Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Summer walking in the Peak District - advice

Summer walking in the Peak District - advice

Old Mar 7th 2016, 8:19 am
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Summer walking in the Peak District - advice

Good Morning,

A small group of friends (including me) are planning a 4/5 day walking holiday in the Peak District at the beginning of July.

We are all in our late 50's, reasonably fit and, to cater for everybody, likely to want to do moderate difficulty walking lasting around 2 to 4 hours each day.

We have all heard great things about the area, but have limited knowledge.

The questions are:
1. Can anyone recommend a general walking area/s?
2. Can anybody recommend any specific walks?
3. Can anyone recommend a good town/place to have as a base?
4. We are thinking of renting a cottage or similar. Any recommended sites or companies?
5. Any other information you feel might be helpful? other sights/places to visit in the area?

Any advice greatly received, Thank You
Old Mar 7th 2016, 11:06 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Summer walking in the Peak District - advice

You are going to have to choose which part of the Peak District to visit, because it is too big an area to walk in five days. I'm only familiar with the southern end, known as the White Peak, because I used to live on its edge.

The Manifold Way is easy walking, since it follows the route of an old railway line. I'd recommend it, but there are several other trails through the area. I suggest getting some guidebooks and doing some research before deciding which suits you best.

Where you want to stay will depend on where you are going to be doing your walking. Ashbourne is a popular base for holiday makers. Bakewell, Buxton, Hartington, Longnor or Leek are other possibilities. They are all charming.

Parts of the White Peak have literary associations. If any of your party have read Gawain and the Green Knight there are two contenders for the chapel of the green knight: Lud's Church, and Wetton Mill (I prefer Wetton). If any are fans of the children's writer Alan Garner, it is possible to walk the route from Wenlock Edge to Mam Tor, taken by the children in the Weirdstone of Brisingamen.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 11:57 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Visit Chatsworth and Haddon Hall.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 12:42 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I used to live a couple of miles fom Matlock Bath.

I would recommend the 'White Peak' as well. Most of the walking in the 'Dark Peak' is pretty strenuous and can be dangerous at times especially on places like Bleaklow and Kinder Scout.......not really for the unfit or inexperienced.

The White peak has several old railway trails which are fairly easy walking and go through some spectacular scenery. The is also a nice walk around Carsington Water which can take 2 or 3 hours depending on how fast you want to go.....also a few nice Pub diversions

Ashbourne is a nice place to stay as is Matlock or Bakewell. There are also several hotels, B&Bs and self catering accommodation throughout the area.

Makes me feel 'homesick' as we have moved back to Cambridgeshire.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 1:05 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Makes me feel 'homesick' as we have moved back to Cambridgeshire.
Me too, even though I love living in Devon. The White Peak is really special. We had many happy days walking there.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 2:59 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Victor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond reputeVictor Meldrew has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your help Editha. 2 of the party are travelling from Birmingham, 1 from Plymouth and 1 from Glasgow so probably South Peaks best.

The White Peak area sounds like it is best and the Manifold Valley rings a few bells, Railway track routes also sound a good idea.

I probably need to get back to the others to ascertain the kind of terrain they want to cover. We all have previous experience of some fairly difficult walks from the distant past (ScaFell, Snowdon, Ben Nevis and similar).

Do you have a recommended town/s to stay in if we were to do the White Peaks?
Old Mar 7th 2016, 3:13 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

It depends which walks you decide to do. The Tissington trail starts at Ashbourne, so that's one option. The Manifold trail goes through Hartington, and so on, and of course there are cottages to rent all over. I'd decide where to walk, then where to stay. All the towns and villages in the area are pleasant to stay in. Cromford is right on the edge of the area, but it has, what is in many people's opinion, the world's best second-hand bookshop.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 3:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Visit Chatsworth .....
A thorough exploration of the gardens, which is very well worth it, never mind a tour of the house, would take one of the "2-4 hours walking" days.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 3:47 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by Pulaski
A thorough exploration of the gardens, which is very well worth it, never mind a tour of the house, would take one of the "2-4 hours walking" days.
Agreed, but as you say, well worth it.
Old Mar 7th 2016, 6:40 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Thanks also to Grayling for your advice
Old Mar 12th 2016, 1:11 pm
Confirmed grumpy old man

Just booked the accommodation - Artists Cottage in Matlock, great deal £330 for 3 bedroomed cottage 4 nights/5 days in July.

Now moving on to look at some walks/walking areas. Tony Robinson was on TV in a programme called 'Walking through history' where he did an industrial heritage walk around the Matlock area, so that is one day done.

I have Googled some further information and will probably do one walk which involves walking to Chatsworth, spending some time there and then returning.

Other than that, thinking perhaps Dovedale/Manifold Valley and that area.

Of course, we may also need 1 day rest!
Old Mar 12th 2016, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

The best spots to visit in The Peak District in Derbyshire | Activity Holidays | Travel | Daily Express
Old Mar 12th 2016, 4:52 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew
Just booked the accommodation - Artists Cottage in Matlock, great deal £330 for 3 bedroomed cottage 4 nights/5 days in July.

Now moving on to look at some walks/walking areas. Tony Robinson was on TV in a programme called 'Walking through history' where he did an industrial heritage walk around the Matlock area, so that is one day done.

I have Googled some further information and will probably do one walk which involves walking to Chatsworth, spending some time there and then returning.

Other than that, thinking perhaps Dovedale/Manifold Valley and that area.

Of course, we may also need 1 day rest!
Sounds good. Enjoy!
Old Mar 12th 2016, 6:14 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Visit Chatsworth and Haddon Hall.
I am looking forward to visiting these houses again when i get back, really beautiful
Old Mar 12th 2016, 6:47 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Kinder Scout is history for English access, being the destination of the Mass Trespass. plus a wonderful peat landscape, especially if it is dry, when it reminds me of the skin scratched off a skull. (the peat has been eroded to rock in many places. Kinder Downfall can be good if it is not dry. Dont go on Kinder Scout if you are not good with navigation and the clouds are down or likely to come down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.