British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   The Tyranny Of Dialysis (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/tyranny-dialysis-936346/)

scot47 Jan 2nd 2021 7:23 am

The Tyranny Of Dialysis

Going to the Mainland every second day for Kidney Dialysis is getting me down. I should count my blessings and reflect that this procedure is keeping me alive. However "Weltschmerz" is getting to me. Made worse by the fact that the new lockdown means that everywhere - except essential food outlets - is closed.

I will be 74 next month and sometimes wonder if it is all worth it !

Oy vey iz mir.

spouse of scouse Jan 2nd 2021 7:40 am

Re: The Tyranny Of Dialysis

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12952593)
Going to the Mainland every second day for Kidney Dialysis is getting me down. I should count my blessings and reflect that this procedure is keeping me alive. However "Weltschmerz" is getting to me. Made worse by the fact that the new lockdown means that everywhere - except essential food outlets - is closed.

I will be 74 next month and sometimes wonder if it is all worth it !

Oy vey iz mir.

No wonder it's getting you down Scot, what a slog :( You're allowed to be grateful for the treatment and at the same time pissed off with having to travel every second day, plus having your freedom to go out and do something different curtailed by the lockdown. Keep plugging away mate, we'd miss you if you weren't here! There are better days ahead :wave:

scot47 Jan 2nd 2021 8:14 am

thanks It will be easier when we get the long-delayed local unit here on the island. Let's hope that it is up and running in the next few months

Helen1964 Jan 3rd 2021 3:48 am

Hope your island gets that new unit soon Scot. Please don’t stop posting. You’re a distinctive voice and I for one would miss you.

scot47 Jan 3rd 2021 9:15 am

I am a contrarian and like to see myself as following in the tradition of The Scottish Enlightenment. Dor thos who wish to se my predecessors see Thomas Love Peacock and his portrayal of "Scotch Feelosofers" !

The Laughing Philosopher, Thomas Love Peacock – Kyra Cornelius Kramer (kyrackramer.com)

scot47 Jan 18th 2021 4:45 am

Yesterday my alarm went off at 5 a.m. I got up reluctnntly, performed my ablutions, dressed and coffee-ed. All ready to go with patient transport and then the realisation dawned on me. It was Sunday !

BristolUK Jan 18th 2021 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12960375)
Yesterday my alarm went off at 5 a.m. I got up reluctnntly, performed my ablutions, dressed and coffee-ed. All ready to go with patient transport and then the realisation dawned on me. It was Sunday !

:lol:
So what did you do, back to bed?

scot47 Jan 18th 2021 8:12 pm

I did

Lion in Winter Jan 18th 2021 9:05 pm

Hope you get that unit on the island soon.

Would they ever consider popping a new kidney into you?

BEVS Jan 18th 2021 10:19 pm

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12960375)

Daft aporth. It is all still worth it Scot47 . Of course it is even if it all feels a drag. Hope the local unit arrives shortly.

Mallory Jan 18th 2021 11:27 pm

We love you Scot. We enjoy your quirky posts!

moneypenny20 Jan 18th 2021 11:40 pm

I imagine having to do Dialysis every other day is depressing/tiring/frustrating at the best of times. Having to do the boat in various weathers whilst dealing with COVID as well would try a saint's patience. Fingers crossed the unit is on the island soon. As long as you're alive and posting in a manner we all know and love, all is (relatively) well with the world.

scot47 Jan 19th 2021 7:23 am

I am too old and have too many other medical problems. It basll started with that bypass in 2003. Carpe Diem ! "One Day At A Time !" as our Confederate cousins say !

Nothing in this post should be construed as support for Southern rebels ! I am a REPUBLICAN and with Honest Abe !

scot47 Feb 15th 2021 6:05 am

I am in of those moods when I look back at my span on Terra and ask "What was that all about ?"

spouse of scouse Feb 15th 2021 11:33 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12973542)
I am in of those moods when I look back at my span on Terra and ask "What was that all about ?"

It can get a bit like that Scot. I find it helps to ruminate on the good times as well as those when we made decisions that were, in hindsight, perhaps not the best ones.

Any word on when the island's getting its dialysis unit? Not having to travel every second day would probably give you a lift.