UK schools

Old Sep 13th 2014, 5:37 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK schools

Back in the days of yore, I went to a single sex state-aided grammar school. It was the best girls' grammar in the area, so we were the "crème de la crème". Nine girls from my primary school made the grade.

The school was made a comprehensive in the early seventies. In 2,000, surfing the web, I came across a speech given at the school by the local Labour MP, in which she told the girls that they were lucky to be at that particular comprehensive, because it only took [B]two girls from each primary school in its catchment area.

So it had actually become more selective, not less, despite the abolition of the 11+ exam.

Nowadays it is an Academy and boasts that 30% of its pupils go to Russell Group universities.
Old Sep 13th 2014, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Because RE is such a rigorous academic subject.
The reason I didn't want to take it at "academic" level is they'd have us writing essays on "jesus" and "god" and stuff like that. And i'm not kidding. Open level RE is so easy I just sit on BE the whole time

Actually I just do that anyways.
Old Sep 13th 2014, 8:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
The reason I didn't want to take it at "academic" level is they'd have us writing essays on "jesus" and "god" and stuff like that. And i'm not kidding. Open level RE is so easy I just sit on BE the whole time

Actually I just do that anyways.
I was criticising the RE and not you
Old Sep 13th 2014, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I was criticising the RE and not you
I know I was criticising the RE too.
Old Sep 29th 2014, 10:23 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
Well that's good to know; I had thought private school was more prevalent there. Personally I don't see the difference, unless private school allows students to pick their own courses rather than have required stuff that they don't necessarily care about shoved down their throats.
Bit of an old thread but I haven't been to the Rovers Return for a while. About 7% of the children are privately educated in Britain, I am not sure but I think the proportion is similar in Ontario/BC but is much lower in other parts of Canada. It is not about curriculum but class sizes, school ethos and social class.

The other reason for oversubscribed schools in Britain is high immigration/lack of infrastructure.