So happy to be home

Old Jan 12th 2012, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

marietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nice
Default Re: So happy to be home

& can you all shush with the food talk The kitchen fitters are putting new worktops in and I can't get into the kitchen to eat I've only had a packet of 'Frazzles' all day
Old Jan 12th 2012, 2:25 pm
Living in the Truman Show

gillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by marietuluse
That's so true

The other thing for us was the cost of kid's activities.
Our daughter has done athletics since the age of 8, represented the county at the age of 10 and 12 in long jump and sprinting and ranked in the top 10 in the UK at various times.
She joined a 'track & Field' club in Red Deer and it was nowhere near the standard of English clubs and the cost was unbelievable
Now don't get me wrong, I'm knocking the club, they were a great bunch of people and she made some life-long friends there and had a good experience with them at competitions, training and social events.
But it was more of a fun club for younger kids and because it was so expensive, it was a small club.

This is what we paid there compared to here:
Yearly fee to join club -Canada $500.00.........UK: 39pounds (inc UKA membership)
Competitions - Canada: 1 day event $25, 2 day event $50 (Max 4 events) ........UK: 2.50 per event entered
Club tracksuit - Canada: $90 + $50 to 'loan' a club vest.........UK: 15 pound to buy a club vest, 25 pound for club tracksuit.
and then of course you have the cost of spikes, trainers and the massive distances to get to competitions to factor in.

Here, I think because it's a fairly cheap sport to get into it's available to all kids, you don't have to pay a fortune to be an athlete here lol

And again, this isn't putting Canada down as a country for us as a family into the athletics it was just another thing that made us miss the UK
Hi I have mentioned this a few times on posts. Our kids did so much in the UK and don't do a great deal here. They were both swimmers in the UK, our son swam internationally at comps in Germany, France, Portugal as well as nationally. It cost us around 500 pounds per year for them both, for their training and all comp fees (transport etc was provided by the club free). Any international events were subbed by the club and cost us around 100 pounds. Here we have a cost of $5000 for them both just for the training, then on top of that each comp, each individual swim, everything we have to pay for, so including national comps with air fares, accommodation etc takes it upto about $10,000 per year? Who can afford that. Also they are both musicians and do other sports including golf, rugby, tennis etc and daughter does dance. We've totalled it all to do it over and its coming in at around $20,000+ mark. So for us Canada just can't offer the same opportunities for our two. They desperately want to get back to their music especially bands, orchestras etc etc without it costing us an arm and a leg (40 pound per term back in the UK for orchestra and band)
Old Jan 12th 2012, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

marietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nice

Originally Posted by gillyd65
Hi I have mentioned this a few times on posts. Our kids did so much in the UK and don't do a great deal here. They were both swimmers in the UK, our son swam internationally at comps in Germany, France, Portugal as well as nationally. It cost us around 500 pounds per year for them both, for their training and all comp fees (transport etc was provided by the club free). Any international events were subbed by the club and cost us around 100 pounds. Here we have a cost of $5000 for them both just for the training, then on top of that each comp, each individual swim, everything we have to pay for, so including national comps with air fares, accommodation etc takes it upto about $10,000 per year? Who can afford that. Also they are both musicians and do other sports including golf, rugby, tennis etc and daughter does dance. We've totalled it all to do it over and its coming in at around $20,000+ mark. So for us Canada just can't offer the same opportunities for our two. They desperately want to get back to their music especially bands, orchestras etc etc without it costing us an arm and a leg (40 pound per term back in the UK for orchestra and band)
and I thought athletics was expensive!
Old Jan 12th 2012, 2:31 pm

gillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by marietuluse
and I thought athletics was expensive!
swimming, what do you need - a pair of trunks/swim costume, goggles and a swim cap. Can't imagine how ice hockey players go on!
Old Jan 12th 2012, 2:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gillyd65
swimming, what do you need - a pair of trunks/swim costume, goggles and a swim cap. Can't imagine how ice hockey players go on!
That must be expensive, I would imagine with all the gear and lessons.....but surely the ice is free and readily available during winter
Old Jan 12th 2012, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

LucyLovelock is an unknown quantity at this point

Lol at haggis and delish being in the same sentence!!!
I tried it one NYE before the age of drinking!!

I guess see this is where maybe I am lucky, having had my kids out here I have nothing to compare to, so dance for them is I think $350 each for the year, so works out about $10 a week for a half hour lesson.
I have been warned to start saving now for if they want to get into competitive dancing as that can get pricey!!
Xxxx
Old Jan 12th 2012, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

Bar66949 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am hoping that I will will be able to rent even from a private landlord and then get social housing. Not sure of the waiting time for social or council housing for a one bedroom flat.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by LucyLovelock
Lol at haggis and delish being in the same sentence!!!
I tried it one NYE before the age of drinking!!

I guess see this is where maybe I am lucky, having had my kids out here I have nothing to compare to, so dance for them is I think $350 each for the year, so works out about $10 a week for a half hour lesson.
I have been warned to start saving now for if they want to get into competitive dancing as that can get pricey!!
Xxxx
I guess sometimes it better not knowing?
Old Jan 12th 2012, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bar66949
I am hoping that I will will be able to rent even from a private landlord and then get social housing. Not sure of the waiting time for social or council housing for a one bedroom flat.
Hi there,

I think you may get more advice and help if you start a new thread with a specific question in the 'Moving back to the UK' section as more people will read it and hopefully have some advice for you.
Good Luck
Old Jan 12th 2012, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

Bar66949 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you will try that and in over 50's.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Have you been to the farm shop at Sizergh? Forgotten the name of it, but the cheese and eggs we got there were amazing!
I went to one the other week sally........it sells alsorts of fresh veg/cheeses/breads and has a cafe up stairs too.It was on the top road on the way to Sizergh.It was lovely.....and while you are having a fresh scone with jam and clotted cream you can see the cows getting brushed in the barn by an electronic brush!!!!!! lol never seen any thing so funny.