Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

US Healthcare discussion moved from Over 50's & 60's thread

US Healthcare discussion moved from Over 50's & 60's thread

Old Jan 8th 2011, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
The reason they canelled it was because when i was out for the 2 months for my recovery, my Company decided to change my staus from full time to part time. part time emplyees dont get benefits, so when the renewal came around they didnt renew mine. So as of january 7th my insurance was made inactive. I have yet to recieve anything in writing, but when I spoke to my HR person from work yesterday, they said that is what happenend , and I should recieve some notification soon. I would think that I should have has some kind of notice about this, but as of yet havent.
Jackie
Think this is a COBRA violation - check it out!
Old Jan 8th 2011, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Jackie: You have not caused any upset. In fact, you have educated some people who did not know about the problems with US healthcare. I think this topic will soon go over to a separate thread, and others will join it then. Keep your chin up. Rosie
Thank you Rosie..
Old Jan 8th 2011, 9:17 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aviva
Think this is a COBRA violation - check it out!
It definitely is. If you were staying in the US, it would be vital you signed up for COBRA because without it, you would never get an insurance policy again - at least not until 2014 when the new law kicks in. Since you're leaving it doesn't matter but your company broke the law by doing this and not offering you COBRA.

btw - starting next year the BBC is going to make iPlayer available on foreign iPads for a subscription fee. I believe PCs won't be far behind. I don't know how much they're going to charge yet.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 9:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
It definitely is. If you were staying in the US, it would be vital you signed up for COBRA because without it, you would never get an insurance policy again - at least not until 2014 when the new law kicks in. Since you're leaving it doesn't matter but your company broke the law by doing this and not offering you COBRA.

btw - starting next year the BBC is going to make iPlayer available on foreign iPads for a subscription fee. I believe PCs won't be far behind. I don't know how much they're going to charge yet.
I dont understand it..I am going to call them on Monday and find out why ...the air may get very blue..
Old Jan 8th 2011, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

ldyinlv. i work in call center and have done benefits for nearly 4 years off and on for delta and nw airline employees. you will recieve a cobra notice but the feed of information to the cobra vendor will not have taken place until the event occured which is your last day of insurance. depending how often your company sends the info to the cobra vendor (ceridian or shps for example) it can take 1 week or more to send to them, then they take time to update their records. it usually takes about 3 weeks for delta and NW employees to get their cobra notices and then enroll. cobra is retroactive to date of loss of insurance. expensive sure is.. i am not sure if you are going to enroll but wanted to advise of the processing timeframes. and YES you should have been offered cobra. don't want to lecture you.. can you tell I do this for a living it is not my career aspiration I am working on becoming a speech therapist but i have to pay my bills. irony is i don't have heatlh insurance and haven't since May when I left call center and then returned to help support me and brother who was diagnosed with cancer year ago but for now seems to be in remission. i wish you all the best upon return to UK.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fulwood
ldyinlv. i work in call center and have done benefits for nearly 4 years off and on for delta and nw airline employees. you will recieve a cobra notice but the feed of information to the cobra vendor will not have taken place until the event occured which is your last day of insurance. depending how often your company sends the info to the cobra vendor (ceridian or shps for example) it can take 1 week or more to send to them, then they take time to update their records. it usually takes about 3 weeks for delta and NW employees to get their cobra notices and then enroll. cobra is retroactive to date of loss of insurance. expensive sure is.. i am not sure if you are going to enroll but wanted to advise of the processing timeframes. and YES you should have been offered cobra. don't want to lecture you.. can you tell I do this for a living it is not my career aspiration I am working on becoming a speech therapist but i have to pay my bills. irony is i don't have heatlh insurance and haven't since May when I left call center and then returned to help support me and brother who was diagnosed with cancer year ago but for now seems to be in remission. i wish you all the best upon return to UK.
Thank you for the information, and your concern its very much appreciated..
Old Jan 8th 2011, 10:29 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Sue will get back to you with those numbers later tonight am in the middle of cleaning for tomorrows showing.
It's OK I've done it...thank you anyway.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I can understand people pawning or having to sell jewellery because of unemployment that is understandable, and of course I was unemployed myself for 3 months when I got back here from England and have no money left now, it is all gone.

But not for health care, that is just WRONG!!!
Barb, all along this has been my main reason for wanting OUT, why would I want to work hard all my life to buy a home only to lose it because of illness, it happens all the time, its business as normal, some people just go medically bankrupt, about a Million per year right now, its not very nice when you are at your most vulnerable and sick, but that how it is.

40 million in America have no health insurance at all, the rest of us have it, its just not very good insurance and not full coverage for most of us, 70%-80% coverage for many Id guess, we cant afford 100% coverage, yes we pay the other 20%-30% out of our pockets, the people we voted in have 100% coverage, they have the best of everything.

Its the monthly payments co-payments and deductibles that take us down, lets not forget the insurance companies don't like to pay out, if they can avoid it they will, many Dr's have to call for approval of tests that a patient may need, but they will deny it if they want to save money, the sad stories are endless.

This country has some intelligent people that want reform, but the big money spent by the people who benefit, i.e. Insurance companies, Drug Companies, Big Corporations who own the hospitals back the republican party and they are against change, they tell so many lies that their supporters believe, we are just going around in circles, I cant see it ever changing for the better.

Obama had big plans for healthcare reform but the Reps beat him up and finally the plan he got through was very small, but even now that is going to be canceled if Reps get their way, all that work for nothing, the common man voted against their own best interests, this is why America is suffering in many ways, they go two steps forward and three steps back all the time.

Many people are happy with this system until they are laid off, then opinions change.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Jerseygirl...Thankyou.... just spent 1 hour trying to unglue my fingers got them separated but then tried cleaning the glue off my fingertips and its still there I have given up I just hate that feeling I tried everything to get it off . I was trying to glue the runner for the kitchen drawer which split, got plenty of glue on my fingers but it didnt do a darn to the drawer. Its now held together with a rubber band. Why is it when you are about to show your house everything breaks. A pipe froze and a light fixture broke.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 12:45 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Jerseygirl...Thankyou.... just spent 1 hour trying to unglue my fingers got them separated but then tried cleaning the glue off my fingertips and its still there I have given up I just hate that feeling I tried everything to get it off . I was trying to glue the runner for the kitchen drawer which split, got plenty of glue on my fingers but it didnt do a darn to the drawer. Its now held together with a rubber band. Why is it when you are about to show your house everything breaks. A pipe froze and a light fixture broke.
Did you try WD-40 on it? It can get rid of a lot of sticky stuff and won't harm your skin - just wash in soap afterwards.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 1:42 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
One other thing that struck me last night is that what your employer did could well be a violation of ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act). Did they change a whole group of employees to part-time while you were sick, or were you the only one? If you were the only one, then you would have a strong claim that they discriminated against you because you were ill. I know you won't be here to pursue it, but it might be worth using when you talk to HR.

btw I find it sad that the main reason why so many people have to think about leaving the US is deemed too 'political' to be discussed in the main over 50s thread. This illness and the state of healthcare affairs in the US is one of the main reasons ladyinlv wanted to leave. But even bringing up the subject is cause for her to be shunted off into a side thread. I don't get it. If you live here and you think the US healthcare system is just fine and dandy, good for you. But surely you can still see why she would feel the way she does and allow her to discuss it, just the way others discuss childhood memories or selling their house. Nuts!

Last edited by sallysimmons; Jan 9th 2011 at 2:11 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

aviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to allaviva is a name known to all

One other thing that struck me last night is that what your employer did could well be a violation of ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act). Did they change a whole group of employees to part-time while you were sick, or were you the only one? If you were the only one, then you would have a strong claim that they discriminated against you because you were ill. I know you won't be here to pursue it, but it might be worth using when you talk to HR.

btw I find it sad that the main reason why so many people have to think about leaving the US is deemed too 'political' to be discussed in the main over 50s thread. This illness and the state of healthcare affairs in the US is one of the main reasons ladyinlv wanted to leave. But even bringing up the subject is cause for her to be shunted off into a side thread. I don't get it. If you live here and you think the US healthcare system is just fine and dandy, good for you. But surely you can still see why she would feel the way she and allow her to discuss it, just the way others discuss childhood memories or selling their house. Nuts!
Not sure about Nevada laws, but check with EDD about the legality of changing your status of full-time worker while on short-term medical disability.
I've also been thinking about the apparent policing of the 50-60's thread for seemingly "inappropriate" subjects being discussed in any depth. It is useful and comforting in some ways but perhaps the thread should be renamed "The general chit-chat and cheering section for 50-60's"
.............and awaiting the onslaught of the indignant and offended.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 2:26 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

btw I find it sad that the main reason why so many people have to think about leaving the US is deemed too 'political' to be discussed in the main over 50s thread. This illness and the state of healthcare affairs in the US is one of the main reasons ladyinlv wanted to leave. But even bringing up the subject is cause for her to be shunted off into a side thread. I don't get it. If you live here and you think the US healthcare system is just fine and dandy, good for you. But surely you can still see why she would feel the way she does and allow her to discuss it, just the way others discuss childhood memories or selling their house. Nuts!
Maybe we need a separate "Read Me" Wiki/sticky on rules for the Over 50's/60's thread.

I can see the point of trying to keep threads on-topic, but when you consider what us over 50's are like, you have to expect a little meandering of focus now and again.

Sorry, what was the question?
Old Jan 9th 2011, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Maybe we need a separate "Read Me" Wiki/sticky on rules for the Over 50's/60's thread.

I can see the point of trying to keep threads on-topic, but when you consider what us over 50's are like, you have to expect a little meandering of focus now and again.

Old Jan 9th 2011, 2:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dunroving

What is the focus?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.