personally do it but the ceilings in the toilet were covered with them). For some reason, they were called 'Ernies'
Same at our school. I didn't do it either though, I was too busy smoking in our bogs.
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 9:29 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Ernie! I have never heard that before, but for some reason it seems to suit. I hope I don't meet anyone called Ernie in the near future. May result in uncomfortable laughing on my part.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 12:44 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Obviously - chavs, pikeys and white dog turds.

Less flippantly... litter was always actually quite bad, I remember that before I left because I'd walk around a lot. Not that there isn't any litter in the US, but the whole 'adopt a highway' scheme at least means there are people out with their orange bags, picking it up.

But I remember even just walking around town there was a lot of litter by the side of the road, or on the beach. Old manky beer cans, crisp bags, car parts, nappies, the ubiquitous shopping trolley. I even saw a rubber johnny or two

So, litter made my corner of the UK crap. Well, that and the rise of Irish republicanism of course.
I've found all of those things on the beach where I live and it's the other side of the world. Every place in the world has crap things about it. I think the welfare system in Britain is crap. It doesn't help those families who work hard but earn low wages.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Give me the dog poo any day over vile drunk humans acting like savages in the streets - throwing up/puking as someone said earlier - and urinating. Totally disgusting!!!
Just watched a programme called, "Bouncers". Plenty of puking/peeing/fighting and vile drunks. Usual excuse, "There's nothing else to do around here."

What amazed me most though was the 'tanking up' at home before they went out for the night. Most were pi$$ed before they walked out the front door.

Funny quote from a bouncer though, when a drunken half dressed woman tried to get in the club........

"Even the tide wouldn't take her out."
Old Oct 24th 2013, 12:28 am
Account Closed

treasuredr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
Just watched a programme called, "Bouncers". Plenty of puking/peeing/fighting and vile drunks. Usual excuse, "There's nothing else to do around here."

What amazed me most though was the 'tanking up' at home before they went out for the night. Most were pi$$ed before they walked out the front door.

Funny quote from a bouncer though, when a drunken half dressed woman tried to get in the club........

"Even the tide wouldn't take her out."
Old Oct 24th 2013, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Poo trees
Litter piled high in the streets
Miserable people

Add to the list
I didn't think it was as bad as that, until I did some research.
Attached Thumbnails What makes Britain completely crap?-fun01.jpg   What makes Britain completely crap?-funo2.jpg   What makes Britain completely crap?-fun03.jpg  
Old Oct 24th 2013, 3:25 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
I didn't think it was as bad as that, until I did some research.

(I'm shocked by colours worn by woman second from right.)

And please make it all stop.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 4:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Celticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond reputeCelticspirit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee

(I'm shocked by colours worn by woman second from right.)

And please make it all stop.
Would you please explain about the colours? I don't understand.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

campervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond reputecampervanfan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
I've found all of those things on the beach where I live and it's the other side of the world. Every place in the world has crap things about it. I think the welfare system in Britain is crap. It doesn't help those families who work hard but earn low wages.
just on that last point- I think the system's pretty generous in terms of Tax Credits for instance, especially if raising children...are you aware of them? or are other countries even more generous?
Old Oct 24th 2013, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by campervanfan
just on that last point- I think the system's pretty generous in terms of Tax Credits for instance, especially if raising children...are you aware of them? or are other countries even more generous?
Pop downstairs and take a look in TIO. Sue has put up a topic/link showing the benefits paid in several countries.

It is a delightful benefits buffet! We are all browsing for selection of our new destination.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.