Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

UK Job Situation - Is it really as bad as the media portrays?

UK Job Situation - Is it really as bad as the media portrays?

Old May 7th 2010, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Job Situation - Is it really as bad as the media portrays?

I wish I could claim job seekers allowances but with the disappearing quity in the bank I have too much lol! 3 interviews in the next week fingers crossed everyone! 1 in 3 would not be bad!
Old May 7th 2010, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

bobbarker12345 is a jewel in the roughbobbarker12345 is a jewel in the roughbobbarker12345 is a jewel in the roughbobbarker12345 is a jewel in the roughbobbarker12345 is a jewel in the rough

i recently had a temp position interviewing people for call centre positions at a major international bank. i interviewed all types of people for roles that pay betweek 12-15k a year all over the UK. many candidates were well overqualified for the positions, and came from various backgrounds (IT, engineering, law) because they couldnt find jobs in their fields. the UK must hand out work visas to anyone who wants one. i interviewed so many candidates from pakistan and nigeria who had graduates degrees but couldnt string complete sentences together. there are still a lot of people coming to the UK every year from wherever for the promise of a better life.
Old May 13th 2010, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Marmalade
Hi McBaine,

Just being nosy...are you back in Australia now?

Also, I am hoping to move back this summer, and the only thing that worries me (big worry) is the job scene. I am a teacher and am well aware of the cutbacks in education in the UK (especially Scotland where I am from). In my unrealistic world, I move back and secure a position before the end of the summer. But, in my realistic world I worry that I will find nothing in any sector. Big worry..
Hi
We family of 6 moved back in 2007 and being a teacher I have had no problems at all getting work. My husband is a HGV driver and has been made redundant 3 times in the last year, he is still working finds another job immediately, but we have heard of many firms laying off drivers for months at a time and paying them 30 pounds a day. Lots of driving jobs HGV1 are only paying 6-8 pounds a hour which is so much less than 5 years ago. I am teaching privately on 30 pounds an hour. There is work, but you mayhave to use an agency first until the school are happy with you and you wil definately need a new Criminal Record Bereau.
Old May 14th 2010, 2:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Heavenlyscent
Hi
We family of 6 moved back in 2007 and being a teacher I have had no problems at all getting work. My husband is a HGV driver and has been made redundant 3 times in the last year, he is still working finds another job immediately, but we have heard of many firms laying off drivers for months at a time and paying them 30 pounds a day. Lots of driving jobs HGV1 are only paying 6-8 pounds a hour which is so much less than 5 years ago. I am teaching privately on 30 pounds an hour. There is work, but you mayhave to use an agency first until the school are happy with you and you wil definately need a new Criminal Record Bereau.
That's good. Are you in Scotland?
Old May 14th 2010, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Marmalade
That's good. Are you in Scotland?
Sorry no, we are in north east lincolnshire, which has high unemployment so ther is work available. We have friends in Scotland and there seems to be enough work still. Good Luck
Old May 14th 2010, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

jonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond reputejonfrank123 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm having problems finding staff at the moment. The way the media go on about it you'd think there would be 100 of 'em at my door clutching their CV's
Old May 14th 2010, 1:21 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
I'm having problems finding staff at the moment. The way the media go on about it you'd think there would be 100 of 'em at my door clutching their CV's
I don't know about small businesses struggling, either. I can't get a plumber, electrician, decorator, joiner, carpet fitter, etc. to even bother to turn up and give me a quote.
Old May 15th 2010, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

sarahburns is an unknown quantity at this point

does anyone know what the job prospects for (engineering) geologists are like in the uk at the moment?
Old May 22nd 2010, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

Conrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of lightConrad242 is a glorious beacon of light

how is situation in telecommunication industry in the UK?
I do cabling jobs in Australia but it doesn't seem to be a well paid job, e.g satellite tv. aerials, AV, structured cabling, cat5, etc. lot of rubbish with Telstra or Foxtel.
Old May 22nd 2010, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I don't know about small businesses struggling, either. I can't get a plumber, electrician, decorator, joiner, carpet fitter, etc. to even bother to turn up and give me a quote.
That is a global issue mate. The ones that don't bother turning up are a bunch of rude tossers . When I was self employed in the service business I turned up. It is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ******* rude not to!!!
Old Sep 14th 2010, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

Sergia is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a languages teacher (Spanish with French) I was teaching the UK for 10 years and came back to Spain in 2009. I have had 2 temporary jobs here but now I am unemployed. Myself and my husband are planning to go back to the north east of England but I am scared of the job situation especially related to teaching. Would it be easy to find a teaching job once I am there?
Thanks a lot
Old Sep 14th 2010, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sergia
I am a languages teacher (Spanish with French) I was teaching the UK for 10 years and came back to Spain in 2009. I have had 2 temporary jobs here but now I am unemployed. Myself and my husband are planning to go back to the north east of England but I am scared of the job situation especially related to teaching. Would it be easy to find a teaching job once I am there?
Thanks a lot
I have no doubt you will find a teaching job when you are here. They are still very much in demand.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 6:56 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Heavenlyscent
I have no doubt you will find a teaching job when you are here. They are still very much in demand.
I'm not sure about England, but in Scotland there is not a shortage: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10215287
Old Sep 15th 2010, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jonfrank123
Jon frank what kind of positions are you recruiting for?
Old Feb 13th 2011, 11:43 am
Just Joined

Sergia is an unknown quantity at this point

I went to England for an interview at the beginning of December and a newly qualified teacher got it as they are cheaper than a teacher with experience. I have also applied for other job but I doubt I will be shorlisted being still in Spain. There are not many languages jobs coming up and this worries me. However, the government is planning to introduce the English Baccalaurate and this means that more academic subjects will have to be studied for GCSE and this includes one language. HOpe Spanish becomes more popular than now
Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.