Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Those who have returned ...do you regret having emigrated in the first place?

Those who have returned ...do you regret having emigrated in the first place?

Old May 17th 2009, 3:17 am
Just Joined

PICKUP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Those who have returned ...do you regret having emigrated in the first place?

HI to you all
like you know every bodys situation is diffrent , sounds like you were hedging your bets renting out your house ,no matter how you get on where ever you go home is always the uk ,but if you dont go you will never know!!!!!!
Like the person before if you plan it carefully it doesnt have to be the end!!!!
We all have different expectations and hopes for the future. Some times i wish i had gone to OZ instead of Canada _3 yesterday 6 inch of snow,today + 12 shorts and t shirt . Comming back to the uk in a couple of weeks.
One thing No regrets though ,done it got the t shirt,and met some amazing people.You only live once and if you get the chance to do things most people only dream about i say ,give it a go!!!!!
Old May 19th 2009, 7:13 am
Just Joined

tinamichelle has a brilliant futuretinamichelle has a brilliant futuretinamichelle has a brilliant futuretinamichelle has a brilliant futuretinamichelle has a brilliant futuretinamichelle has a brilliant future
Default Re: Those who have returned ...do you regret having emigrated in the first place?

I've regretted moving to Perth for 19 years. I have a good life , married a great man, have 2 great kids and a swimming pool, but this place will never be home. I still feel homesick when I watch a uk tv show and can't wait untill I go back home. Unfortunately I don't know when that will be, there never seems a good time. My hubby says if we are ever going to go we should do it now because our children are 12 & 13. I know I can't regret the move here because it's where I met my man but if I was 19 again I would never have moved. The only advice I can give would be to look at your situation at the moment and if you have a good life, don't change it. I came here with my Parents, sisters and a friend. They have all moved away for many reasons like the heat, or missed the uk, and now I feel I have no connection to perth. Sorry if this seems like a sob story , sometimes moving just isn't for the best. But good luck if you do, I know as many people who love it here as I do loathe it.
Old May 19th 2009, 1:15 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

hello tinamichelle,
welcome to BE - I reckon that you should start your own thread, just copy and paste the same post. Your post might get a bit swallowed up if you leave it in this thread. There are a lot of people on here who will help you think through your situation and they will give you some ideas on how to move forward.

cheers
Old May 19th 2009, 1:18 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kapri
Hi folks

I spent 2 years researching Australia and was almost at the end of the visa apllication when family circumstances meant I had to drop it. My OH told me he was relieved, that he hadn't really wanted to go at all.
He is quite right when he says it would be financial madness. Although, as a nurse, I would be fine for work his job doesn't transfer and he would have to pick up unskilled work or spend at least 2 years retraining. i would also have to take a step back in my career.
Despite all this I can't stop thinking about going. I feel that even if we ended up coming back at least we would have had the experience. He is adamant that it would leave us broke (it would!)and therefore is a risk not worth taking.
I think I'm mad for still thinking about Australia ....but I can't help it
As people who have emigrated then returned what are your thoughts?
hello Kapri - I reckon you should have a read of some of comet555's posts, perhaps you will have the opportunity at some point in the future, to make a short term move abroad. This might satisfy your wanderlust and your husband might be open to the idea too.
cheers

ps - I am a bit surprised that your thread seems to have been taken over by the Pauline Hanson mob.
Old May 19th 2009, 2:48 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
hello Kapri - I reckon you should have a read of some of comet555's posts, perhaps you will have the opportunity at some point in the future, to make a short term move abroad. This might satisfy your wanderlust and your husband might be open to the idea too.
cheers

ps - I am a bit surprised that your thread seems to have been taken over by the Pauline Hanson mob.
Could someone explain this term for the benefit of the culturally-deprived (me)?
Old May 20th 2009, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tinamichelle
I've regretted moving to Perth for 19 years. I have a good life , married a great man, have 2 great kids and a swimming pool, but this place will never be home. I still feel homesick when I watch a uk tv show and can't wait untill I go back home. Unfortunately I don't know when that will be, there never seems a good time. My hubby says if we are ever going to go we should do it now because our children are 12 & 13. I know I can't regret the move here because it's where I met my man but if I was 19 again I would never have moved. The only advice I can give would be to look at your situation at the moment and if you have a good life, don't change it. I came here with my Parents, sisters and a friend. They have all moved away for many reasons like the heat, or missed the uk, and now I feel I have no connection to perth. Sorry if this seems like a sob story , sometimes moving just isn't for the best. But good luck if you do, I know as many people who love it here as I do loathe it.
Hi tinamichelle,

Welcome to BE. you will get lots of support here.

asprilla is right, post a new thread and more people will see it.
Old May 20th 2009, 1:57 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Could someone explain this term for the benefit of the culturally-deprived (me)?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauline_Hanson
Old May 20th 2009, 2:31 am
Just Joined

tinamichelle has a brilliant futuretinamichelle has a brilliant futuretinamichelle has a brilliant futuretinamichelle has a brilliant futuretinamichelle has a brilliant futuretinamichelle has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by asprilla
hello tinamichelle,
welcome to BE - I reckon that you should start your own thread, just copy and paste the same post. Your post might get a bit swallowed up if you leave it in this thread. There are a lot of people on here who will help you think through your situation and they will give you some ideas on how to move forward.

cheers
Thanks asprilla,
I think I came to this site to see if others have spent half their life here and half their life in England and still want to return (even if people tell me I'm crazy).
I met a plumber from London a fews weeks ago and he had tears in his eyes when he told me how he missed the uk.
All he wanted was a good pub and some british sence of humour.
Since meeting this man and hearing that his kids are so happy he now can't leave, I'm even more miserable. I know what I want (life in england ) but it just seems to be too hard to achieve. I've no idea how to post my own thread but will try.

kind regard
Old May 20th 2009, 2:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by stm1971
Hi tinamichelle,

Welcome to BE. you will get lots of support here.

asprilla is right, post a new thread and more people will see it.
Hi stm1971,
I don't know how to post a thread but will try.

Kind Regards
Old May 20th 2009, 3:03 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks asprilla,
I think I came to this site to see if others have spent half their life here and half their life in England and still want to return (even if people tell me I'm crazy).
I met a plumber from London a fews weeks ago and he had tears in his eyes when he told me how he missed the uk.
Since meeting this man and hearing that his kids are so happy he now can't leave, I'm even more miserable. I know what I want (life in england ) but it just seems to be too hard to achieve. I've no idea how to post my own thread but will try.

kind regard
Hi TinaM,

We have been here for 11 years now (in Perth) and we also have had a "good" life here....but and there is the but...it has never felt like home to us...no matter how hard we have tried and boy oh boy have we tried....I think one of the reasons we made the decision for us to return home was on our last visit home....we all really did have a fantastic time (as you can do when you are on holiday) but when our youngest cried in the taxi going to the airport for our return to Perth (even with a wonderful temping stop off in Dubai for a week to make it easier on all of us)....we just thought then that it was just not worth trying to make Aus home for us anymore....I think it would of been easier to make that decision if we really did not like Aus, at that same time like you we had met someone who has lived here for years but still classed the U.K as home and said "I'm stuck here and that is a thought that makes me not sleep so well at nights"....we never wanted to get to that stage...good luck and our children will be 18 and 16 when we will return and they cannot wait....

Take care.
Old May 20th 2009, 4:25 am
Just Joined

Hi brits1,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I feel like i'm stuck here, but how much longer do I stick it out for? . Its good that you have made the decision to go now and not spend half of your life like me , wondering where you belong. I moved here at 19 and remember the feelings of dread at leaving my life behind, so its nice to know your kids are happy to be returning. I think my kids would be ok but my daughter doesn't want to go untill she leaves school and that is a worry.
People in the uk tell me I should stay away and that I'm lucky to be here when thousands would love to be in my shoes, but having a "good" life isn't quite the same as having a contented one.
I think the best day of my life will be my return home.

I'm feeling happier today
Old May 20th 2009, 8:13 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Hi stm1971,
I don't know how to post a thread but will try.

Kind Regards
If you go into the relevant Forum (say, Rovers return), look towards the top left for a button that says "New Thread" and click on it.
Old May 20th 2009, 8:35 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

19 years is a long time to feel hemmed into a life that you regret. Have you ever been to see anyone to see if you can reconcile how you feel with the reality of where you're living? I might be guessing but if you're happy with your husband and children, is there something else going on that you're not at peace with?
Old May 20th 2009, 12:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks asprilla,

kind regard
Yup - half of my life here and half there and I belong there, no doubts at all but, now pretty much beyond the point of no return with a husband who is an Aussie and who wont move.

It's actually very common to meet people who have been here 20+ years who say they regret not going back when they could have and how they stuck it out for the kids. Some are looking forward to an isolated old age as their kids have gone back home for the buzz!

Nothing crazy about you!
Old May 20th 2009, 3:06 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cricket1
19 years is a long time to feel hemmed into a life that you regret. Have you ever been to see anyone to see if you can reconcile how you feel with the reality of where you're living? I might be guessing but if you're happy with your husband and children, is there something else going on that you're not at peace with?
It could be my age or that my mum has cancer but I feel depressed at the thought of dying and being left here buried in some grave yard and my family going back to England without me!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.