UK rentals, what's included?

Old Aug 15th 2009, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK rentals, what's included?

Getting to the stage where we are making initial decisions on what to take/leave and considering I'm going ahead stuff needs to be kept here for a while and I can borrow some things in the UK. We won't buy until this time next year, maybe a bit sooner, so I'll need to rent a place first off. I know it will vary, but in general what comes with an unfurnished UK rental?

Fridge (I can borrow one anyway)
Washing Machine
Dryer
Microwave
Dishwasher (not that we ever use ours as we are only two people)

Thx

Last edited by Tr1boy; Aug 15th 2009 at 10:14 am.
Old Aug 15th 2009, 9:51 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK rentals, what's included?

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Getting to the stage where we are making initial decisions on what to take/leave and considering I'm going ahead stuff needs to be kept here for a while and I can borrow some things in the UK. We won't buy until his time next year, maybe a bit sooner, so I'll need to rent a place first off. I know it will vary, but in general what comes with an unfurnished UK rental?

Fridge (I can borrow one anyway)
Washing Machine
Dryer
Microwave
Dishwasher (not that we ever use ours as we are only two people)

Thx

It varies completely. In my experience there is no standard expectation. It oftens depends on whether the landlord has a fridge, etc., already in there and coldn't be bothered to get rid of it. A disincentive to provide these amenities is that if they break down the landlord is then responsible for replacing them.

In general, I'd say you do not find any of the above as standard in an unfurnished rental (though may be different in different parts of the country or higher end of the market).
Old Aug 15th 2009, 10:06 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dunroving
It varies completely. In my experience there is no standard expectation. It oftens depends on whether the landlord has a fridge, etc., already in there and coldn't be bothered to get rid of it. A disincentive to provide these amenities is that if they break down the landlord is then responsible for replacing them.

In general, I'd say you do not find any of the above as standard in an unfurnished rental (though may be different in different parts of the country or higher end of the market).
This is true.

We've lived in three unfurnished rentals since moving back over three years ago and each one was different.

The first had a fridge, a freezer, a washing machine, tumble dryer and cooker but no microwave. The next one had a fridge and a cooker. The one we're currently in had nothing.

If we were to move again, who knows?
Old Aug 15th 2009, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

So, expect the unexpected then.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

lincoln46 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ours will have a cooker and hob, a place for the washing machine, but nothing else. We have ordered loads on line, and there is a place local to where we will be going that has promised same day delivery for bed, fridge, freezer and washing machine.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 2:45 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, on reflection, unfurnished rentals usually have a cooker. But as for the rest, yes, expect the unexpected (or don't expect anything).
Old Aug 16th 2009, 3:48 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

The last one I rented had a cooker and some fitted wardrobes in the big bedroom. I had to buy a washer and a fridge.
I've noticed on some of the pictures of homes for rent some have everything except the furniture. Nice.
Old Aug 16th 2009, 4:59 pm
Ping-ponger

Depending on where you rent, you might try asking the landlord to provide fridge, washer, dryer. There is a glut of rental property in some areas and so I think potential tenants are in a stronger position than previously to negotiate these things.