British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   "We don't have to follow your rules ! We are English !" (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/we-dont-have-follow-your-rules-we-english-934142/)

scot47 Aug 3rd 2020 3:45 pm

"We don't have to follow your rules ! We are English !"

On our Scottish island. Local baker's shop on Saturday. Rule is 2 customers in the shop at a time. Customers are asked to wear masks. A group of 5 come in together. assistant points out the rules. "We don't have to follow these rules. We are English !"

Tourism is part of our economy but..............

Nand Aug 3rd 2020 5:31 pm

Re: "We don't have to follow your rules ! We are English !"

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12891688)
On our Scottish island. Local baker's shop on Saturday. Rule is 2 customers in the shop at a time. Customers are asked to wear masks. A group of 5 come in together. assistant points out the rules. "We don't have to follow these rules. We are English !"

Tourism is part of our economy but..............

Ouch. Rude lot weren't they.

Pulaski Aug 3rd 2020 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12891688)
On our Scottish island. Local baker's shop on Saturday. Rule is 2 customers in the shop at a time. Customers are asked to wear masks. A group of 5 come in together. assistant points out the rules. "We don't have to follow these rules. We are English !" .....

There is much daftness (and that's being charitable) on my side of the pond, but despite the "constitutional rights" that can't be removed even in the event of a global plague, a business/ property own still has absolute rights to restrict activities* on his/ her (including a corporation or state or local government) own property, so "no guns allowed" is legally enforceable despite the Second Amendment. And so is "masks required". :nod:

* This does not extend to discriminatory restrictions, such as "no blacks allowed", or "no homosexuals".

It sounds to me like they were perhaps Brits who would normally have spent their holidays on the Costas drinking lager and eating fish & chips. :unsure:

philat98 Aug 3rd 2020 7:02 pm

In Italy every shop seems to have its own rules as Pulaski says for the US. You have to study the signs on the window to work out the protocol. I suspect Scots can break the rules just like the English.

BristolUK Aug 3rd 2020 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12891824)
There is much daftness (and that's being charitable) on my side of the pond, but despite the "constitutional rights" that can't be removed even in the event of a global plague, a business/ property own still has absolute rights to restrict activities* on his/ her (including a corporation or state or local government) own property, so "no guns allowed" is legally enforceable despite the Second Amendment.

If the customers have guns and the owners don't, how do they enforce it. ;)

Pulaski Aug 3rd 2020 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 12891945)
If the customers have guns and the owners don't, how do they enforce it. ....

How it's enforced under any circumstance is always an interesting question, especially as a "concealed weapon" is exactly that, and is unlikely to be discovered unless the person carrying it is subject to at least a pat-down search.

That said, there in an interesting dichotomy in the US, that has only come into focus for me over the past six months, that while there is the very well known right to own small arms in the US, to an extent that is obviously unprecedented anywhere else in the world,* in practice it is difficult to do anything with a gun in the US that doesn't involve either [1] shooting at a gun range or on private land, or designated hunting land, or [2] using a gun in a genuine and provable self defence "situation", without commiting a crime. Merely removing a gun from its holster in public, or even allowing a holstered gun to accidentally become visible, can lead to a charge of "brandishing a weapon", which is a misdemenor, but pointing a gun at someone, even if not fired, is generally prosecuted as a class of "assault" and is a felony.

* 87% of global production of small arms are sold in the US, it is not uncommon during times of "crisis" in the US for arms sales over a 2-3 months period to exceed all guns owned by police agencies and/or all small arms currently owned by US military forces. :blink: Such sales are largely incremental i.e. adding to the number of guns in private hands.

MartynK Aug 4th 2020 10:04 am

The RKBA (2nd Amendment) isn't really unprecedented. It was derived from the English Bill of Rights 1689, which originally limited this right to Protestants, but there were no serious attempts to restrict the right to keep and bear arms in the UK until the Firearms Act 1920 was passed. The usual explanations for this revolve around increasing concerns about violent crime and, controversially, the desire to keep firearms out of the hands of the working class. Millions of men had been trained to handle firearms in the services, and were disillusioned with post war Britain, which wasn't the 'land fit for heroes' that Lloyd George had promised.

dougal03 Aug 4th 2020 12:36 pm

It is not only the British types who normally would spend their time on the Spanish Costas. You will find them everywhere.Go to Brighton,Sussex,where I once had a business.Saturday afternoons were a nightmare with yobs gearing up for later.Likewise,the Isle of Wight,Edinburgh,Blackpool where I spent some time in the RAF,many areas in Glasgow or Manchester city centres,yes,just about any part of the British Isles.It is very hard on a shop owner left to comply with the rules when confronted with someone who believes "we don't have to follow the rules".Many years ago my business was targeted by Animal rights groups who told me they were going to "free my parrots" & other birds.The Police said they would intervene if necessary which I found unsatisfactory.So put a notice up saying that "I will free my German Shepherds" should anyone try to enter the premises.I had no trouble but it is very hard for businesses who have poor backup by the authorities.

scot47 Aug 4th 2020 6:39 pm

Yob Tourism. We could escape that by going to live in The Democratic Peoples Republic of Korea. You go first.

BristolUK Aug 5th 2020 1:30 am

Originally Posted by MartynK (Post 12892140)
The RKBA (2nd Amendment) isn't really unprecedented. It was derived from the English Bill of Rights 1689,.

If you want to limit the definition of the word, yes.

without previous instance; never before known or experienced; unexampled or unparalleled:
Unparalleled currently.

BEVS Aug 5th 2020 3:12 am

Originally Posted by dougal03 (Post 12892195)
who told me they were going to "free my parrots" & other birds..

You have parrots ? :wub:

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12892417)
Yob Tourism. .

It is everywhere I feel these years and not just confined to those that are English. Mind you , perhaps there will be a refocus and natural adjustment now.

spokeM Aug 22nd 2020 5:48 pm

Are you making this up, to be honest I have my doubts about this story. It does sound like a person with racist views against a certain race from a certain country.

Pulaski Aug 23rd 2020 1:08 am

Originally Posted by spokeM (Post 12900581)
Are you making this up, to be honest I have my doubts about this story. It does sound like a person with racist views against a certain race from a certain country.

What an interesting first post from a new member - that you chose to impugn the credibility and reputation of a long-standing member who has made around 9,000 posts. :confused:

We have a robust moderator group who pull no punches and will delete a post or suspend a member in a heartbeat, for a broad range of posting infractions, and I suspect that you are closer to be censored than Scot47 is. :nod:

spouse of scouse Aug 23rd 2020 1:20 am

Originally Posted by spokeM (Post 12900581)

Joining a forum just to slag off another poster is suspicious. Maybe stick around and contribute to ongoing discussions, then you'll find that people take you seriously ;)

Pulaski Aug 23rd 2020 1:45 am

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 12900764)
Joining a forum just to slag off another poster is suspicious. Maybe stick around and contribute to ongoing discussions, then you'll find that people take you seriously. ....

Pretty much what I just said. :nod: