Upcoming Referendum

Old Jun 27th 2016, 8:54 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Upcoming Referendum

Originally Posted by not2old
c&p'd what I posted on the Canada forum

"As I see it in simple terms - being a member of the EU is political, controlling & costly just to be a club member

Something for the UK might be the EEA?

Being in the EEA without all of the cost & the political BS is probably a better deal, says Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, allows them to be part of the EU’s single market

http://www.efta.int/eea/eea-agreemen...basic-features

For the UK, why not have the 'sweat deal' that Switzerland has?

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/atyour...FTU_6.5.3.html
"
Because, as I said in post #179, we'd lose our seats at the EU tables where we currently can help make, shape, and change EU laws.

Norway and the other EEA countries have to follow about 75% of EU rules with no say in the making of them.

Are you sure this is what you want?
Old Jun 27th 2016, 8:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
Because, as I said in post #179, we'd lose our seats at the EU tables where we currently can help make, shape, and change EU laws.

Norway and the other EEA countries have to follow about 75% of EU rules with no say in the making of them.

Judging from not2old's posts, he's not exactly in agreement with the free movement of labour that comes with EEA membership...
Old Jun 27th 2016, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Some bedtime reading for not2old:

EU immigration: Norway and Switzerland

Last edited by BEVS; Jun 27th 2016 at 10:22 pm. Reason: remove quote is all
Old Jun 27th 2016, 9:11 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

of course, because outside the EU why would the UK want to shape anything that is EU at the cost of it & have the EU dictate what the UK does?

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Judging from not2old's posts, he's not exactly in agreement with the free movement of labour that comes with EEA membership...
Revision, see if this works

In simple terms, without dealing with a Scotland referendum

- Within 24 months from the Brexit vote, the UK is no longer a member of the EU, deal done, divorce papers signed

- Some sort of trade agreement is in place, whether its an EEA, EFTA or a Switzerland deal... just something. If not, then naff off.

- UK has no the freedom of movement with any of the EEA or EU counties, no Schengen area either

- UK retains full control over its borders, immigration, all welfare, pensions, work, wages & tax

- UK broadens its scope of trade partners & imports from wherever, whatever it is at the best price. Increases trade with the Orient, South America, Mexico, Russia & the US. If one of the European countries has something it wants to sell to the UK at a better price than the UK can get from outside the EU, then its a deal

- UK opens its trading for countries outside Europe for industry & manufacturing to create UK jobs & exports
Old Jun 27th 2016, 9:13 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Some bedtime reading for not2old:

EU immigration: Norway and Switzerland

read that earlier somewhere else & that is why I revised my list in the last post.

The UK would need or have to tighten them there borders & immigration without freedom of movement
Old Jun 27th 2016, 9:13 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Quality debate there
The quality of the riposte depend on the quality of the contribution to a certain extent.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Jun 27th 2016 at 9:16 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

read that earlier somewhere else & that is why I revised my list in the last post.

The UK would need or have to tighten them there borders & immigration without freedom of movement
As clearly enumerated in the linked-to article, neither the EEA nor Switzerland's agreeement would give you what you are looking for.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 9:36 pm
Dichotomus tinker

As clearly enumerated in the linked-to article, neither the EEA nor Switzerland's agreeement would give you what you are looking for.
it would need to be a made for the UK deal, with some sort of free trade with the EU countries, if no free trade type deal is available without the EU putting some conditions or restrictions to that which hinders the UK rights to control itself 100% [all of immigration, border controls, welfare, laws, tax, health etc] then the UK goes to wherever to the global market to get the deal that works. Similar to the Asian & sub-Asian countries including SA & OZ.

America could end up being a better trading partner for import & exports - whatever works best for the UK without being controlled or stranglehold by the EU or any country.

Its a wait & see what the outcome will be

Last edited by not2old; Jun 27th 2016 at 9:40 pm. Reason: edited
Old Jun 27th 2016, 9:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

it would need to be a made for the UK deal, with some sort of free trade with the EU countries, if no free trade type deal is available without the EU putting some conditions or restrictions to that which hinders the UK rights to control itself 100% [all of immigration, border controls, welfare, laws, tax, health etc] then the UK goes to wherever to the global market to get the deal that works. Similar to the Asian & sub-Asian countries including SA & OZ.

America could end up being a better trading partner for import & exports - whatever works best for the UK without being controlled or stranglehold by the EU or any country.
Over 50% of UK exports go to the EU, EEA and Switzerland, with 11% to the US. That's a huge difference:

OEC - United Kingdom (GBR) Exports, Imports, and Trade Partners
Old Jun 27th 2016, 9:49 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

it would need to be a made for the UK deal, with some sort of free trade with the EU countries, if no free trade type deal is available without the EU putting some conditions or restrictions to that which hinders the UK rights to control itself 100% [all of immigration, border controls, welfare, laws, tax, health etc] then the UK goes to wherever to the global market to get the deal that works.
There will be no EU single-market deal without also having EU free movement as well.

Switzerland tried that two years ago and were told 'no way'.

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Jun 27th 2016 at 9:53 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 9:57 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The Tory leadership challenger that worries me most is Theresa May. She's kept herself out of the public eye. She's the perfect candidate from the Remain point of view because she avoided both campaigns and would be seen as neutral. But she's currently the Home Secretary and has form for being in favour of reducing immigration.
Agreed although I think May would be a very good choice. I had thought Gove would step up as the party intellectual heavyweight but he's backing Boris to lift the poisoned chalice. I think the "Anyone but Boris" section of the Conservatives will unite behind May in order to clean up this mess. She's very strong on the details and isn't afraid of hard graft unlike Boris. I can easily see her having the stamina to go toe-to-toe with Merkel to thrash out a deal over the next two years.

Last edited by BritInParis; Jun 27th 2016 at 10:21 pm. Reason: Typo
Old Jun 27th 2016, 10:10 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Over 50% of UK exports go to the EU, EEA and Switzerland, with 11% to the US. That's a huge difference:

OEC - United Kingdom (GBR) Exports, Imports, and Trade Partners
Thanks for that.

I was trying to get to after the EU exit that if the EU trading deal wasn't there 'what it' or could it be possible' to widen broaden the world trading with others that has restricted the UK for the past 40 odd years?

Over time the world has become a different place

There will be no EU single-market deal without also having EU free movement as well.

Switzerland tried that two years ago and were told 'no way'.
if thats what it takes, then the UK has to do what it has to do if its out totally from 'free trade' within the EU
Old Jun 27th 2016, 11:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrishP
A great article from Mark Mardell at the Beeb on the differing relationship mainland Europeans and Brits have with the EU:
Brexit: The story of an island apart - BBC News

"By the end of my time based in Brussels I was convinced that I had understood the key difference. To many in the UK being part of the EU was a hard-headed economic relationship, about free markets, selling and buying stuff. It was a sort of second best, a consolation prize after the loss of empire, but not one that had a similar place in patriots' hearts.
But for nearly all the other countries it was a refuge. It was a home they were constructing as a bulwark against history, against horror.
Germany was fleeing its role in spreading death and destruction to every corner of the continent, fleeing its own political ambitions. France was running away from defeat and occupation, from humiliation and powerlessness.
So were many other countries. Greece, Portugal and Spain found refuge - in an imagined future - from the real past of right-wing dictatorships. The countries of the East were replacing communist tyranny with a new attempt to create peace and democracy."
Wow - really makes you think. Thanks for sharing.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

LoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Nicely worded.
I have no real strong feelings on any of this except that I am glad my assets are in Canada but I am fearful for my step mother who voted out but isn't worried about the value of her pension that shes only 7 days away from drawing on. As far as shes concerned she was promised a pension when she retires and she wants England to be a little island all by itself. Its romantic but that's all....
Same thing in America. The people were promised Social Security and they want it if it's there or not.
I'm only 47 so I know I won't see it.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 11:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
The pound has come back some already. It's think where it was Last week from what I can tell.
Iit's over inflated anyway, makes it hard for exports.
A lower pound would be good for us exporting and for attracting more visitors from other countries. Not so good for retirees living elsewhere.
Lots of histrionics online on some other sites. Woah is me, we're all going to hell in a hand basket and It's all the fault of the older generations sticking it to the younger ones who are throwing their toys out of the pram and calling for another vote. Democracy isn't their strong point when they don't get their own way.

Oh how smug you are!! Just as well you're not living in California now isn't it? Maybe if you were an expat about to retire this year and collect your British pension you'd be singing a different tune. The British (or maybe I should say the English and the Welsh) screwed up. It's a bloody mess and you know it - why do so many people regret their votes? The leave people didn't (and still don't have an exit strategy). What a screw-up! Cameron really messed up even offering a referendum in the first place - and yes I'm pissed off that I didn't even get a vote. I am British but apparently have lived out of the country for too long. What a screw-up - it's like a sinking ship with no-one at the helm!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.