Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

US Healthcare discussion moved from Over 50's & 60's thread

US Healthcare discussion moved from Over 50's & 60's thread

Old Jan 8th 2011, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: OVER 50's & 60's MOVING BACK TO THE UK - Part II

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Actually, I've done the calculations on all taxes in the UK and in the US and factored in health care costs, and I'll be quite a bit better off in the UK.

Taxes across the two countries come out slightly lower in the UK for me when you count NI, VAT, property and income tax in the UK and then balance that against FICA, fed tax, state tax, town tax (in my case), sales tax and property taxes here. That leaves my $1,400 of health care costs as money I will quite simply save in the UK.

Even those of you who don't pay for your own health care may still find you save money (although if you're in NH where there's no state tax, that might tip the balance the other way).

Of course then there's the fact that every time you need to see a doctor, it won't cost you a co-pay. Every time you need a procedure, there won't be a deductible. Half the times you need a prescription, you won't be told it's not covered and you'll have to cough up the whole amount yourself ... the list of savings for most of us will be quite long, as they are for ED.
Not having to worry about if you, or any member of your family can afford to be ill is PRICELESS in my opinion. It's all very well for those that are provided with, or can afford to have a Cadillac policy that covers them for any eventuality, it's that "I'm all right Jack" attitude that really pees me off.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 2:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Poppycat....You start another thread because the issue of Health is a big issue and it takes up a great deal of this forum when it really gets going and it has go back to each time its been taken up it gets heated and sometimes not very nice. No one disagree's with the fact that many go home because of it and I do not think US healthcare is the best but we need to roll it in with all the other issues that make us want to go home and it isnt my first thought when I think of going home. I am more afraid of being on my own not being able to cope in a large country, not having bus service, being a great distance from my children. Those facts all come into the equation about going home. I want to learn from those who have gone home and not make some mistakes that they have made we cannot do that if we are continually banging on about healthcare.

I think there are many things that worry older citizens back home. Ask them what happens when one of you gets really sick and needs to go into a nursing home. If you do not have a will that fully covers that the UK Government can take away all your money. I know that from when my Mum got sick and went into a nursing home we were forced to sell her home and pay the nursing home vast amounts of money for poor very poor care. You see thats why healthcare is a much wider issue and not for this forum it would take up pages and pages and posting by those who are home and those going home who need just everyday issues solved would get lost in this debate. I started this forum for those people. I realized that many are being forced to return home because of health issues but most of them want to go anyway.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trottytrue
Poppycat....You start another thread because the issue of Health is a big issue and it takes up a great deal of this forum when it really gets going and it has go back to each time its been taken up it gets heated and sometimes not very nice. No one disagree's with the fact that many go home because of it and I do not think US healthcare is the best but we need to roll it in with all the other issues that make us want to go home and it isnt my first thought when I think of going home. I am more afraid of being on my own not being able to cope in a large country, not having bus service, being a great distance from my children. Those facts all come into the equation about going home. I want to learn from those who have gone home and not make some mistakes that they have made we cannot do that if we are continually banging on about healthcare.

I think there are many things that worry older citizens back home. Ask them what happens when one of you gets really sick and needs to go into a nursing home. If you do not have a will that fully covers that the UK Government can take away all your money. I know that from when my Mum got sick and went into a nursing home we were forced to sell her home and pay the nursing home vast amounts of money for poor very poor care. You see thats why healthcare is a much wider issue and not for this forum it would take up pages and pages and posting by those who are home and those going home who need just everyday issues solved would get lost in this debate. I started this forum for those people. I realized that many are being forced to return home because of health issues but most of them want to go anyway.
Can the Moderator move over the recent healthcare issues discussion onto a separate thread. That way we can keep some of the current information?
Old Jan 8th 2011, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

trottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond reputetrottytrue has a reputation beyond repute

Islandwomen...I think that would be a very good idea this issue is important to all of us but it needs it own space as it is such a broad issue. I am not trying to be mean or say those who have health issues are wrong but it is a big issue and I think it deserves its own space.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 2:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Can the Moderator move over the recent healthcare issues discussion onto a separate thread. That way we can keep some of the current information?
Islandwomen...I think that would be a very good idea this issue is important to all of us but it needs it own space as it is such a broad issue. I am not trying to be mean or say those who have health issues are wrong but it is a big issue and I think it deserves its own space.

OK we're on it.

Mods don't always read all the posts...therefore it's best to PM a mod/s with a request such as this. Thank you.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 3:17 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandwoman120
Yep, no problem if you can give me the post numbers of the posts in question, that will save me some time and also ensure that the correct posts are moved, as I would hate to move the wrong ones.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Moderator..Really appreciate your help and will remember your advice. I don't want those posters who have strong views on this issue to be ignored but I just thought it could take over our topic re. going home and felt I had been less than understanding with ldyinlv given her situation so this way those who need to vent can do so and perhaps we can all learn more.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sue will get back to you with those numbers later tonight am in the middle of cleaning for tomorrows showing.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 3:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Moderator..Really appreciate your help and will remember your advice. I don't want those posters who have strong views on this issue to be ignored but I just thought it could take over our topic re. going home and felt I had been less than understanding with ldyinlv given her situation so this way those who need to vent can do so and perhaps we can all learn more.
Actually there have been dozens of threads in the US Forums re US vs UK healthcare...they tend to get very heated! If anyone is interested in reading them they can be located by using the Search function located in the pink bar at the top of the page. Go to Advanced Search...then put 'Healthcare' etc and search the thread titles. Make sure you highlight the US Forums in the large box at the bottom left hand side of the page. If anyone who has problem locating the threads let me know and I will help.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

I apologize for causing all this controversy. It was not my intention, I was merely venting about my experience yesterday, I did not mean to cause any problems. Having been very stressed out recently about my move, and having this scan hanging over my head, it was just the final straw for me and I needed to vent. The main reason I didnt leave before Christmas was because I had to wait for this scan, so when it looked yesterday that I may not be able to get it, I was upset and needed to discuss it.. It was never my intention to get everyone upset..
Jackie
Old Jan 8th 2011, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

I am sorry if I misunderstood you Idyinlv did they give a reason why they cancelled your insurance.

I am still saying we have been down the healthcare road on this forum quite a few times and it always ends up the same way. Those who don't like US Healthcare and those who have good US healthcare. It just so happens my husband and all my family have good healthcare. But I know many dont. But this is not the forum to discuss it for one thing it takes it way to much space and people lose sight as to what the forum was set up for and that was help in returning to the UK and helpful hints. I have said before if you want to discuss it and there is plenty to discuss on both sides of this issue in both the US and the UK then open up another link. Those people living in the Uk have paid into healthcare all their lives. well most of them have. Below is how its done.

1.How is health care in the UK financed?

Show Answer
Answer

Health care is almost totally financed out of taxation. 80% of the finance comes from general tax revenues while 15% comes from national insurance contributions.
The reason they canelled it was because when i was out for the 2 months for my recovery, my Company decided to change my staus from full time to part time. part time emplyees dont get benefits, so when the renewal came around they didnt renew mine. So as of january 7th my insurance was made inactive. I have yet to recieve anything in writing, but when I spoke to my HR person from work yesterday, they said that is what happenend , and I should recieve some notification soon. I would think that I should have has some kind of notice about this, but as of yet havent.
Jackie
Old Jan 8th 2011, 5:35 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
The reason they canelled it was because when i was out for the 2 months for my recovery, my Company decided to change my staus from full time to part time. part time emplyees dont get benefits, so when the renewal came around they didnt renew mine. So as of january 7th my insurance was made inactive. I have yet to recieve anything in writing, but when I spoke to my HR person from work yesterday, they said that is what happenend , and I should recieve some notification soon. I would think that I should have has some kind of notice about this, but as of yet havent.
Jackie
Jackie, most insurance policies are good for 30 days, after they are closed. Check into it.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 6:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
I am not having a go at America or Americans, but honestly this is 2011 the USA is supposed to be a "rich" nation and a citizen of that country has to sell jewellery to pay for medical treatment!!!!!!!!!!

That is just WRONG IMHO!!
Barb, that is nothing compared to some of the horror stories we see, and I mean it, as least Jackie is through the worst, what if she'd just got coverage had the surgery and was told it was being revoked with $70.000-$80.000 oweing, dont think it doens't happen becasue it most certainly does, I look at Jackie as one of the lucky ones, Americans have to live with it, they cant go to the UK, they have to face up to it, and all the worry thats goes with it, and Again its why I feel sorry for Americans.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 6:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Barb, that is nothing compared to some of the horror stories we see, and I mean it, as least Jackie is through the worst, what if she'd just got coverage had the surgery and was told it was being revoked with $70.000-$80.000 oweing, dont think it doens't happen becasue it most certainly does, I look at Jackie as one of the lucky ones, Americans have to live with it, they cant go to the UK, they have to face up to it, and all the worry thats goes with it, and Again its why I feel sorry for Americans.
I agree Fish, I am lucky, at least I had insurance and was lucky enough for them to discover my problem. I got excellent care from my Doctors and nurses, and have no complaints about any of that...I dont want to seem ungrateful, because it is very possible these people saved my life. The finacial part is just very frustrating..
Jackie.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

islandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond reputeislandwoman120 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
I agree Fish, I am lucky, at least I had insurance and was lucky enough for them to discover my problem. I got excellent care from my Doctors and nurses, and have no complaints about any of that...I dont want to seem ungrateful, because it is very possible these people saved my life. The finacial part is just very frustrating..
Jackie.
Jackie: You have not caused any upset. In fact, you have educated some people who did not know about the problems with US healthcare. I think this topic will soon go over to a separate thread, and others will join it then. Keep your chin up. Rosie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.