Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Those who have returned ...do you regret having emigrated in the first place?

Those who have returned ...do you regret having emigrated in the first place?

Old May 20th 2009, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

tinamichelle has a brilliant futuretinamichelle has a brilliant futuretinamichelle has a brilliant futuretinamichelle has a brilliant futuretinamichelle has a brilliant futuretinamichelle has a brilliant future
Default Re: Those who have returned ...do you regret having emigrated in the first place?

Originally Posted by quoll
Yup - half of my life here and half there and I belong there, no doubts at all but, now pretty much beyond the point of no return with a husband who is an Aussie and who wont move.

It's actually very common to meet people who have been here 20+ years who say they regret not going back when they could have and how they stuck it out for the kids. Some are looking forward to an isolated old age as their kids have gone back home for the buzz!

Nothing crazy about you!
It must be hard when your OH is an Aussie, do you have holiday back home and does that help if you do? I think because I have no other family in Perth I fear getting old here.
Mid life crisis at 38!
Old May 20th 2009, 3:20 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Those who have returned ...do you regret having emigrated in the first place?

Originally Posted by tinamichelle
It could be my age or that my mum has cancer but I feel depressed at the thought of dying and being left here buried in some grave yard and my family going back to England without me!
Get yourself cremated and they can take you with them.
Old May 20th 2009, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

tinamichelle has a brilliant futuretinamichelle has a brilliant futuretinamichelle has a brilliant futuretinamichelle has a brilliant futuretinamichelle has a brilliant futuretinamichelle has a brilliant future

I did think about that, but what if they drop me ?
Old May 20th 2009, 4:10 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I did think about that, but what if they drop me ?
Get a rubber urn. Then you'll bounce.
Old May 21st 2009, 12:15 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

It could be my age or that my mum has cancer but I feel depressed at the thought of dying and being left here buried in some grave yard and my family going back to England without me!
Ahh, I wonder if your suffering from a condition that has been named as separation anxiety? It is often caused by feeling at a loss during a time of difficulty and crisis where the person feels that they have no control or input into a situation.
Is it possible that you could go and talk through things with someone?
Old May 21st 2009, 1:56 am
Just Joined

katiev is an unknown quantity at this point

I use to think much the same about this topic.
But Ive come to the conclusion that people want to live among people who look like them and have the same cultural history - that it's important to them to retain whatever common heritage they have.It is more important than economic or any other contribution. The plain truth,I wish it were not so but it is.

My parents are a prime example - both migrants to Australia - my father mostly anglo saxon coming via south africa had a very easy time here and everyone just treats him with complete inclusion and respect even though he's contributed very little to the country.

My mother on the other hand who is mixed race came at exactly the same time with my father - same mannerisms/culture.Just like my dad has been here 40 years,completely australian in nature,but has been told to go back to her own country,is treated completely different to my father - even though she created businesses here,worked non stop for as long as I can remember and has contributed x10 what my father has to the country.

It would be nice if people could go above their own ignorance, but I do think there is something very innate in wanting to be with people who are like you.

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Interesting comments here. I do regret coming of course and I regret that we had to abandon our move back in 06 to come back here until my wife's degree is finished. But that's love I guess

Can't quite fathom some of the anti Asian comments on here. Seems to be an automatic assumption that they are all unsklilled job taking parasites or something. My wife is Korean as you know and studies harder than anyone I've ever seen and has won an award from her uni and is now in a society that recognises outstanding academic achievement as she has never dropped below D but almost exclusively had HDs. She pays her taxes and works very hard in a highly demanding job and will do the same in the UK. Her English is not perfect but it's not bad either, but her work ethic is perfect. And when we are home she looks after and visits the older people in my Dad's bowling club and looks after my parents like they are her own. More than I could say for many Anglos.

As someone who has lived in Colombia, and wider South America, this statement is truly, truly laughable.

Last edited by katiev; May 21st 2009 at 2:05 am.