Weak Pound

Old Mar 19th 2013, 12:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Weak Pound

Due to the weak pound now is an excellent time for expats to buy property in the UK. Good news for those of you who are looking to do this.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...-UK-homes.html
Old Mar 19th 2013, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weak Pound

I was surprised at how high property prices are over there though. They seem to have risen significantly since we left in 2005.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 5:16 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Due to the weak pound now is an excellent time for expats to buy property in the UK. Good news for those of you who are looking to do this.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...-UK-homes.html
When I bought this house in 2007, the pound was at $2 = £1, and prices were at their peak

I'm just glad I decided to go for a low deposit mortgage rather than put all of my savings into it and get a lower mortgage - but even so, I ended up converting $50k = £25k, whereas historically for most of the previous 10 years it would have been $50k = £31k.

Now exchange rates are back to a decent level I hope to exchange the rest of my US house sale proceeds before they bounce back up again!

But yes, as Sally said, house prices are still high compared to less than 10 years ago.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 8:30 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

It's at $1.51 for a pound today according to Xe. I may have to send a few $$ to my UK account.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 8:38 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
It's at $1.51 for a pound today according to Xe. I may have to send a few $$ to my UK account.
£1.00 = $1.58 according to Wells Fargo a few minutes ago.
Old Mar 19th 2013, 9:02 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

$1.51 according to MSN money. It makes my British pension go down!
Old Mar 19th 2013, 9:07 pm
Yorkshire Lass

WhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to beholdWhoFan63 is a splendid one to behold

Yes, I always get confused with the exchange rates and have to remember that to buy UK funds it's best to look when the US dollar is lower and sell UK funds when it's higher. So with regards to pensions etc etc, it must be frustrating when the $ is low.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 1:10 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

It's a double-edged sword! I elected to get my pension quarterly, with next payment April 24th. (Would like pound to go up)! But we are going to England for a vacation in June, and I would like the pound to be weak). Ha ha! Have to take the good with the bad eh?
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 8:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

House prices are still absurdly high in the UK in comparison to the US or Europe.
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 11:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
House prices are still absurdly high in the UK in comparison to the US or Europe.

Some are...some aren't. It all depends on the area.

As far as the US is compared...how can you possibly compare a filmsy US built house to a UK house?
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 11:44 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Absurdly cheap compared to here
Old Mar 23rd 2013, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

I looked at house prices in certain areas in Manchester and was surprised how resonable it was. Of course it depends on the area ( because I've seen expensive houses in Manchester as well) but I was heartened to see that I might be able to buy after a few years working and saving if I lived in Manchester
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 8:40 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I think it will be this way for a long time to come. A weak pound means high inflation and therefore the ability to print more money. We have to, we don't make anything to sell anymore. I believe the service sector accounts for about three-quarters of the economy.
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 8:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Huge disparities in prices between the SE of England and other parts of the Kingdom. I libe in a place where you can get a habiatable apartment for £40,000. Add another zero to that for a similar place in the Great Wen of London ! (I stole that expression from Cobbett)
Old Apr 3rd 2013, 6:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WhoFan63
£1.00 = $1.58 according to Wells Fargo a few minutes ago.
And that's why most people here use xe, xoom, or some other web FX business!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.