Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

To those who have moved back, whats it really like ?

To those who have moved back, whats it really like ?

Old Apr 25th 2011, 5:17 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To those who have moved back, whats it really like ?

Originally Posted by crusheduk
Any one who has been away for 5+ years notice how many Polish/Turkish workers we have now in the hospitality sector. Cheap labour. You wil lthe lifestyle of the average worknig class person has taken a huge nose dive. I do not think it's gonig to get any better.
But you've told us in the past that these people are only coming to the UK to get benefits and a free house. In fact, you said it again in this post. How can they be living high on the hog courtesy of the UK taxpayer and also working at crappy jobs for minimum wage?

It's almost as if you just don't like immigrants.
Old Apr 25th 2011, 5:23 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about anyone else, but I didn't get anything that crusheduk was talking about

You can't have immigrants taking all our money on one hand and saying they are working hard earning crap wages on another.

We are immigrants in our new Countries too, and I hope they don't talk about us like that.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 10:25 am
Banned

Triumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud of

What's it really like?

Screwed up. I am tellnig the EU is crushing the existance from the UK. They tell us we have to ppen our borders and let people who have never contributed a f** dime to this place and we have to pay them £250 a wek. What other coutnry in rthe world can afford or allwo this?

So it means taxes are shooting through the roof. Cost of living is shooting through the roof. Wages are not rising in line. I mean petrol has almost doubled in the past 5 years......stealth tax. And our services are being decimated. Local libraries are shuting down left right and center. MUCH longer ques now with NHS etc.

Please do think I am being negative. It's like watching a former champion trying to make comeback but you know they have no chance. The worknig clas in the UK are gettign screwed to death now. I mean you'l lwork your backside off to get most of it taken away in bills and taxes for a tiny cramped little house. Wha'ts the point?

Any one who has been away for 5+ years notice how many Polish/Turkish workers we have now in the hospitality sector. Cheap labour. You wil lthe lifestyle of the average worknig class person has taken a huge nose dive. I do not think it's gonig to get any better.

It stil lhas some good points and good areas. If you are wealthy/ good high paying job then the UK is ok. If not, keep out your lifestyle is going to sh***!
While I agree with some of your sentiments, I do think you are a little negative and hypocritical. In one post you say people's lifestyle is going down then in the next you complain you can't get to the beach because they're full of people (obviously not affected by this ever decreasing lifestyle). Petrol prices have risen mainly because of oil price but you probably knew that but as you point out, it still hasn't affected people getting to the beach. Things are going up in price, that always happens but can you name a country where things are going down in price? I haven't seen ANY libraries around me shut but maybe you've read about it in the Daily Mail? I've also recently been to a newish hospital and it was great, I had to go to the nearest city because the brand new one they're building in my town isn't quite finished yet. By the way, we have a minimum wage in this country now so foreign labour is still paid the minimum wage but again, you probably knew that. And again, you complain about people coming into the country living on benefits and then complain that some of them have the audacity to work. Make your mind up. The sun has been shining for a week solid now (and I know beaches near me in Norfolk that people don't know about), the wedding on Friday will be great and all the better cos your chums Brown and Blair won't be there. Life is good.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 5:03 pm
Forum Regular

crusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud of

Didn't say "all" at all. But even at 70% that's one hell of a lot burdening out tax system. And we have the most ludricous benefits system in the wordl. Why else do we have thousnads queing up at Calais by-passing France/Germany/Hoolland etc all getting in to "the land of milk and honey" UK. FACTS!

But you've told us in the past that these people are only coming to the UK to get benefits and a free house. In fact, you said it again in this post. How can they be living high on the hog courtesy of the UK taxpayer and also working at crappy jobs for minimum wage?
you can make as much fun as you want at my views...ask most Brits i think they'll agree. Come and see for your-self even.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

crusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud of

Man tha'tsd pretty poor...it's not like we can't afford to put some fuel in our cars every now and then. What does going to a beach on a bank holiday have to do with nullifying a drop in the standard of living?

In one post you say people's lifestyle is going down then in the next you complain you can't get to the beach because they're full of people (obviously not affected by this ever decreasing lifestyle)
what it simply means is say average Joe had £700 per month dispospable inocome 1 year ago..well now he has £400 as everythign and i mean everything has almost doubled and wages have remained stagnant....Got it? Thanks

Well seems many on here think the UK is just dandy...great. Cameron loves you. In fact all PM's must love you...raise taxes, vat , cut services down, skim massivley with "expesnes", allow refugeees to flood in and give them your money...and you say nothing. In fact you say everythign is great. Well done! Keep paying.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

NO,NO..not having this at all!

2 libraries in my nearest two town are merging into one.

Yes we had ourt son down to see a specialsit...6 months on still waiting told becasue of cuts the waiting list has gone from 2-3 months to 6+ months!

You are not telling the truth here.......be honest at least! Just because you have not ben affected does not mean it isn't happening on a huge scale. Newish hospital...wow...all is great.

I know every country is hurting right now.....BUT please, do not pretend the UK is flourishing when we are going through the biggest cutbacks since world war 1.

I haven't seen ANY libraries around me shut but maybe you've read about it in the Daily Mail? I've also recently been to a newish hospital and it was great,
Old Apr 27th 2011, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

oh well then don't worry about it then. You say you didn't understand what i said but then went on to remark on my views...FUNNY that!

but I didn't get anything that crusheduk was talking about
Old Apr 27th 2011, 5:22 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

what it simply means is say average Joe had £700 per month dispospable inocome 1 year ago..well now he has £400 as everythign and i mean everything has almost doubled and wages have remained stagnant....Got it? Thanks
Do you really think things are different anywhere else? Try paying $1,500 a month for health care coverage that still doesn't cover everything and have it go up 20% every year without fail.

The world suffered a huge financial crash a few years ago and most average people are feeling the effects. We're all worse off than we were. The difference seems to be that you think that's only true of the UK whereas we know it's the same everywhere else.

But no matter how bad things are here, I don't believe in whining 24x7. Maybe you should leave if you hate it so much there. You only get one life.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 5:43 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Or try paying more than 50% of your weekly wage in rent therefore having to work an extra day per week to keep your head above water.

Great Britain is not the only country with problems, it has good and bad points like any other country......

Crusheduk you seem to feel very bitter about living here, have you ever actually lived in another country?
Old Apr 27th 2011, 7:10 pm
Banned

Triumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud of

NO,NO..not having this at all!

2 libraries in my nearest two town are merging into one.

Yes we had ourt son down to see a specialsit...6 months on still waiting told becasue of cuts the waiting list has gone from 2-3 months to 6+ months!

You are not telling the truth here.......be honest at least! Just because you have not ben affected does not mean it isn't happening on a huge scale. Newish hospital...wow...all is great.

I know every country is hurting right now.....BUT please, do not pretend the UK is flourishing when we are going through the biggest cutbacks since world war 1.
I am telling the truth. It hasn't happened to me. It hasn't happened to anybody I know. Conversely, just because it's happening to you, doesn't mean it's happening to everybody. I never said it was flourishing, just that it's not as bad as the moaners make out. I contract for the NHS, of the 100s of people I've had contact with, not one has lost their job. Do you really think somebody moving down a waiting list is a sign of a recession and that it's never happened before, even in the boom times? Two libraries in one town, good on them for merging them, it will save on council tax which hasn't risen this year. And if you do live in a crappy part of the UK, either try a different part or a different country but get your child seen to first cos you won't get it free anywhere else.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triumph3
I am telling the truth. It hasn't happened to me. It hasn't happened to anybody I know. Conversely, just because it's happening to you, doesn't mean it's happening to everybody. I never said it was flourishing, just that it's not as bad as the moaners make out. I contract for the NHS, of the 100s of people I've had contact with, not one has lost their job. Do you really think somebody moving down a waiting list is a sign of a recession and that it's never happened before, even in the boom times? Two libraries in one town, good on them for merging them, it will save on council tax which hasn't risen this year. And if you do live in a crappy part of the UK, either try a different part or a different country but get your child seen to first cos you won't get it free anywhere else.
To be honest, I watched a program on one of the iPlayers about places like Tesco closing down all the small shops and one library was about to close as well. I think it was in Somerset. I don't know to what degree it is happening but it has happened in certain parts.

Also, some of the local theatres were in trouble because local government cancelled funding.

It's sad to see this happening but I don't think it comes as much of a shock to see it happening. It's a real shame.

It still won't stop me going home, though

Last edited by windsong; Apr 27th 2011 at 7:16 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Man tha'tsd pretty poor...it's not like we can't afford to put some fuel in our cars every now and then. What does going to a beach on a bank holiday have to do with nullifying a drop in the standard of living?

Well seems many on here think the UK is just dandy...great. Cameron loves you. In fact all PM's must love you...raise taxes, vat , cut services down, skim massivley with "expesnes", allow refugeees to flood in and give them your money...and you say nothing. In fact you say everythign is great. Well done! Keep paying.
Which country are you thinking of moving to?
Old Apr 27th 2011, 7:44 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

oh well then don't worry about it then. You say you didn't understand what i said but then went on to remark on my views...FUNNY that!
See you on here in a couple of years...when you are MBTTUK!!!
Old Apr 27th 2011, 10:54 pm
Wub
Forum Regular

Wub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to beholdWub is a splendid one to behold

I'm sorry you're feeling so upset crusheduk and I know that many people are struggling back home - friends and family tell me that its very tough if you're out of work or under the threat of redundancy.

Its always been that way.

Thing is though, most people not in the above categories do have a disposable income despite all the cutbacks and belt tightening.

Whether its 700 or 400 quid a month, its still a disposable income.

You can still go to the beach, run that car, plan holidays and enjoy a standard of living 80% of the world's population can only dream about. They will never have what you have, sadly.

Count your blessings.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of lightStu Ward is a glorious beacon of light

Looks like I started a wildfire here !!

I don't want to diss down the UK, I just wanted to know how things have changed with respect to the new austerity measures that were not in place when we left.

Our life here in Aus gives us far more disposable income than when we were in the UK, and if we moved back to the UK i think my income would be roughly the same as when i left in 2008.

Therefore irrespective of what that income is ( for personal reasons it will not be disclosed ) I just wanted to know how far things have deteriorated

Stu

Last edited by Stu Ward; Apr 27th 2011 at 11:38 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.