Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

what benefits can i claim upon arrival?

what benefits can i claim upon arrival?

Old Oct 22nd 2007, 7:16 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what benefits can i claim upon arrival?

Originally Posted by Hong Konger
I agree, so unnecessary.

My situation means I could be raising a son all alone in UK with no support watsoever financially....The flat is ours in HK, hubby and mine and NO he gets to live in it still while we have to rent in UK....don't bother posting if u aint got nice all to say, Walter. U dont know all the facts, tut.
I am posting an opinion. Presume you only want agreeable opinions then.

My point is that the benefit system is for genuinly destitue people, not someone who has the potential to be cash rich.

You are not destitute. You've never paid UK Tax. You own your own house out right in HK. Your husband will not pay for your son whilst you sponge off the UK state benefit system and you don't even batter an eyelid at this. You want the UK to support you and you are angry if anyone has the audacity to question your morals...

We all make choices in life and sometimes these result in spending our hard earned cash to support ourselves in a new country without thinking someone, somewhere owes us a living. I don't care if you get handouts whilst stashing your money in HK....if the UK is stupid enough to give it to you, then good on you for taking advantage. I don't blame you for being greedy, I blame the UK benefits system for not helping out the genuine needy - rather than the greedy:curse:

If the above assumptions are wrong, I apologise. If they are right, I make no apologies for it is you who have no scruples
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

Hong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really nice

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
I am posting an opinion. Presume you only want agreeable opinions then.

My point is that the benefit system is for genuinly destitue people, not someone who has the potential to be cash rich.

You are not destitute. You've never paid UK Tax. You own your own house out right in HK. Your husband will not pay for your son whilst you sponge off the UK state benefit system and you don't even batter an eyelid at this. You want the UK to support you and you are angry if anyone has the audacity to question your morals...

We all make choices in life and sometimes these result in spending our hard earned cash to support ourselves in a new country without thinking someone, somewhere owes us a living. I don't care if you get handouts whilst stashing your money in HK....if the UK is stupid enough to give it to you, then good on you for taking advantage. I don't blame you for being greedy, I blame the UK benefits system for not helping out the genuine needy - rather than the greedy:curse:

If the above assumptions are wrong, I apologise. If they are right, I make no apologies for it is you who have no scruples
im NOT sponging, just trying to see what my options are, i have to work and somehow look after a 6 yr old all on my own. we r not here to argue but to try and help one another. plus i am anything but cash rich :curse:
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 7:48 am

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

im NOT sponging, just trying to see what my options are, i have to work and somehow look after a 6 yr old all on my own. we r not here to argue but to try and help one another. plus i am anything but cash rich :curse:
I am not arguing. I am putting forward a reasoned debate. I actually beleive the UK is great at making sure those who are destitute are looked after. It is this social responsibility that should be held up as an example on the world human rights stage. However it is the abuse of this that irks

An example of this: Owning your flat out right in HK is not deemed cash rich!....OK...you have to sell it first - but you have no intention of doing this have you

You have stated your husband will live in your jointly owned flat and you will turn up in the UK and plead poverty, whilst your husband doesn't even support his own kid. And all the time you condone this

I think you are conveniently deluded. You also have a social and moral responsibility to society. No one expects you or anyone else for that matter, to suffer unnecessay hardship. The hardship should be genuine though. Life is not just about take, take, take:curse:

Anyway, I've laboured my point enough. You don't seem to care or even understand the moral of the story. Another "feel sorry for me" sponger.

You either *get it* or you don't.

Conveniently
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

Hong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really nice

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
I am not arguing. I am putting forward a reasoned debate. I actually beleive the UK is great at making sure those who are destitute are looked after. It is this social responsibility that should be held up as an example on the world human rights stage. However it is the abuse of this that irks

An example of this: Owning your flat out right in HK is not deemed cash rich!....OK...you have to sell it first - but you have no intention of doing this have you

You have stated your husband will live in your jointly owned flat and you will turn up in the UK and plead poverty, whilst your husband doesn't even support his own kid. And all the time you condone this

I think you are conveniently deluded. You also have a social and moral responsibility to society. No one expects you or anyone else for that matter, to suffer unnecessay hardship. The hardship should be genuine though. Life is not just about take, take, take:curse:

Anyway, I've laboured my point enough. You don't seem to care or even understand the moral of the story. Another "feel sorry for me" sponger.

You either *get it* or you don't.

Conveniently
Watever.....
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 8:25 am

Watever.....
Oii...is vat yu Vickeee
Attached Thumbnails what benefits can i claim upon arrival?-vicki203.jpg  
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Twigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud ofTwigstar has much to be proud of

I read this thread yesterday and was unable to reply at the time. I for one am appalled at the notion and the darn cheek of it all.
You have not lived in the UK for 17 years but as a 'birthright' you expect immediate handouts?? Surely you can see this is a very shallow request. You say you have family in the UK well let them support you. Your husband cannot afford to pay child support??? Then think twice before having children. You are an adult not a 16yr old single mum at school. Think of the culture shock to your son and how is he going to adapt to a new environment without his Dad? I am so outraged at the title of the thread I cannot go on........
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 3:37 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twigstar
I am so outraged at the title of the thread I cannot go on........
Thank gawd for small mercies, eh?
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 4:32 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, so unnecessary.

My situation means I could be raising a son all alone in UK with no support watsoever financially....
You've lost me.
Do you think its fair for people in the UK to work so that you can bring up your son ??
Either pursue the father for maintenance or stay in HK and work and save until you can AFFORD to move to the UK and support yourself.
What do you think gives you the moral right to move back and begin claiming right away ??
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 4:44 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

The way I read this:

- the father is refusing to pay maintenance

- he is refusing to sell the flat (and even if he were to agree, it would probably take a while to sell and get the $$$ in the bank...)

- she (for her own sanity and her son's long-term wellbeing) wants to return to the UK

- she needs a little help while she gets herself established (i.e. finds a job and childcare, plus somewhere to live) once she gets to the UK

What exactly is the problem?

NB: I would ask at the Motley Fool and/or contact the CAB, Shelter, Housing Associations etc for advice.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 6:08 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira

- she (for her own sanity and her son's long-term wellbeing) wants to return to the UK
Where did she mention that he son's well being was in jeopardy (long or short term) ??
Also she has been away from the UK for more than half her life. If she has waited this long she can wait a bit longer to save up the cash.

There are a lot of people who'd like to move to the UK, or even from it. Most wait until they can afford to make the move themselves.
Also if the father won't pay maintenance or sell the flat when she is in HK what is the chance of getting him to pay up when she moves ??

Taking the michael big time.

Last edited by BigDavyG; Oct 22nd 2007 at 7:52 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 6:45 pm

Do a search on all previous posts from Hong Konger. It reads like this:

1. Hong Konger wants to move to UK but Chinese husband doesn't want to due to language / skills barrier and concern about finding work in UK [fair play]

2. Hong Konger wants to move to UK with son despite the above and recognises husband will want to stay in HK

3. Hong Konger & husband have no intention of divorcing so husband will stay in HK in their jointly owned flat whilst Hong Konger will arrive in UK with son and claim poverty and all benefits entitlement under the guise of being poor / destitute.

4. Husband will stay in HK whilst their propery increases in value each year

5. Hong Konger will sponge of the UK state where neither she nor her husband have ever paid an ounce in UK Tax's - whilst all the time they have the potential to be cash rich through the sale of their property in HK.

Incidentally, a previous post by Hoing Konger also questions if she will need to pay Tax on any money she brings into UK upon arrival...and the response is one of glee when informed not. Another example of someone willing to sponge the UK dry whilst happily sitting back and paying nothing:curse:

I don't give a damn if this unsavoury person gets a cent from UK benefits system. Like I said before, if the UK benefit system is stupid enough to pay sponging, unscrupelous people then the UK deserves to be poor. One thing I do know - I came to a new country and spent thousands of our hard earned cash to do so. It never occured to us to move if we couldn't support ourselves. We made some harsh choices and paid the price. No one ever said emigrating would be free...

This lady is not under any threat, indeed she intends to remain married. This is an economic move - a typical example of the kind of migrant who will take out of the UK benefits system and expects to put nothing back in in return. It's cases like this that cost the UK dearly in terms of not spending Tax's on internal infrastructure for those who have paid taxes all their lives. Hospitals are crying out for drastic improvement, whilst good money is being wasted on people who have money elsewhere and come to sponge from UK with absolutly no care in the world as to how they can afford it. It's even more galling given this lady actually does have money, albeit tied up in property. That's not poor, that's greedy.

I find it hard to beleive anyone who needs genuine help would be begrudged this from the UK general public. There are some war torn countries where people arrive in a state of shock, pennyless and genuinly destitute. These people deserve our help, our sympathy, our support.

But not spongers. They deserve no support and should be shamed. To do otherwise makes you condone this behaviour - and that is behaviour worse than theirs. It's not sympathy, it's empathy. And it's immoral
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 7:29 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: what benefits can i claim upon arrival?

thanks again....i would truthfully love to only work a few hours a day for a change
You could be a lollipop woman, for a few hours a day.
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 5:44 am
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Where did she mention that he son's well being was in jeopardy (long or short term) ??
Also she has been away from the UK for more than half her life. If she has waited this long she can wait a bit longer to save up the cash.

There are a lot of people who'd like to move to the UK, or even from it. Most wait until they can afford to make the move themselves.
Also if the father won't pay maintenance or sell the flat when she is in HK what is the chance of getting him to pay up when she moves ??

Taking the michael big time.

what like the other 6 million, dont blame her, there is no pride in this country I have so tried to keep the standard going, all in vein, I give up with the genral lack of respect here, few months ago.

this is due to my dealings with the local authorities and general public,

my only advice to HK, is to re-consider coming back..

HK- do the ol diability benefit thing, you get a car and a free parking pass too.. thats a good chesnut for parking in city centres and stuff
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by on a mission
what like the other 6 million, dont blame her, there is no pride in this country I have so tried to keep the standard going, all in vein, I give up with the genral lack of respect here, few months ago.

HK- do the ol diability benefit thing, you get a car and a free parking pass too.. thats a good chesnut for parking in city centres and stuff
PMSL....you're like termites all coming out of the woodwork
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 1:54 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by on a mission

Ok - so "everyone is at it" and that's why you want to leave - I can kind of understand that I suppose.
But then advising someone else to do it too - wow, you must have a lot of pride in your country too.
Best that you do leave I reckon.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.