Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

what benefits can i claim upon arrival?

what benefits can i claim upon arrival?

Old Oct 18th 2007, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

Hong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really nice
Default Re: what benefits can i claim upon arrival?

Originally Posted by on a mission
The way the gov is set up, truthfully suits your situation, and in some respect quite rightly so too.

Your savings are your savings, dont declare them...dont see why you should.

The FT, WT and CB, look at that the thresholds, for your hours, as it makes sense sometimes not too work too many hours as I found out, as you end up worse off.

Sure you will work it out anyhow....

take it easy
thanks again....i would truthfully love to only work a few hours a day for a change
Old Oct 20th 2007, 9:20 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Hong Konger
long story short: left uk at 16, been abroad all these years, moving back to uk next year...17 years later... as a single mum to one boy.

i have never paid taxes in uk because i have never worked. Am i able to apply for any benefits upon my return? what would those be?

And from a point of view of working with a 7 year old child to care for, would it be better to work p/t than f/t? in terms of benefits received.

thanks in advance for your help.

sharon
On entering the UK destroy all your papers i.e. passport and then claim asylum. You will then get every benefit going plus a nice house :curse:. If you tell them you were born in England and are English then you'll get nothing
Old Oct 20th 2007, 11:24 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY
On entering the UK destroy all your papers i.e. passport and then claim asylum. You will then get every benefit going plus a nice house :curse:. If you tell them you were born in England and are English then you'll get nothing
Get a life!
Old Oct 20th 2007, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

just got my tax credits statement,

I owe £5k, good ol labour government and Mr Blair and Brown, two total cock heads who have no clue....

be careful on that little chesnut, unless your a total liar this gov gives you nowt, if you declare everything you get ait all taken away.

Be careful on your return my friend... the real thieves in this country arent loitering in Prisons, they hold parliament

oh any before the MTTBUK brigade start, I know exactly what your gonna spout.
Old Oct 20th 2007, 2:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

TaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond reputeTaraC has a reputation beyond repute

ohh i dunno, could be long gone....
I thought the same thing but wrote to the NI dept just in case. Sure enough, I had a number even though i left when I was 17. You may want to check with them (I can't remember who I wrote to now).
Old Oct 21st 2007, 3:05 am
Just Joined

Cjvolitan is an unknown quantity at this point

Why do some people waste time to make stupid unhelpful coments?
I don't think burning your pasport will help u out at all. i know that all this person wants is attention but come on if u ent got nothing good to say don't bother saying it!
Old Oct 21st 2007, 3:57 am
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold

long story short: left uk at 16, been abroad all these years, moving back to uk next year...17 years later... as a single mum to one boy.

i have never paid taxes in uk because i have never worked. Am i able to apply for any benefits upon my return? what would those be?

And from a point of view of working with a 7 year old child to care for, would it be better to work p/t than f/t? in terms of benefits received.

thanks in advance for your help.

sharon
yuo should have no problem benefits are easy to come by in uk

Last edited by raven; Oct 21st 2007 at 4:03 am. Reason: ditto
Old Oct 21st 2007, 5:17 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

This page may help:
http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/bene...les_abroad.asp
Old Oct 21st 2007, 6:15 pm
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Just to clarify: You left UK at 16, have never paid taxes, return to UK with a child and your childs father is paying you no maintenence. You then want to know if working f/t or p/t pays more benefits. And you want to claim as many benefits as possible...

Go to the social security / dole office / benefits office and they'll let you know.

Read Perthforme thread too as that might also help. I beleive they left Aus after a year to go back to UK due to health reasons. They paid Tax's in UK all their lives, and from what I can gather got buggar all help on returning to UK.

Happy sponging.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 6:42 pm

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Just noticed this: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...97#post4629697

You own your own flat outright in HK. Presume you'll sell that to fund your move to UK? Of course the liklehood is you would not be able to claim anything if you bring so much money in to UK, that's if you do sell and bring all your money in that is....

Also, your post here re Tax: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...02#post5438902

Sounds like you don't have to pay UK Tax for any money you bring in to UK. You don't sound like someone who is destitute for money and that's what the benefits system is geared up for.

Anyway, claim it all. It's what you're entitled to after all
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 4:58 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
Happy sponging.
Unnecessary comments IMHO.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by fatbrit
After reading the posters threads, not so IMHO
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

Hong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really niceHong Konger is just really nice

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I agree, so unnecessary.

My situation means I could be raising a son all alone in UK with no support watsoever financially....The flat is ours in HK, hubby and mine and NO he gets to live in it still while we have to rent in UK....don't bother posting if u aint got nice all to say, Walter. U dont know all the facts, tut.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

Just noticed this: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...97#post4629697

You own your own flat outright in HK. Presume you'll sell that to fund your move to UK? Of course the liklehood is you would not be able to claim anything if you bring so much money in to UK, that's if you do sell and bring all your money in that is....

Also, your post here re Tax: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...02#post5438902

Sounds like you don't have to pay UK Tax for any money you bring in to UK. You don't sound like someone who is destitute for money and that's what the benefits system is geared up for.

Money does not last forever........
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Cjvolitan
Why do some people waste time to make stupid unhelpful coments?
I don't think burning your pasport will help u out at all. i know that all this person wants is attention but come on if u ent got nothing good to say don't bother saying it!
Totally...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.