British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Rovers Return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/)
-   -   State Retirement Pension (https://britishexpats.com/forum/rovers-return-111/state-retirement-pension-937693/)

scrubbedexpat142 May 22nd 2021 5:04 pm

Re: State Retirement Pension

[QUOTE=dougal03;13009272]International DWP is the most incompetent part.../QUOTE]

You are absolutely right, it is an absolute disgrace.

mikelincs May 22nd 2021 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by Helen1964 (Post 12985499)
I thought tax paid for the NHS.

It does, National Insurance is for your pension, NHS spending comes out of you taxes.

Chriscro May 22nd 2021 8:55 pm

& actually wrote a letter to Theresa Coffey,head of DWP,to ask for an explanation since this was an Entitlement,not a Welfare payment ![/QUOTE]

This is the important part, your only entitled to the pension if you paid the relevant fees upfront.
I’m quite confident DWP are not picking on me, so how many other people are they not paying that claimed within their 4 Month prior rule ?

Also, I’m wondering if this is only a ‘problem’ for ex pats, since if U.K. residents were not receiving their pensions I’m sure there would be an outcry, is this discrimination ?

scrubbedexpat142 May 22nd 2021 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by Chriscro (Post 13009343)

Also, I’m wondering if this is only a ‘problem’ for ex pats, since if U.K. residents were not receiving their pensions I’m sure there would be an outcry, is this discrimination ?

It is only a problem for expats.

dougal03 May 23rd 2021 10:50 am

It does seem that ex-pats.have a big problem dealing with the DWP as ,in my case, spent some time in the RAF & later self-employed always contributions up to date & never had any extra welfare benefit paid to me so there was no reason to stop paying me.However also, I believe that there is an on-going debacle concerning older ladies in UK who have not been granted the correct amounts owed to them via their spouses contributions.I think this anomaly was highlighted in a Martin Lewis TV programme.My much younger sibling has just applied for her pension so perhaps I should keep her informed of your comments as it is helpful.

scrubbedexpat142 Jun 8th 2021 5:13 pm

So true

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...23c937abb2.jpg

Chriscro Jun 8th 2021 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 13015475)

:D
& in the case of DWP they hope we expire before they answer the call !

scrubbedexpat142 Jun 8th 2021 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Chriscro (Post 13015476)
:D
& in the case of DWP they hope we expire before they answer the call !

And as the Government keeps jacking up the retirement age they know that they are onto a sure fire winner! And, of course when there's no one left (other than early retiring civil servants) to claim the pension there will still be just as many administrators - and calls will still take as long to get through!

Chriscro Jul 21st 2021 1:42 pm

As an update, DWP finally paid my pension, over 4 Months late, took 3 phone calls & the online form to get them to do something. And payments to Croatia are made via Citi Bank in USA & the transfer takes 8 working days !

8 Months from start to finish, International DWP are terrible :britflag:

scrubbedexpat142 Jul 21st 2021 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Chriscro (Post 13031641)
As an update, DWP finally paid my pension, over 4 Months late, took 3 phone calls & the online form to get them to do something. And payments to Croatia are made via Citi Bank in USA & the transfer takes 8 working days !

Tried to claim your S1 yet?

Chriscro Jul 21st 2021 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Expatrick (Post 13031653)
Tried to claim your S1 yet?

No, gone private

mikemike Aug 3rd 2021 5:48 am

Originally Posted by Chriscro (Post 13031641)

live in one of the currently approved countries overseas for receipt of index linked pensions. What amount are the fees I need to pay, if any, and how far in advance must they be paid.

Chriscro Aug 3rd 2021 7:32 am

Originally Posted by mikemike (Post 13036401)
live in one of the currently approved countries overseas for receipt of index linked pensions. What amount are the fees I need to pay, if any, and how far in advance must they be paid.

There are no fees, it’s just the problem that it is all taking so long, you can only apply for your pension 4 Months before it’s due but their backlog is 7- 8 Months currently.
First thing to do is obtain a pension forecast from them to ensure you paid enough years for the full pension.
They will pay you in the currency of the Country your in, unless you opt for a U.K. account but that might have tax implications

mikelincs Aug 3rd 2021 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Chriscro (Post 13036419)
There are no fees, it’s just the problem that it is all taking so long, you can only apply for your pension 4 Months before it’s due but their backlog is 7- 8 Months currently.
First thing to do is obtain a pension forecast from them to ensure you paid enough years for the full pension.
They will pay you in the currency of the Country your in, unless you opt for a U.K. account but that might have tax implications

Best way is to tell the DWP to pay your pension direct to your bank in the country you live in, you get a better rate and. usually, get the pension on the date you would have in the UK, at least that was true about pensions to Spain in 2004 when my wife had her pension paid direct to our Spanish account. You got a better rate that you would having it paid into a UK account and using a transfer company. Thankfully there were no delays getting it paid as we were well before Brexit raised it's ugly head.

Chriscro Aug 3rd 2021 9:28 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 13036427)
Best way is to tell the DWP to pay your pension direct to your bank in the country you live in, you get a better rate and. usually, get the pension on the date you would have in the UK, at least that was true about pensions to Spain in 2004 when my wife had her pension paid direct to our Spanish account. You got a better rate that you would having it paid into a UK account and using a transfer company. Thankfully there were no delays getting it paid as we were well before Brexit raised it's ugly head.

Yes, the rate to Croatia was good & at least as good as I would have obtained.
UK payments take 5 working days & EU payments take 8 working days, that’s down to their payment processing systems.