UK a 3rd world country.

Old Aug 29th 2012, 1:11 am
is finally happy

Tel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to beholdTel8 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: UK a 3rd world country.

Originally Posted by dunroving
I think that's just a generational thing.
LOL - that's what my mum says (I suspect she may be right- she usually is)
Old Aug 29th 2012, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

Egon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud ofEgon has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
From a newsletter I receive.........

I grew up in a generation (I am 67) that used adjectives like First World, Second World, Third World, West and East, North and South, poor, rich, developed, under-developed, developing and more to describe their nations and others. They all have two things in common. First, they are no longer adequate or relevant to describe the world as it is today. Second, they were created by people living in formerly wealthy nations who considered themselves and their ways of life to be superior to others. How did they know they were superior? They knew because they were rich and the others were poor. It was all about money.

Today, many of these "rich" nations are drowning in a sea of debt of their own creation, often dependent on the willingness of the "poor" nations to lend them money so their economies do not collapse, but many still act as if they are superior. They have come up with some new terms. Two popular ones are "emerging economies" (or markets) and "advanced economies" (or markets). These terms will eventually die out too. New categories will be created, but they will be chosen by today's so-called "emerging economies", not just the self-anointed "advanced economies". Perhaps the one thread of continuity with our past will be that the terms chosen will again be all about money. That habit is simply human and knows no national boundaries.

I mention this often in my reports not as an insult to my home nation, the US, or any other formerly "First World" or "Second World" nation. They are all great nations in their own right, but they should no longer consider themselves superior simply on the basis of their past. They also have to come to grips with the present. Many "classes" of humanity understand this shift and have moved globally - the rich in search of comfort or security, the working poor in search of a job, criminals in general, terrorists in general, refugees in general. I think it can be argued that the "criminal class" is the most globalized class on earth as it shows absolutely no respect for national borders and never has.
If that's a highlight worth sharing I dread to think what other dross is in this newsletter
Old Aug 29th 2012, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Egon
If that's a highlight worth sharing I dread to think what other dross is in this newsletter
And your reasoning is.........????
Old Aug 29th 2012, 7:00 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes i couldnt agree more.

Originally Posted by Egon
Old Aug 29th 2012, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Yes i couldnt agree more.
And your reasoning is......????
Old Aug 30th 2012, 5:26 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its a bit like using one of my posts from late one night after 3 bottles of wine
That'll be any one of approx 15,000 posts then ?!

Last edited by asprilla; Aug 30th 2012 at 5:29 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 12:02 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

The latest gem is apparently in the UK people wont look you in the eye and would never dare strike up a conversation with a stranger at a bus stop etc. I really must tell all these people that keep talking to us to put their heads down and shut up, didn't they know people only do that in Australia.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 7:22 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

The latest gem is apparently in the UK people wont look you in the eye and would never dare strike up a conversation with a stranger at a bus stop etc. I really must tell all these people that keep talking to us to put their heads down and shut up, didn't they know people only do that in Australia.
And you know that depends on where you are living - its certainly true around here. I've lived here nearly 7 years, and only recently has one of my neighbours started talking to me. My immediate neighbours i know, but most don't acknowledge you around here.

Back in Wales, and everyone gossips so they all talk to you
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 7:49 pm
Banned

Yes obviously it depends where you live and that applies to anywhere in the world. It seems to be OK for people to assume that everywhere in Australia total strangers just start up spontaneous conversations with you (which they dont). We were in our house here for a couple of days and half the neighbours had introduced themselves and one fella that lives just up the road walked past and introduced himself and 5 minutes later invited me down the pub and bought me a pint and introduced me to various other locals.
It seems OK to say that everyone in the UK is almost afaid to talk to strangers for some reason. My point is it seems acceptable to make sweeping innaccurate generalisations about the UK.
Originally Posted by old.sparkles
And you know that depends on where you are living - its certainly true around here. I've lived here nearly 7 years, and only recently has one of my neighbours started talking to me. My immediate neighbours i know, but most don't acknowledge you around here.

Back in Wales, and everyone gossips so they all talk to you
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 8:01 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Yes obviously it depends where you live and that applies to anywhere in the world. It seems to be OK for people to assume that everywhere in Australia total strangers just start up spontaneous conversations with you (which they dont). We were in our house here for a couple of days and half the neighbours had introduced themselves and one fella that lives just up the road walked past and introduced himself and 5 minutes later invited me down the pub and bought me a pint and introduced me to various other locals.
It seems OK to say that everyone in the UK is almost afaid to talk to strangers for some reason. My point is it seems acceptable to make sweeping innaccurate generalisations about the UK.
And to imply that it is completely untrue is equally inaccurate - people make the generalisation that the UK is unfriendly because that is what they've experienced or heard, and although not true for some areas, is very true for others, particularly city areas
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 8:32 pm
Banned

Exactly, as it is for any country in the world and any city in the world.

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
And to imply that it is completely untrue is equally inaccurate - people make the generalisation that the UK is unfriendly because that is what they've experienced or heard, and although not true for some areas, is very true for others, particularly city areas
Old Sep 4th 2012, 8:01 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

I do find it harder work in England though, whatever anyone says. At the bottom of it people are the same everywhere in terms of how open or closed they are, but I find the English in particular are quite reserved for a bit before they warm up, but are then a lot of fun. I'm English, and I am definitely in this category with strangers. We both made far more friends far quicker in Australia than we ever did when we moved out of London to rural England, and the funny thing is that many of those people were from Britain.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 8:09 am
Banned

I have found wherever we are some people are very open, some arent and others just arent approachable at all. Maybe we are just lucky where we are now ? My wife comments on how friendly people are almost everywhere we go, we were told that people in shops would be miserable and unhelpful, well Im not sorry to say we have seen no evidence of that at all. Almost without exception people have been more than happy to go above and beyond to be helpful. I really dont see where the bad reputation comes from to be honest.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 9:45 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

We've spoken more to our neighbours here in 4 months than we did in NY over 13 years.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 11:01 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it also depends what type of person you are. Some-one has to break the ice first and say hello and it may as well be you.
I am fairly chatty and always speak to the check-out person at the supermarket for example. If you are chatty they are often chatty back.

People who moan and say everyone is unfriendly and no-one says hello, well why don't you say hello first?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.