Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

UK living costs versus Australia costs

UK living costs versus Australia costs

Old Nov 14th 2008, 9:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond reputeTootsie Frickensprinkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK living costs versus Australia costs

Originally Posted by Stu Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket1
As we're returning to the UK next year, we've been comparing costs. I thought others might find this an interesting topic.

Income tax is 20% in the UK, it's 28% here. The basic rate is 22%

There is no VAT on basics like food and clothing, there is GST on some foods and clothing here. Adult clothes do carry VAT, so does served food

Food is much more expensive here than in the UK because options are far more limited. Disagree, we eat better in Aus and its cheaper

Despite bananas being grown here, this week they were more expensive per kilo than Sainsbury's. Agreed

I am currently being charged $360 a year for hosting my web site. After a dispute with the hosting company, I've just signed upto a hosting company in the UK for less than $100 a year. Agreed

Internet connection is much more expensive. Agreed

So is satellite and digital TV. Agreed, but its still crap

Interest rates are at 7.25% here, in the UK they are 3%. rates are higher, but you get more house for your $ over here. Our house in the UK is half the size of its equivalent in OZ

Depending on what you do for work, wages are similar but the cost of living here is more expensive. Our $ goes much further here than our sterling in the UK

Seeing a doctor here costs you $48 every visit. Seeing a doctor in the UK is free. What about National Insurance payments you make even if you dont visit the doctor ?

There is little competition in the way of energy companies so they are far more expensive than the UK. UK has the most expensive energy in the developed world

It costs more in air conditioning than it does in heating in the UK. No Chance

Rates bills include, ambulance, street cleaning, park maintenance and additional costs to maintain a location that is nowhere near where I live so i don't use it. Rates (Council Tax) are extortionate when you consider what you get for your money

Electricity bills include anbulance cover so it seems we get double charged for this just in case we get hit twice in one day i guess. ???? Ambulance cover on your leccy bill ?

When we're told to save water and we have to abide by the current severe water restrictions, the council forget that they won't be able to charge us the normal levy for water rates. Hence they double our rates for everything else to cover any shortfall.water rates are about 600 sterling even if you dont turn the tap on, water meters are also very expensive

In Australia, our weekly outgoings are currently $1474.

In England, they would be $965. If this includes your mortgage, do you live in a tent ?

These figures are based on the following;

Mortgage
Private health cover
Food
Petrol
Rates
Trauma Cover insurance
Telephone
Internet
Car
Satellite TV
Electricity
Body Corporate Insurance
Boat
Going out.

I dont get this

Stu
I've not read all this so dont know if anyone else has corrected you or not, but you need to check quite a few statements made there. A number are outright wrong.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 9:20 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

They are right for me in my circumstances based on what I own and earn.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

They are right for me in my circumstances based on what I own and earn.
You are kidding with the Brown comment, right? Britain is in serious trouble, and while a lot of this is because of global financial practices, much of it is because of Brown's fiscal policies. First, he sold all British gold to the Chinese when it was worth $200 an ounce shortly before it sky-rocketed to over $1000 an ounce. Second, he plundered the pensions and wiped billions off of their value, and third, he borrowed so much money to fund his progressive welfare state that the country is now running a bigger government deficit than any other country in the world apart from Pakistan, Egypt and Hungary, Malaysia, India and Ireland. See The Economist for details.

The IMF has stated categorically that Britain is particularly screwed and in one of the worst positions to deal with the imminent depression, and to make matters worse, the UK doesn't even have any natural resources or manufacturing to fall back on, both of which could have been helped by Brown if he had stock-piled British oil for the last decade and kick-started some kind of export industry instead of bloating our financial services to fill practically the entire economy and allowed every man and his dog to borrow ten times more than they could ever pay back and spend it on depreciating assets. On top of that we now have record home repossessions, and a housing market crashing six times faster than in the 1990s with at least two years to go. Official unemployment is currently 1.82 million, will be over 2 million in a few weeks and is on course for 3 million or more by this time next year.

As if the damage already caused by Labour isn't bad enough, their solution is even worse. To solve a problem caused by borrowing too much, Labour now announces the solution is to borrow some more, and cut rates to 2% or lower and cut taxes. This will trigger a run on sterling and cause it to collapse as a global currency, and this will require Britain to get bailed out by the IMF like a banana republic. Which, incidentially, is exactly the same thing that happened at the end of the last British Labour government in the 1970s.

That is why Brown is to blame, and that is why Britain is seriously stuffed for the next ten years.

Last edited by Tableland; Nov 15th 2008 at 6:55 am.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 7:09 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

But sadly, that is what all Labour Governments do. We're in yet another Labour boom and bust cycle. I didn't vote Labour. Did you?
Old Nov 15th 2008, 7:23 am
Banned

BTW, the current financial crisis began in America with unscrupulous finance brokers offering 'liar loans' to the less well off. I'm no fan of Brown or a Labour government but Brown did not cause the current problem. America's unregulated banks and borrowing system did.
Brown has fallen foul of the trap and because of his fiscal policy, he has dug himself a big hole but he alone can't be blamed. The Bank Of England would have seen the threat to the economy but they did nothing until it began hurting them and their big salaries.
This devaluing of the meaning of money was aways going to happen because it's all based on greed.
And even for savers, you can't really get bitter can you? You would have seen the small print informing you that the higher the percentage rate, the higher the risk. If you went the option of the high interest rate, then you were as greedy as anyone else. You take the risk, you take the fall.

Now stop knocking Britain and start helping it get back on it's feet. It's been in worse shape and survived. It will pick up and start again, as we all have to after a crisis.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 7:48 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

But sadly, that is what all Labour Governments do. We're in yet another Labour boom and bust cycle. I didn't vote Labour. Did you?
I did and I will again.

It will be be a cold day in hell before I ever vote for a tory crook
Old Nov 15th 2008, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I was under the impression that it wasnt the banks on their own who doled out the NINJA (No Income,No Job or Assets) loans - it was a Democrat initiative in Carter's time and reinforced during Clinton. The now PE actually prosecuted banks for failing to give ENOUGH NINJA loans (it's discrimination you see). Unfortunately I think we are all going to be in the doo for some time because it goes against the prevailing political doctrine to make the changes that are required to fix such problems.

As for living costs in UK vs Aus - I was home in July/August and was very pleasantly surprised by the cost of food, eating out, clothes. Petrol was a bit of a stinger but I was driving the aged rellies Merc so comparing it to my little Fiesta was a bit unrealistic but even so it wasnt THAT bad that we couldnt cope with it!

My Aussie DH became addicted to the markets and we did daily shops for the salad veg that he would have grown in our garden back here - he was grudgingly impressed, especially with things like strawberries which were just in season and he was actually surprised at the large range of greens he could get. Meat was a bit more expensive but there wasnt that much difference because he always buys organic which is more expensive anyway but a much bigger range of certified organic to choose from there - except kangaroo, he did moan that he couldnt get kangaroo!

I would imagine that my parents power bills would be quite a bit bigger than ours but I dont think I would need to have the house heated to 28C in the winter (that's what it feels like!) nor cooled to 15C in the summer (they try!).

Their Park and Ride is more economical and efficient than me driving and parking in Central Canberra and I could happily live with such a scheme.

Eating out in pubs was way cheaper than the equivalent here - and HUGE plates full of excellent food into the bargain. It was great to get a nice roast with yorkshire and roast vegies and our local pub was doing it for less than I could get a toasted pannini and cafe latte at the cafe I usually frequent in town.

Even so, with the diving dollar in the dunny, reliant on our super, we would be in a sad way in UK and would need to go back to work I would think - if I could persuade him to move over at all.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 10:13 am
Banned

The point is it doesn't matter which country you live in, if you've acted out of greediness and bought into the idea that you can everything for nothing, you're going to come unstuck.
I grew up in absolute abstract poverty, whenever I've made a gain I've been grateful. I didn't invest it or try and earn from it by making it grow into some great lottery win, I just was grateful. Mostly I used it to buy a home by using my own capital and borrowing as little as possible.
It says something when 78% of debts are incurred by young females hooked on shopping. It says everything when it's women who will feed their familes out of Aldi so they can spend the bulk of their housekeeping in nail salons, shopping in Next and going to the gym.

Oh dear, this economic crisis had to happen. I work in fashion. When young mums tell me to layby something on their child support payments, while their babies drink cola out a bottle, it says far more than I want to hear.
we might have to row hard yet, but hopefully we'll reach shore with some different ideas on what money is for.
Anybody read the news about Baby P lately?
Old Nov 15th 2008, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

lobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to all

YES.....but unfortunately baby p is just one of many ........thats the problem uk has ib going too politically correct .........
Old Nov 15th 2008, 2:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

No I did not, but Tories boom and bust too.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

BTW, the current financial crisis began in America with unscrupulous finance brokers offering 'liar loans' to the less well off. I'm no fan of Brown or a Labour government but Brown did not cause the current problem. America's unregulated banks and borrowing system did.
Brown has fallen foul of the trap and because of his fiscal policy, he has dug himself a big hole but he alone can't be blamed. The Bank Of England would have seen the threat to the economy but they did nothing until it began hurting them and their big salaries.
This devaluing of the meaning of money was aways going to happen because it's all based on greed.
And even for savers, you can't really get bitter can you? You would have seen the small print informing you that the higher the percentage rate, the higher the risk. If you went the option of the high interest rate, then you were as greedy as anyone else. You take the risk, you take the fall.

Now stop knocking Britain and start helping it get back on it's feet. It's been in worse shape and survived. It will pick up and start again, as we all have to after a crisis.
The current financial crisis in Britain happened because British governance allowed it too. Trust me, the US and Australia will recover far faster than the UK. Did Brown regulate the banks before this happened? No. You might absolve Brown of his direct responsibility in this, but the British electorate will not. He is toast.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by quoll
I was under the impression that it wasnt the banks on their own who doled out the NINJA (No Income,No Job or Assets) loans - it was a Democrat initiative in Carter's time and reinforced during Clinton. The now PE actually prosecuted banks for failing to give ENOUGH NINJA loans (it's discrimination you see). Unfortunately I think we are all going to be in the doo for some time because it goes against the prevailing political doctrine to make the changes that are required to fix such problems.
Right. This mess was started by social democrats who allow their gross misjudgement of human nature to screw up everybody's lives.

As for living costs in UK vs Aus - I was home in July/August and was very pleasantly surprised by the cost of food, eating out, clothes.
This is called deflation, as you know quoll. It is much worse than inflation and is going to get seriously bad in this country, via wage deflation. The same will happen in Australia. What starts out as this week's affordable TV soon becomes wages falling through the floor a la 1934.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

The point is it doesn't matter which country you live in, if you've acted out of greediness and bought into the idea that you can everything for nothing, you're going to come unstuck.
But this is the exact opposite of what is happening, isn't it? All the twats who bought cars and houses they couldn't afford are having their debts written off and all the decent people that saved their money are being ****ed by interest rate cuts. What is happening right now is a crime being committed to prop up corrupt and incompetent bankers.
Old Nov 15th 2008, 9:54 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Tableland
But this is the exact opposite of what is happening, isn't it? All the twats who bought cars and houses they couldn't afford are having their debts written off and all the decent people that saved their money are being ****ed by interest rate cuts. What is happening right now is a crime being committed to prop up corrupt and incompetent bankers.
But that's the risk of putting money into high interest accounts isn't it? Or didn't you read the small print when you signed up? Didn't you realise what your money was being used for?
Wherever you hoard money, there is a risk attached. Anyway, be happy. At least you've got money to lose. A lot of people have lost their homes, jobs and more besides.
I've lost 30% of my super. Tough nuts. It just means I have to work a year longer. That's how it is.

Oh and your comment about 3 million being unemployed contrasts very sharply with the problem of there being a gross shortage of skilled trades people in the UK. This is especially a problem for the Olympic games stadium.

Do yourself a favour. Stop buying the newspaper, be glad of what you've not lost and count your blessings. Like the fact that you woke up this morning to write your gloomy post. Life should be all about blessings, never losses.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

But that's the risk of putting money into high interest accounts isn't it? Or didn't you read the small print when you signed up? Didn't you realise what your money was being used for?
Wherever you hoard money, there is a risk attached. Anyway, be happy. At least you've got money to lose. A lot of people have lost their homes, jobs and more besides.
I've lost 30% of my super. Tough nuts. It just means I have to work a year longer. That's how it is.

Oh and your comment about 3 million being unemployed contrasts very sharply with the problem of there being a gross shortage of skilled trades people in the UK. This is especially a problem for the Olympic games stadium.

Do yourself a favour. Stop buying the newspaper, be glad of what you've not lost and count your blessings. Like the fact that you woke up this morning to write your gloomy post. Life should be all about blessings, never losses.

Cricket

I have ignored the last few attempts you make to bring my personal finances into this, and will continue to do so. My money is perfectly safe, thanks very much, because I knew all this was going to happen six months before the BBC started reporting it.

My concern therefore is not personal, but because I am able to see what massive damage is en route due to the effect of devaluing sterling. Imports are going to go through the roof, for one thing. And all the intelligent and sensibvle people you dismiss as idiots over the prats who spent other prople's money are going to get angry and take their money out of their 0% interest accounts and invest their money abroad: even more trouble for British banks.

As for you r comment about a lot of people losing their homes - no one has lost their home because they are not their homes to lose are they? If they borrowed more than they could afford by a wild margin (and these are the people who get their houses repossessed because they took a 40k load out to swan about in a hired BMW) then they deserve to lose the bank's home.

Those who "hoard" money , i.e., sensible savers and not greedy pigs, are now in a position to pay their mortgages off and actually make theier houses their own, for real. Only they can't do that because Gordon Brown has destroyed the value of property in the UK for a generation.

In terms of the unemployed thing, you shouldn't allow the analysis of one particular sector or in this case an individual project (Olympics) to provide you with an overview of the entire economy, which is the UK's case is absolutely screwed beyond all imagination. Id this country has only 3 million unemployed by 2010 then it may count itself truly blessed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.