Too scared to live in England.

Old Jan 26th 2008, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

robclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nice
Default Re: Too scared to live in England.

Originally Posted by Howard1944
Some people believe that the Maldives aka the Falklands are actually Argentinian Territory and not an extension of the U.K.
I remember fighting at Goose Green in 1982 - I could of sworn I was on British Sovereign territory - I don't remember invading the Falklands?
As I recall it was not as warm as the Maldives either...
Old Jan 26th 2008, 8:41 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howard1944
Some people believe that the Maldives aka the Falklands are actually Argentinian Territory and not an extension of the U.K.
Oceans a bit mixed up. Maldives are in the Indian Ocean, Falkand Islands in the South Atlantic. Last I checked Argentina had not laid claim to the Maldives. Oh and its tad colder in the Falklands.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

confusedgirl has much to be proud ofconfusedgirl has much to be proud ofconfusedgirl has much to be proud ofconfusedgirl has much to be proud ofconfusedgirl has much to be proud ofconfusedgirl has much to be proud ofconfusedgirl has much to be proud ofconfusedgirl has much to be proud ofconfusedgirl has much to be proud ofconfusedgirl has much to be proud ofconfusedgirl has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Too scared to live in England.

I see where you're coming from as I felt the same way, that crime was rife in the UK and yobs had free rule. But when I actually thought about it, in the 22 years I lived there I had never been a victim of crime, nor had any of my family or friends. And when I moved to America every day they'd be details of some shooting or another on the news and it was just another story....and I thought geez if people are shot in the UK it's still rare enough to make front-page news. I think overall it's pretty safe, although like everywhere it depends on the area. Try not to take too much notice of the sensasionalist British media...Brits and the media are very good at running the country down, and the negative headlines make for better reading.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Britinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by babsi
Sorry, I had to laugh at 'Maldives'

Islas MALVINAS
Be fair now... he probably went to an American school. The world begins at Los Angeles and ends at New York.. oh but there is some place called Iraq I think...or is it Ireland......

Obviously Geometry is not his strong point.

Last edited by Britinsac; Jan 26th 2008 at 8:59 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 10:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

jojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britinsac
Be fair now... he probably went to an American school. The world begins at Los Angeles and ends at New York.. oh but there is some place called Iraq I think...or is it Ireland......

Obviously Geometry is not his strong point.
You must mean 'geology' - the study of god forsaken rocks in the middle of unspecified oceans...
Old Jan 26th 2008, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nice

I think no matter where you live in the world there are always good and bad parts, it's just the media always picks up on the bad parts, you never hear the media saying how great somewhere is. It sounds lovely where you live in France but I'm sure there are some not so lovely areas nearby so please don't let the bad press of England put you off from returning if that's truly where you want to be.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

We moved back to the UK last May and have to say that we are slightly worried about bringing our boys up in this area. We live in Maidenhead in Berkshire which is a nice area but it seems to be changing rapidly. My husband (who moaned about Perth for the whole 2 yrs we were there) even said that other day that maybe we should move back there because he doesn't want to bring the kids up here as he is scared something will happen to them!! Absolutely no way I'm ever going back to Perth but am starting to wonder whether we should move out a bit from here, somewhere more rural and village -like. It's not that anything bad has happened here but we are right next to Slough which has millions of Romanian travellers setting up homes with 40 people in each house, kid's with no parents among them. There were raids on 17 such houses the other day because kid's are being made to beg on the streets to earn money for these people. Unbelievable really in this day in age. I feel very sad and nostalgic for the time when I was growing up here and we could play outside etc etc. but unfortunately times change. I suppose you can look at it that not all the kids turn out bad, but some do and I don't want mine to be influenced by gangs and knives. I am waffling on now and don't really know what point I'm trying to get to except we are seriously worried about staying here and are not really sure what to do.

Jo
Old Jan 27th 2008, 5:09 pm
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clougherty family
Hi all,

We moved back to the UK last May and have to say that we are slightly worried about bringing our boys up in this area. We live in Maidenhead in Berkshire which is a nice area but it seems to be changing rapidly. My husband (who moaned about Perth for the whole 2 yrs we were there) even said that other day that maybe we should move back there because he doesn't want to bring the kids up here as he is scared something will happen to them!! Absolutely no way I'm ever going back to Perth but am starting to wonder whether we should move out a bit from here, somewhere more rural and village -like. It's not that anything bad has happened here but we are right next to Slough which has millions of Romanian travellers setting up homes with 40 people in each house, kid's with no parents among them. There were raids on 17 such houses the other day because kid's are being made to beg on the streets to earn money for these people. Unbelievable really in this day in age. I feel very sad and nostalgic for the time when I was growing up here and we could play outside etc etc. but unfortunately times change. I suppose you can look at it that not all the kids turn out bad, but some do and I don't want mine to be influenced by gangs and knives. I am waffling on now and don't really know what point I'm trying to get to except we are seriously worried about staying here and are not really sure what to do.

Jo

I dont blame you one bit not wanting to return to Perth but cant you move somewhere nicer in the UK than thinking of going back to Perth?
Old Jan 27th 2008, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

robclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nice

Try Brisbane! Awesome place. I moved here a year ago. But before we begin let me first say I loved England. My friends and family still live there so I don't gloat over how much better our standard of living is here. But in that time (43 years) we were burgled once had cars stolen 4 times and as well as me suffering numerous personal thefts from my office at work (I'm a teacher). This all happened in Oxford, Cheltenham and Portsmouth. To sum it up. My heart is England but my life and home is Brisbane - and boy what a life! Sun, sea, sand, a fantastic house, sport, lifestyle and everything we always planned for ourselves and children! I read these blogs with interest - with most people pining for an England of yesteryear plus a house in a village community..... If you sold - our don't currently have that house now...financially It aint't happening guys! England has moved on, not necessarily for the better either! Wake up and smell the roses. Migration is not the answer for some. But be careful about jumping in feet first in BOTH directions
Old Jan 27th 2008, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

jojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond reputejojosan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Backhomeatlast
I dont blame you one bit not wanting to return to Perth but cant you move somewhere nicer in the UK than thinking of going back to Perth?
I agree with this. However, only you can make the decision for your own family. It sounds to me like you made a considered decision to move back to the UK; however it is the area that is not right for you.

If you live in the environs of a large city and its outskirts, anywhere in the world, you will come across the less desirable elements of society at some point. Move away from it if you can then. Do not get swayed back into the thought that Australia is utopia; as clearly this is not the case and the cities have the same problems as any other around the world. IMO Australia is like the UK/rest of western world in the 1980's (ie a bit behind the times) - but it will catch up! Don't think it won't.

I personally would not want to drag my family backwards and forwards across the world, but that would have to be your decision. It seems quite common that once people get on the emigrating bandwaggon, it is very hard to get off! One may end up with rather a nomadic lifestyle! However, it is possible to say, enough is enough, and to get on with life and to stop thinking it might be better somewhere else....

Good luck with your decisions.
Old Jan 27th 2008, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

gsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nicegsxrmad is just really nice

Originally Posted by jojosan
I agree with this. However, only you can make the decision for your own family. It sounds to me like you made a considered decision to move back to the UK; however it is the area that is not right for you.

If you live in the environs of a large city and its outskirts, anywhere in the world, you will come across the less desirable elements of society at some point. Move away from it if you can then. Do not get swayed back into the thought that Australia is utopia; as clearly this is not the case and the cities have the same problems as any other around the world. IMO Australia is like the UK/rest of western world in the 1980's (ie a bit behind the times) - but it will catch up! Don't think it won't.

I personally would not want to drag my family backwards and forwards across the world, but that would have to be your decision. It seems quite common that once people get on the emigrating bandwaggon, it is very hard to get off! One may end up with rather a nomadic lifestyle! However, it is possible to say, enough is enough, and to get on with life and to stop thinking it might be better somewhere else....

Good luck with your decisions.
Wow!! I totally agree. We all want what is best for our kids!! But for us growing up with their grandparents, aunties, uncles etc.... is the best! Familarity is a wonderful thing, knowing your kids can go to the park with their friends and there is always someone they know walking past or in the shop etc... In perth we feel the kids are unable to go to the shop or park because they know nobody, a few school friends but no real people who would see them in the park every day and if something happened they would go over and help, or say 'hello your lorraines daughter' etc....
No we all moved from England for that better life, and are fully aware that England is still cold, wet, lots of traffic, teenage yobs hanging round outside co-op etc.. But our family and friends are there and they all bring there children up there and turn out well and most of all enjoy life!!!!!!
Old Jan 27th 2008, 11:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

denzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nicedenzil75 is just really nice

Originally Posted by gsxrmad
Wow!! I totally agree. We all want what is best for our kids!! But for us growing up with their grandparents, aunties, uncles etc.... is the best! Familarity is a wonderful thing, knowing your kids can go to the park with their friends and there is always someone they know walking past or in the shop etc... In perth we feel the kids are unable to go to the shop or park because they know nobody, a few school friends but no real people who would see them in the park every day and if something happened they would go over and help, or say 'hello your lorraines daughter' etc....
No we all moved from England for that better life, and are fully aware that England is still cold, wet, lots of traffic, teenage yobs hanging round outside co-op etc.. But our family and friends are there and they all bring there children up there and turn out well and most of all enjoy life!!!!!!
This is so true! Having lived in America before having kids then moving back to the UK when we did have them and thinking how bad the UK had begun to get and it was no place to bring up the kids etc we looked for a better lifestyle and came back to America (where we are now). The lifestyle is fantastic, the area is safe and there is so much for the kids to do, BUT this just doesn't compare to being near to the family so we can take the kids round for their tea etc! So much so that we are planning our return to the UK (hopefully for good) in a few years even if it means we will have to live in a 3 bed semi with a postage stamp garden rather than living in a huge house with 1/2 acre of land, we will be near to family and the kids will be able to grow up with grandparents, aunties, uncles etc around them and that to us is reason enough to go back for good.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

ukflyaway is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bramblebush
One of my biggest reasons for being unsure about returning to England is personal safety for myself and my family.

We are so up and down, we just can't decide what we want.
One day we are going to try and settle and stay then the next day we are desperate to go back to the UK.

Aug 2005 we arrived in France so excited about our new adventure, hating England and believing everything in the papers, yes we got caught up in all the negative stuff.

Feb/Mar 07 we had our first spell of homesickness and admitted to ourselves and to each other that this didn't have to be forever and that it would be ok to return.

April/May 07 the weather was spring like and we decided that we would be mad to give it all up.

Nov/Dec 07 Christmas is looming, we miss family and want to go home.

Christmas came and went we made the most of it and did have a lovely time, decided again that we should stick it out.

Early January we decide we can't stick it out and want to go home.

Then it all gets too complicated to explain, we change from one day to the next.

My main concern is personal safety for all of us, I feel safe here in deepest rural France and to be honest I am scared to live in England.

Can anyone relate to this feeling, I tell myself that it is irrational fear but it still stands in my way.
Sorry to say I can't relate to your problems.
Having flown the coop in 1980 we have lived in various parts of the world(all rural,) we have seen little or no crime( dog barking.. thats different!) Life "abroad" has been good for us and our family. Used to Visit the UK but that stopped in 2002, we found the country had changed for the worse, my old school was totally black! and the crime, "drugs" etc. had increased. The UK's immigration policies seem to have failed the folks!!
We always liked France but just did'nt want to learn another language, we have quite a few friends who live there and almost all have managed the transition well.. it does take some courage and will... My advice would be:try harder to make your new home a path of adventure, with good /great and interesting times ahead.good luck
Old Jan 28th 2008, 5:33 pm
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukflyaway
Sorry to say I can't relate to your problems.
Having flown the coop in 1980 we have lived in various parts of the world(all rural,) we have seen little or no crime( dog barking.. thats different!) Life "abroad" has been good for us and our family. Used to Visit the UK but that stopped in 2002, we found the country had changed for the worse, my old school was totally black! and the crime, "drugs" etc. had increased. The UK's immigration policies seem to have failed the folks!!
We always liked France but just did'nt want to learn another language, we have quite a few friends who live there and almost all have managed the transition well.. it does take some courage and will... My advice would be:try harder to make your new home a path of adventure, with good /great and interesting times ahead.good luck
Out of intrest where did you live? I found more crime drugs and anti social crap in 18 months of living in Perth than I ever did in the UK, also my neighbour has just returned from Vancover, Vancouver's crime rate is tied for highest in Canada. The region's property crime rate is worst in the nation and she hated being worried all the time as they have been burgled 3 times in 2 years, so its not just the UK.

Last edited by Backhomeatlast; Jan 28th 2008 at 5:41 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

ukflyaway is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lionda
I've lived in the north of England (Lancashire) and the south of England (Hampshire) and never seen any violence or felt threatened.
We had fairies in our garden

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.