What was the final straw for you?

Old Nov 6th 2006, 1:51 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What was the final straw for you?

Originally Posted by Beryl the Peril
I have to agree. I have never been so bored in my entire life than I am 'existing' in Perth. If, when I finally get to leave, anyone asks what I remember most about my time in Perth, BOREDOM will definitely be the answer. It is cripplingly boring, predictable, and utterly stagnant. Life is too easy, too manicured, too lacking in any atmosphere and too boring for words. Give me some 'grit' - even some gossip would do!! And hey, what's this 'Neighbours' image of Oz. Do me a favour! I haven't seen mine for literally 8 months. I'm beginning to wonder if they're dead!
Beryl you took the words right out of my mouth..but for some people they won't allow you to speak the truth.
But i refuse to lie..it was my b'day y'day and had a great boring time here in Perth..all my friends and rellies in UK ringing me up and wishing me well..i couldn't face the truth for the first time since i have been here. Shame on me!!
I'm also beginning to wonder where my neighbours are??? so many houses...no souls
Old Nov 6th 2006, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

Beryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond reputeBeryl the Peril has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulrachel
Beryl you took the words right out of my mouth..but for some people they won't allow you to speak the truth.
But i refuse to lie..it was my b'day y'day and had a great boring time here in Perth..all my friends and rellies in UK ringing me up and wishing me well..i couldn't face the truth for the first time since i have been here. Shame on me!!
I'm also beginning to wonder where my neighbours are??? so many houses...no souls
Dear Confused,

Agreed - souless! No atmosphere, and where they get this "Perth is so friendly" from, I fail to see! And 'classless' society? - I think not!! I run my own business in Cottesloe, and the arrogance and snobbery is rife down there! How long have you been here, and are you planning to stay?!
Old Nov 6th 2006, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

I think those who are used to the bustle of Manchester and London probably will find it boring. I liked it for a few months, but I would have got bored of it, and it's too far from anywhere if you want to explore another City. For those going there I would probably rethink and look at Sydney or Melbourne, they may suit you better. Long way and an expensive trial and error if it doesn't suit. I think people have to look at their lives in Uk and look what they really do like and don't and make sure it ticks all the right boxes for you when you move. Family and friends are a serious consideration, how much are they in your lives and can you really go not seeing them apart from short periods every couple of years or so?

Last edited by Mercedes; Nov 6th 2006 at 1:42 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2006, 1:16 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mercedes
I think those who are used to the bustle of Manchester and London probably will find it boring. I liked it for a few months, but I would have got bored of it, and it's too far from anywhere if you want to explore another City. For those going there I would probably rethink and look at Sydney or Melbourne, they may suit you better. Long way and an expensive trial and error if it doesn't suit. I think people have to look at their lives in Uk and look what they really do like and don't and make sure it ticks all the right boxes for you when you move. Family and friends are a serious consideration, how much are they in your lives and can you really go not seeing them for short periods every couple of years or so?
I totally agree with this. Excellent post Mercedes. As I have said before Perth is definately a love it or hate it kind of place.
Old Nov 7th 2006, 10:12 pm
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mazi
Who had a nice house in Neighbours?
true, but compared the rest of aust the're pretty good
Old Nov 8th 2006, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
There was no single point, just a creeping, engulfing sense of boredom with Australia, and some disillusionment after 16 years of dreaming about Aus rather than experiencing the best of the UK. To me the benefits of Australia were nowhere near enough to justify a permenant separation from the UK... The decision was still immense though, and we changed our mind about one hundred million times. It was so much harder than the decision to go in the first place because of fear. We wondered what we might be losing. In the end, we lost nothing, and gained everything. When people ask me know what I miss most, "flat white" honestly comes to mind first, then a few other things, like the Spring and Autumn weather, the bluer skies. But apart from a small number of friends, we left nothing that really meant anything. For everything that we left and liked, and can list three other things that we gained and love on return. For everything that I dislike about the UK, and can list something I disliked about Australia. Now we are back, though in a different part of the UK, we feel alive again. It is amazing to feel at home again, and to know where home is. Home is really a state of mind, but it is one that I have wherever I am in the UK, and can feel even in Europe, and one that I never had in Australia. A symptom of that is that I rarely think about Australia much now, but when I was there I thought about the UK every day.
Just love this post.
Excellent, excellent, excellent.

Thank you so much for writing this.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 12:54 pm
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rosie Cheeks
Just love this post.
Excellent, excellent, excellent.

Thank you so much for writing this.
i agree..it made me smile for once
Old Nov 8th 2006, 1:44 pm

RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ShozInOz
There was no single point, just a creeping, engulfing sense of boredom with Australia, and some disillusionment after 16 years of dreaming about Aus rather than experiencing the best of the UK. To me the benefits of Australia were nowhere near enough to justify a permenant separation from the UK... The decision was still immense though, and we changed our mind about one hundred million times. It was so much harder than the decision to go in the first place because of fear. We wondered what we might be losing. In the end, we lost nothing, and gained everything. When people ask me know what I miss most, "flat white" honestly comes to mind first, then a few other things, like the Spring and Autumn weather, the bluer skies. But apart from a small number of friends, we left nothing that really meant anything. For everything that we left and liked, and can list three other things that we gained and love on return. For everything that I dislike about the UK, and can list something I disliked about Australia. Now we are back, though in a different part of the UK, we feel alive again. It is amazing to feel at home again, and to know where home is. Home is really a state of mind, but it is one that I have wherever I am in the UK, and can feel even in Europe, and one that I never had in Australia. A symptom of that is that I rarely think about Australia much now, but when I was there I thought about the UK every day.

there you go, you have put my thoughts into words EXACTLY
Old Nov 8th 2006, 2:44 pm
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RooksieJ
there you go, you have put my thoughts into words EXACTLY
It is really spot on to how I feel even though I replace oz references for the US, it's always lovely when people who have returned post on here to say how they love it- unfortunately lots just drop off- but I can't blame them -they just don't need the support network that this site offers when they are back in england.

(I'm wondering when I return how much I'll want to post- but I like to think I'll try and keep an eye out for people who are in similar dilemmas as myself now and post every now and again. )

The point is that we get a very bleak overall picture of the uk which fuels our fears about losing material things and returning to a chavvy Britain- but I really don't think that's how the majority of people feel when they return.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 3:10 pm

RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hayley
It is really spot on to how I feel even though I replace oz references for the US, it's always lovely when people who have returned post on here to say how they love it- unfortunately lots just drop off- but I can't blame them -they just don't need the support network that this site offers when they are back in england.

(I'm wondering when I return how much I'll want to post- but I like to think I'll try and keep an eye out for people who are in similar dilemmas as myself now and post every now and again. )

The point is that we get a very bleak overall picture of the uk which fuels our fears about losing material things and returning to a chavvy Britain- but I really don't think that's how the majority of people feel when they return.

i will never forget the feeling i had when we were driving back to torquay from the airport. nothing but nothing could wipe the smile off my face. i wanted to kiss all the cows in the fields. i remember looking behind me at our eldest daughter in the back seat and just sharing a knowing smile - bliss
Old Nov 8th 2006, 5:47 pm
long live thefinest range

Location: Higham Ferrers, Northants to Spokane Washington and back again!!
Hayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond reputeHayley has a reputation beyond repute

i will never forget the feeling i had when we were driving back to torquay from the airport. nothing but nothing could wipe the smile off my face. i wanted to kiss all the cows in the fields. i remember looking behind me at our eldest daughter in the back seat and just sharing a knowing smile - bliss
Thanks! I'm going for it even with the risks- lifes too short to spend it in this departure lounge
Old Nov 8th 2006, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

milligano is a jewel in the roughmilligano is a jewel in the roughmilligano is a jewel in the roughmilligano is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Budowsky
At what point did you walk into the travel agent and book your ticket? Was it a well thought out plan, or a spur of the moment decision. Have you regretted it?

I have really come to a cross-roads now, where I am seriously thinking about doing it. For me, the main one is jobs, culture and family.

Im in NZ at the moment and wondering whether to go to OZ, the UK or remain in NZ.
Final straw? Reading this website! I can't believe how many of us are unhappy about where we live. Life is too short. Certainly helped us make up our minds. We're looking to book any day to be back by the end of January latest.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 10:17 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

LOL - Brilliant!

Am soooo jealous - can't wait until it's my turn. Wish I was going to Torquay though - beautiful.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 10:28 pm
FPM
Banned

Location: knuckle dragging, cultureless, boring, dingo oblivion
FPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by milligano
Final straw? Reading this website! I can't believe how many of us are unhappy about where we live. Life is too short. Certainly helped us make up our minds. We're looking to book any day to be back by the end of January latest.
Yeah this site sure is a double edged sword. On the one hand it's not so great to know so many people are unhappy. On the other hand it's great to know so many people feel exactly the way I do, and I'm not the only one out there carrying this feeling around.
Old Nov 8th 2006, 10:31 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Beryl the Peril
I have to agree. I have never been so bored in my entire life than I am 'existing' in Perth. If, when I finally get to leave, anyone asks what I remember most about my time in Perth, BOREDOM will definitely be the answer. It is cripplingly boring, predictable, and utterly stagnant. Life is too easy, too manicured, too lacking in any atmosphere and too boring for words. Give me some 'grit' - even some gossip would do!! And hey, what's this 'Neighbours' image of Oz. Do me a favour! I haven't seen mine for literally 8 months. I'm beginning to wonder if they're dead!

LOL!! Totally agree. There is no soul. No heart to this place. We are going over East as soon as I've finished uni. I will go completely ga-ga if I stay here for ever. After all, there's only so much 'laid back' I can do!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.