Upcoming Referendum

Old Jun 27th 2016, 8:17 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Upcoming Referendum

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Yes. It's clearer now that his aim was for the opposite result, 52-48 remain. He would then have claimed that the margin for remain was too small to be an endorsement of Cameron's campaign and called for his ousting in October.

He hasn't got a clue how to deal with the leave vote.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Yes. It's clearer now that his aim was for the opposite result, 52-48 remain. He would then have claimed that the margin for remain was too small to be an endorsement of Cameron's campaign and called for his ousting in October.

He hasn't got a clue how to deal with the leave vote.
If this is true, it is quite terrifying. We could be heading off a cliff, but not because of leaving the EU.

You know, watching Boris make that speech reminded me of the deer-in-the-headlights look on New Jersey Gov Chris Christie's face after he endorsed Donald Trump
Old Jun 27th 2016, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

My only hope is that someone really strong will succeed David Cameron, so someone in whom the world will have faith. Even though Boris and Michael are the front runners, the visible force in Brexit, there are others behind them and I do hope they are in fact creating a viable plan. It is so pathetic! We now hear of several Brexiters experiencing bregret. We also hear the young voters blaming the older ones for the way they voted. And yet we hear that there was a low turn out of young voters! What a farce! Meantime our economy which was doing so well is spiraling downwards.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 4:06 pm
Forum Regular

LoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud of

Hello everyone.
What I heard this morning is beyond troubling.
Nigel Farage stated in an interview, that there is no guarantee of the money that was being sent to the EU will be put back in the NHS.
How does this man sleep at night?
Part of the exit campaign was based on keeping Britain's money IN BRITAIN.
It's unbelievable, he's just another deceptive (blank) out for his own interests.

What's bothersome is how Farage played the immigration card.
He played upon everybody's fears regarding that issue.
There is no way, Britain will kick out immigrants. If that happens, the EU will send British citizens back home. There's no way Britain will stop new immigrants from coming in (IF VETTED RIGHT). If that happens, UK citizens won't be able to settle anywhere except in the UK. I do agree that Britain should be managing their borders and keep out anyone who would cause harm.

At least the banks in Britain were smart to prepare for the Brexit vote. PM David Cameron just announced that provisions have been made for the next few years. I guess they knew Mr. Farage was hiding something.

Anyway, what's done is done. The vote has knocked world markets down for now but they will bounce back. Trade will continue and the U.S. will not abandon its' sister country. I still believe in the long run, Britain's exit from the EU will be a benefit and that other countries will follow.

Which brings me to Scotland. Hopefully, the Scottish people will wait to see what happens before declaring their independence. It wouldn't make sense for Scotland to remain in the EU if France, Italy and Greece are the next countries to depart.

Any other thoughts?

Please, no nasty responses
I love discussing issues but there's no need to be rude to each other.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 4:16 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michali
My only hope is that someone really strong will succeed David Cameron, so someone in whom the world will have faith. Even though Boris and Michael are the front runners, the visible force in Brexit, there are others behind them and I do hope they are in fact creating a viable plan. It is so pathetic! We now hear of several Brexiters experiencing bregret. We also hear the young voters blaming the older ones for the way they voted. And yet we hear that there was a low turn out of young voters! What a farce! Meantime our economy which was doing so well is spiraling downwards.
I don't know if there are any official numbers out yet of the portion of each age demographic that voted. I am anxious to see those stats and if anyone has a link to them, please put it up. I think it's entirely possible that youth did not vote in the percentage they should have, but............

A lot of the social media commentary from youth is from those who are below the age of 18. 16 and 17 year olds who didn't want a Brexit are making their complaints, and - given the British social and educational structures - they have a valid complaint. They can register to vote as early as age 16. Their Scottish counterparts can vote at age 16 (in Scottish elections). They can leave school to take employment at age 16. Given all this, in my opinion, they've got every right to be ticked off.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

The economy is not spiralling downwards. The exchange rate and FTSE have been down for a couple of days for heavens sake. Keep some perspective.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 4:27 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LoveFortheUK
Hello everyone.
Nigel Farage stated in an interview, that there is no guarantee of the money that was being sent to the EU will be put back in the NHS.
It's unbelievable, he's just another deceptive (blank) out for his own interests.

There is no way, Britain will kick out immigrants. If that happens, the EU will send British citizens back home. There's no way Britain will stop new immigrants from coming in (IF VETTED RIGHT). If that happens, UK citizens won't be able to settle anywhere except in the UK. I do agree that Britain should be managing their borders and keep out anyone who would cause harm.

At least the banks in Britain were smart to prepare for the Brexit vote. PM David Cameron just announced that provisions have been made for the next few years. I guess they knew Mr. Farage was hiding something.

Anyway, what's done is done. The vote has knocked world markets down for now but they will bounce back. Trade will continue and the U.S. will not abandon its' sister country. I still believe in the long run, Britain's exit from the EU will be a benefit and that other countries will follow.

Which brings me to Scotland. Hopefully, the Scottish people will wait to see what happens before declaring their independence. It wouldn't make sense for Scotland to remain in the EU if France, Italy and Greece are the next countries to depart.

Any other thoughts?

Please, no nasty responses
I love discussing issues but there's no need to be rude to each other.
Nicely worded.
I have no real strong feelings on any of this except that I am glad my assets are in Canada but I am fearful for my step mother who voted out but isn't worried about the value of her pension that shes only 7 days away from drawing on. As far as shes concerned she was promised a pension when she retires and she wants England to be a little island all by itself. Its romantic but that's all....
Old Jun 27th 2016, 4:28 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

I still believe in the long run, Britain's exit from the EU will be a benefit and that other countries will follow
I'd like to give you something to really ponder over. Seriously since you say you like a good discussion.

I've always had nothing but admiration for the construct of the EU. For the ideal of it. Americans like me are pretty lucky that we've never had war on our front doorstep. And I mean literally at the front door, as Europeans have experienced. The Europeans who put the single market together wanted to keep any future megalomaniac from hoarding all his countries assets, all the while plotting world domination. The Europeans who put the EU together felt that free movement of people across the continent would improve the overall prospects of citizens. All would benefit from being able to work and live freely together.

I still think this is a noble, important ideal. Given the history of Europe, I frankly can't understand why this concept has been lost on people. I don't think it would be good at all for the EU to break up. I really don't understand why anyone would wish that.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 4:32 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
I don't know if there are any official numbers out yet of the portion of each age demographic that voted. I am anxious to see those stats and if anyone has a link to them, please put it up.
see if this works below

How Brexit vote broke down – POLITICO
Old Jun 27th 2016, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
The economy is not spiralling downwards. The exchange rate and FTSE have been down for a couple of days for heavens sake. Keep some perspective.

You are right! Just panicking!
Old Jun 27th 2016, 5:17 pm
WhiteRabbit

Originally Posted by not2old
No the answer isn't in those figures. Handy though.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

No the answer isn't in those figures. Handy though.
"Turnout generally increased with age"

https://next.ft.com/content/1ce1a720...9-8d2356388a1f

No breakdown by age cohort; they are using median age of electorate as a proxy.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 5:43 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

My only hope is that someone really strong will succeed David Cameron, so someone in whom the world will have faith. Even though Boris and Michael are the front runners, the visible force in Brexit, there are others behind them and I do hope they are in fact creating a viable plan. It is so pathetic! We now hear of several Brexiters experiencing bregret.
The Tory leadership challenger that worries me most is Theresa May. She's kept herself out of the public eye. She's the perfect candidate from the Remain point of view because she avoided both campaigns and would be seen as neutral. But she's currently the Home Secretary and has form for being in favour of reducing immigration.

Some voted Leave as a protest. They've since realised that if enough people protest, someone actually has to do whatever was promised.

Hello everyone.
He said that on Friday, and that nothing will change regarding migration apparently.

On a comfy bed next to his German wife, probably.

Did you really think Farage actually has any say in how money is spent?

Farage isn't a Westminster MP, nor is he a member of the PM's Cabinet, therefore he can't make any promises as to what money goes where, other than UKIP funds.

Farage ALWAYS plays the immigration card. The UK can prevent any EU national from entering the UK on grounds of Public Health, Public Policy or Public Security, and have done so many times.

Trade will continue and the U.S. will not abandon its' sister country.
I think you mean 51st state!

The Tories have been the driving force in trying to get TTIP passed in the EU.

Britain's exit from the EU will be a benefit and that other countries will follow.
Britain's exit will allow the EU to function better without being hindered by a country that didn't want to be bound by the rules the UK helped create.

The UK secured permanent opt-outs from closer political union, the Schengen area, and the Euro, and Cameron got almost every concession he asked for before the referendum.

Old Jun 27th 2016, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to give you something to really ponder over. Seriously since you say you like a good discussion.

I've always had nothing but admiration for the construct of the EU. For the ideal of it. Americans like me are pretty lucky that we've never had war on our front doorstep. And I mean literally at the front door, as Europeans have experienced. The Europeans who put the single market together wanted to keep any future megalomaniac from hoarding all his countries assets, all the while plotting world domination. The Europeans who put the EU together felt that free movement of people across the continent would improve the overall prospects of citizens. All would benefit from being able to work and live freely together.

I still think this is a noble, important ideal. Given the history of Europe, I frankly can't understand why this concept has been lost on people. I don't think it would be good at all for the EU to break up. I really don't understand why anyone would wish that.

A great article from Mark Mardell at the Beeb on the differing relationship mainland Europeans and Brits have with the EU:
Brexit: The story of an island apart - BBC News

"By the end of my time based in Brussels I was convinced that I had understood the key difference. To many in the UK being part of the EU was a hard-headed economic relationship, about free markets, selling and buying stuff. It was a sort of second best, a consolation prize after the loss of empire, but not one that had a similar place in patriots' hearts.
But for nearly all the other countries it was a refuge. It was a home they were constructing as a bulwark against history, against horror.
Germany was fleeing its role in spreading death and destruction to every corner of the continent, fleeing its own political ambitions. France was running away from defeat and occupation, from humiliation and powerlessness.
So were many other countries. Greece, Portugal and Spain found refuge - in an imagined future - from the real past of right-wing dictatorships. The countries of the East were replacing communist tyranny with a new attempt to create peace and democracy."
Old Jun 27th 2016, 8:19 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
Britain's exit will allow the EU to function better without being hindered by a country that didn't want to be bound by the rules the UK helped create.

The UK secured permanent opt-outs from closer political union, the Schengen area, and the Euro, and Cameron got almost every concession he asked for before the referendum.
c&p'd what I posted on the Canada forum

"As I see it in simple terms - being a member of the EU is political, controlling & costly just to be a club member

Something for the UK might be the EEA?

Being in the EEA without all of the cost & the political BS is probably a better deal, says Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, allows them to be part of the EU’s single market

http://www.efta.int/eea/eea-agreemen...basic-features

For the UK, why not have the 'sweat deal' that Switzerland has?

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/atyour...FTU_6.5.3.html
"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.