Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

To those who have moved back, whats it really like ?

To those who have moved back, whats it really like ?

Old May 13th 2011, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: To those who have moved back, whats it really like ?

Originally Posted by brizzle
I think that there appears to be an entreprenurial spirit in Canada, because so many people have their own businesses or talk about starting one. Many of these seem to be small one man band type operations and people do this because in many areas, particularly outside of major centres, job opportunities (or at least varied, interesting, well paid jobs) are dire. So it appears to be a question of job creation for oneself rather than an entreprenurial spirit.

Certainly the bureaucracy and sheer size of the country in comparison to size of the economy doesn't lend itself to innovation. Anything that does appear and shows promise is soon gobbled up by some entity down south, which is most Canadian entrepreneur's dream in reality.
Good points brizzle.

Well, I think we have well and truly hijacked Stu's original thread, and I take my share of the responsibility in this. Anyone want to start an Entrepreneurial thread?
Old May 13th 2011, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

brizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to beholdbrizzle is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bandrui
Good points brizzle.

Well, I think we have well and truly hijacked Stu's original thread, and I take my share of the responsibility in this. Anyone want to start an Entrepreneurial thread?
The olde chestnut of thread drift. Still, I'm going back to the UK in a few weeks (just a visit mind). I shall report my findings upon my return. That's my effort of getting the thread back on track.
Old May 14th 2011, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brizzle
The olde chestnut of thread drift. Still, I'm going back to the UK in a few weeks (just a visit mind). I shall report my findings upon my return. That's my effort of getting the thread back on track.
There you go.
Old May 14th 2011, 6:08 am
BE Enthusiast

canadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to beholdcanadian_critic is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bandrui
Oh, and I meant to add, I did my own incorporation in Vancouver. It cost me $350 and I did a company name search at the law courts for $35. It was all very quick.
When did you do that? I checked into this a few years ago and was horrified at the expense. I cannot remember the exact figure but mine equated to what you could get in UK for £30 or so, but was up near a grand, certainly not as low as yours was. Even still you're talking about $400 which is a hell of a lot more than thirty quid.