British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   Taking the First Step (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/taking-first-step-920597/)

DebzinUS Jan 1st 2019 2:24 pm

Taking the First Step

My USC husband died nearly five years ago. My two kids are grown and have their own lives. I miss my UK family. I have applied for a senior lecturer position with the University of Gloucestershire. The role is a one year fixed term with a pay scale 38-48k/year and 37 days vacation. The university location is perfect, an easy trip to my mum in Wales and my sister in Wiltshire. My plan is to try it out for a year, and see how it goes. I will store everything here in the US, maintain my bank, and an address. I will keep my part-time online teaching job with a US university. I also have DoD survivors benefits which will continue. I am a USC. What have I missed? Will I be ok financially? I know I have to file a US tax return each year...Is there something wrong with this plan? Am I missing anything? Thanks for any thoughts!

durham_lad Jan 3rd 2019 2:13 pm

Re: Taking the First Step

Sounds like you are in good shape, and should be able to manage just fine on that job plus your pension. Since you are coming over for at least a year you will probably need a bank account to have your pay deposited etc. You should be able to open a basic checking account once you have proof of address in England.

While sorting out your UK bank account you may find your US credit card and ATM card very convenient to use so I would ensure you get a credit card that has no foreign transaction fees.

DebzinUS Jan 4th 2019 1:54 am

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 12615706)
Sounds like you are in good shape, and should be able to manage just fine on that job plus your pension. Since you are coming over for at least a year you will probably need a bank account to have your pay deposited etc. You should be able to open a basic checking account once you have proof of address in England.

While sorting out your UK bank account you may find your US credit card and ATM card very convenient to use so I would ensure you get a credit card that has no foreign transaction fees.

Thanks! I have USAA checking and CC and no transaction fees. I use both every time I am over, without a problem. Thanks again!

durham_lad Jan 4th 2019 8:04 am

Originally Posted by DebzinUS (Post 12616011)
Thanks! I have USAA checking and CC and no transaction fees. I use both every time I am over, without a problem. Thanks again!

perfect!!

You are locked and loaded and ready to go.

DebzinUS Jan 5th 2019 1:07 am

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 12616083)

perfect!!

You are locked and loaded and ready to go.

Now I just need the job!

Mallory Jan 14th 2019 2:00 am

Originally Posted by DebzinUS (Post 12616397)
Now I just need the job!

Make sure you have an up-to-date UK passport.

between two worlds Feb 4th 2019 7:23 am

Any update, DebzinUs? When are you supposed to hear about the job?

DebzinUS Feb 5th 2019 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by between two worlds (Post 12632079)
Any update, DebzinUs? When are you supposed to hear about the job?

Thanks for asking! A couple of weeks ago on a Tuesday morning, I received an e-mail that said I have been shortlisted for the position.and invited me for a 90 minute interview. Unfortunately, the interview was scheduled for Friday morning that same week. The cost of the flight the next day (Wednesday night) from Atlanta, was cost prohibitive. I asked for a Skype interview but that was denied. So this position wasn't the one, but I am heartened to know that I was shortlisted...Maybe next time!

between two worlds Feb 11th 2019 11:30 am

Oh that's a shame! Good luck for another position.