British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   The Ten Quid Pom Returns (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/ten-quid-pom-returns-782940/)

kampaicharger Jan 8th 2013 3:08 am

The Ten Quid Pom Returns

ecky thump and crikey......

it only seems like yesterday (March 2012) that I started giving serious thought to moving back to the UK. :eek:

Yesterday, I put my retirement papers in and will cease to attend the workplace on the 12th of April. :thumbsup:

Flying out Etihad on the 24th May (can I claim a refund of me ten quid from 1969). I will set foot on UK soil for the first time in 44 years on the 25th.

House is sold, car and bike to be sold along with what few possessions I have not already given away or gifted to others. :cool:

My first stop will be in that sub-tropical oasis with swaying palm trees and sandy beaches. Yes that's right, Lancashire. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Or maybe, I'm holding the atlas the wrong way up.

Doesn't matter I shall sally forth with a stiff upper lip and a song in my heart.

As for now, I'm packing me socks and the missus is packin' the brits (yes that's rhyming slang) either way I am looking forward to a truly excellant adventure.

quoll Jan 8th 2013 5:35 am

Re: The Ten Quid Pom Returns

Good on you! May the next step in your life adventure be truly wonderful. If you are leaving in May you probably won't need your damart thermals but do bring your mac and brolly!

slapphead_otool Jan 8th 2013 5:48 am

Originally Posted by kampaicharger (Post 10470479)
Flying out Etihad on the 24th May (can I claim a refund of me ten quid from 1969). I will set foot on UK soil for the first time in 44 years on the 25th.

WOW. That is incredible, I hope everything goes well for you. 44 years is a long time!!!!!

I would be really interested in your opinions and views when you get back.

you could just about get a movie script out of this. 44 years, by gum.....

WEBlue Jan 8th 2013 3:20 pm

I will set foot on UK soil for the first time in 44 years on the 25th....

As for now, I'm packing me socks and the missus is packin' the brits (yes that's rhyming slang) either way I am looking forward to a truly excellant adventure.

Adventure indeed!! You've truly not been back to Blighty in all the 44 years?? Could be some big changes in store for you ... Good luck!!!!

robin1234 Jan 8th 2013 4:10 pm

the missus is packin' the brits (yes that's rhyming slang)

You do know that beer is available in the UK, right??

(Britney Spears .......................... Beers)

holly_1948 Jan 8th 2013 5:00 pm

Of course, Lancashire is a lot smaller than it was in 1969. For example Warrington is now in Cheshire. I didn't think the changes were a good idea when they happened and I'm more convinced than ever that it was a mistake.

Whereabouts in Lancashire are you going? It varies enormously.

Mallory Jan 8th 2013 5:10 pm

Don't forget - no pounds, shillings and pence! :lol:

robin1234 Jan 8th 2013 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by Mallory (Post 10471819)
Don't forget - no pounds, shillings and pence! :lol:

:scaredhair: They've even retired the pounds now?? The shame!! ;)

vikingsail Jan 8th 2013 6:16 pm

That's quite incredible 44 years!. I'm just reading a book 'Jupiters Travels' about a Brit who motorcycled around the world for 3 years on a Triumph, back in 1973 on about 2000 pounds.

A lot is sure to have changed on your return money etc...

I really envy you returning in April. I want the retirement but not to have to wait.

Congratulations and hope everything is as perfect as you want it to be.

robin1234 Jan 8th 2013 6:35 pm

Yesterday, I put my retirement papers in and will cease to attend the workplace on the 12th of April. :thumbsup:

I gave notice of my retirement last week. April Fool's Day, 2013, I'm a free man. Living closer to the UK than you do, we've been taking longer trips each year to test out the waters. Hopefully we'll be spending a month or six weeks in England this April/May.

kampaicharger, keep us informed of your progress, I'll be very interested!

Mummy in the foothills Jan 8th 2013 7:26 pm

So exciting, a new year an a new crop of Ex-pats return. I need to touch a few of you all for luck. :fingerscrossed: Hope the move goes super smooth. I was in Lancaster Morcombe and Blackpool last time we visited UK, have fun.

kampaicharger Jan 8th 2013 7:53 pm

I'm from Gee Cross Cheshire and the missus is from Clayton Le Moors Lancashire, a mixed marriage if ya know wot I mean.

There at the moment, if it's not under water it's covered in snow, but then we are having substantial bushfires in OZ and temperatures of 48 plus, so not much of a choice eh.......:eek:

The plan is to buy a car and caravan and spend the first 2-3 years doing a big circle or two round Europe.

The most important thing is I have found an internet site that gives me the cost of a pint anywhere in the world (2.80 in Gee Cross and 80p in Slovakia) so I shall probably plan the "Grand Tour" around that. (just don't tell the missus).

spouse of scouse Jan 8th 2013 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by kampaicharger (Post 10472122)
I'm from Gee Cross Cheshire and the missus is from Clayton Le Moors Lancashire, a mixed marriage if ya know wot I mean.

There at the moment, if it's not under water it's covered in snow, but then we are having substantial bushfires in OZ and temperatures of 48 plus, so not much of a choice eh.......:eek:

The plan is to buy a car and caravan and spend the first 2-3 years doing a big circle or two round Europe.

The most important thing is I have found an internet site that gives me the cost of a pint anywhere in the world (2.80 in Gee Cross and 80p in Slovakia) so I shall probably plan the "Grand Tour" around that. (just don't tell the missus).

How exciting, kampaicharger! I'm another one who'll be following your return adventures, and I wish you and your trouble and strife a joyful return home. The cheaper pints are so worth it - and they actually have bubbles too :D

CAdreaming Jan 8th 2013 9:50 pm

wow good luck to you!!! please post when you get back to let us know your thoughts!!

kampaicharger Mar 4th 2013 8:07 pm

Just a quick update:

38: The number of days before I retire..:amen:

80: The number of days before I get on a plane to blighty.....:thumbsup:

81: The number of days before I am sat in the snug of the Sawley Arms eating rare roast beef with yorkshire pud and washing it down with a coupla pints of real ale.....:cool::cool:

After that, we are going to buy a car and caravan and spend a coupla years beach combing and basically driving from Manchester to Burnley via Morrocco, Crete, Bodram and St Petersburgh with a coupla thousand places in between......

And then? aaaaah whatever!! :rofl: