Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

For Those Looking for Spouse Visas To UK

For Those Looking for Spouse Visas To UK

Old Jul 4th 2007, 2:46 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default For Those Looking for Spouse Visas To UK

Hi guys

Following on from the thread i made last week, i have just found this helpful website which gives info. You might already know about it but i didnt!! It has made the funds issue a lot clearer for us and in fact, it is far less daunting than i thought.
Hope this helps.

http://www.iasuk.org/module_images/F...(Jan%2006).pdf
Old Jul 4th 2007, 3:13 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: For Those Looking for Spouse Visas To UK

I meant to add that the good news for us is that they base their criteria for adequate funds on the social security benefits system, meaning you only need to provide evidence of enough funds equivalent to what you would get on unemployment benefit.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 3:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
I meant to add that the good news for us is that they base their criteria for adequate funds on the social security benefits system, meaning you only need to provide evidence of enough funds equivalent to what you would get on unemployment benefit.
You see it dont sound so bad dose it, get your finger out mate
Old Jul 4th 2007, 3:18 pm
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by britvic
You see it dont sound so bad dose it, get your finger out mate
Hello BV

I dont just want my finger out. I want my whole body out LOL
Old Jul 4th 2007, 3:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Hello BV

I dont just want my finger out. I want my whole body out LOL
I'm with you there. And hello to you FFFF
Old Jul 4th 2007, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute

This is terrible. Not about the money bit, but there is a paragraph on where talk about who can apply for a spouse visa and they state..

"where at no time any other spouse of the sponsor has lived in or entered the UK as the sponsor's spouse (subject to certain exceptions)."

I sponsored my ex-wife to come to the UK. When the marriage broke down she returned to her home country.

This sounds like I'll never be able to go live in the UK with my wife.

This is absolutely terrible. What do I do?

OMG.
Old Jul 4th 2007, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

ruthmac is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dave_Was
This is terrible. Not about the money bit, but there is a paragraph on where talk about who can apply for a spouse visa and they state..

"where at no time any other spouse of the sponsor has lived in or entered the UK as the sponsor's spouse (subject to certain exceptions)."

I sponsored my ex-wife to come to the UK. When the marriage broke down she returned to her home country.

This sounds like I'll never be able to go live in the UK with my wife.

This is absolutely terrible. What do I do?

OMG.
Don't panic!! "other spouse" here means other current spouse! ie someone with more than one wife can only bring one of them to the UK! So as long as you're divorced from your first wife and have the relevant documents (decree absolute?? or whatever it's called), you'll be OK

Check out the UKVisas website for more info and guidance: http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Fr...=1018721067257
Old Jul 5th 2007, 5:46 am
I don't give a damn

Something dawned on me this afternoon. My husband rang the British high commision advice line intially at an extortianate cost of $2.50 a minute ( i think that was the charge) to get info about the funds we need and a couple of other things. He was told they couldnt give a definitive answer as to how much we would need, yet this registered charitable organisation i listed above manages to give the exact info free of charge!!
Bit rich if you ask me!!
Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:12 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this link, it's got some good info.

One question I had.....it says that if you and your spouse have lived together for 4 years prior to the foreign spouse moving to the UK, they are immediately granted Indefinite Leave to Remain. Does this mean living together anywhere in the world, ie, US? If so, that's good. By the time I go back, if my hubby does come with me, we won't have to worry about shelling out more money for this later as we'd have been living together for 5 years.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

ruthmac is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by katesbackagain
Thanks for this link, it's got some good info.

One question I had.....it says that if you and your spouse have lived together for 4 years prior to the foreign spouse moving to the UK, they are immediately granted Indefinite Leave to Remain. Does this mean living together anywhere in the world, ie, US? If so, that's good. By the time I go back, if my hubby does come with me, we won't have to worry about shelling out more money for this later as we'd have been living together for 5 years.
Think that bit of info's out date. Your spouse needs to pass the life in the UK test to get ILR or indefinite leave to remain (since April 2007) and that can only be done in the UK. SO you have to shell out the money for the 2-year spouse visa, take the test (34 quid), then apply for ILR, which costs 750 by post and 950 in person. But because you've been married for more than 4 yrs, he can apply for ILR as soon as he passes the test. For the most up to date (and accurate) info, check out the UKvisas website.

ruth
Old Jul 5th 2007, 1:38 pm
Former Floridian

katesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond reputekatesbackagain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ruthmac
Think that bit of info's out date. Your spouse needs to pass the life in the UK test to get ILR or indefinite leave to remain (since April 2007) and that can only be done in the UK. SO you have to shell out the money for the 2-year spouse visa, take the test (34 quid), then apply for ILR, which costs 750 by post and 950 in person. But because you've been married for more than 4 yrs, he can apply for ILR as soon as he passes the test. For the most up to date (and accurate) info, check out the UKvisas website.

ruth
Ah, I see. So basically all that happens is that he won't need to wait the full two years, he can take the test as soon as he arrives on UK soil? Thanks for pointing it out.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ruthmac
Don't panic!! "other spouse" here means other current spouse! ie someone with more than one wife can only bring one of them to the UK! So as long as you're divorced from your first wife and have the relevant documents (decree absolute?? or whatever it's called), you'll be OK

Check out the UKVisas website for more info and guidance: http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Fr...=1018721067257
Wow - Thanks.

You have no idea some of the crazy thoughts that went through my mind.

For me I'm fast beginning to plan to go back in 5 years. This will allow me to hopefully save some money here, plan on what to do for my career, etc.

thanks again!