So happy to be home

Old Jan 12th 2012, 3:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: So happy to be home

Originally Posted by marietuluse
You certainly can be in our gang......oohh that's sounding a bit like a Gary Glitter song ......that's not good

Good luck with you're move, where are you planning to move back to?
Likely 2014 - feels like a very long time

We decided to get our citizenship before we do anything. Our reason for that is that we have 2 Canadian sons and I don't like the idea that we don't have the same. It also gives us 2 years to try and work our what we actually want to do. Beyond that though, we found we were missing one piece of paper needed for our citizenship application, so waiting for that to appear first. The rest of the application is sitting ready to be sent. So, add 19 months on to now, and then the fact that houses in this town only really sell well between Easter and August (by well, that can mean 'at all').

Not decided where either. Depends where hubby can get a job. I'd like north somewhere I think.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 5:12 am
BE Enthusiast

LucyLovelock is an unknown quantity at this point

Its interesting reading these posts.
I have to admit it used to get my back up, reading negative posts about Canada. I mean why wouldnt it, I love the place and its my home.
But to get my back up about someone elses opinion and feelings would be to negate those feelings, and invalidate them.
And to those posting, thats how they feel!
Home for me will always be here now, its where I had my children and where we have OUR friends. In the UK, it was either my friends in my hometown, or hubbies in his.
My hubby is the same in that he would never go back if he didnt have to visit his family.
But thats just our story, and everyone has their own unique view on life! And you only get one life, so if its not going the way you want it to, make that change!
I think its great to get all these views and opinions out there, it gives those contemplating the move lots to think about, and those that want to move back, the same thoughts.
Glad you guys are happy back in your home.
x
Old Jan 12th 2012, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Because it was in our thought process to return for a good 8 months last year - you don't know enough about me to make any comment on my situation, you only know what other people have told you about me and what I have posted on here - so get off your high horse!

Exactly - a balanced view! But returners don't like to hear anything bad about the UK. We half thought we would hit the OMG what have we done as soon as DD finished school we're coming back for good or bad that didn't happen.

I now believe my Mum when she says how much the cost of living has risen in the last 6 years.

There are lots of positives about the UK, I don't deny it, for us Alberta is better for now.
LOL!!! heard enough!!!!
Old Jan 12th 2012, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

marietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pomster
possibly to give a view from the other side? A lot of folk on here are trying to get a view of the pros and cons, so all views are helpful, surely?
I think what Cumbrian Lass meant was, if you have already gone through the process and moved back and living your life back in the UK, you are in a better position to make comparisons with the country you have just left and give accurate advice based on facts.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

marietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nicemarietuluse is just really nice

Originally Posted by LucyLovelock
Its interesting reading these posts.
I have to admit it used to get my back up, reading negative posts about Canada. I mean why wouldnt it, I love the place and its my home.
But to get my back up about someone elses opinion and feelings would be to negate those feelings, and invalidate them.
And to those posting, thats how they feel!
Home for me will always be here now, its where I had my children and where we have OUR friends. In the UK, it was either my friends in my hometown, or hubbies in his.
My hubby is the same in that he would never go back if he didnt have to visit his family.
But thats just our story, and everyone has their own unique view on life! And you only get one life, so if its not going the way you want it to, make that change!
I think its great to get all these views and opinions out there, it gives those contemplating the move lots to think about, and those that want to move back, the same thoughts.
Glad you guys are happy back in your home.
x
Thanks for your input Lu and you're right it is good to get all views and opinions out there, good and bad, if they help someone else in some way

I certainly would never say I hate Canada, I didn't hate our life whilst living in Canada, we got on just fine there and really made the most of it in the short time we were there but we knew pretty early on that it wasn't for us longterm and we could have a better lifestyle back home and I think it puts me in a good position to compare prices between the two countries and give people honest facts.

I don't think you can visit a country for a two week break, visit a couple of supermarkets in one particular area and then tell people you think groceries/clothes etc.... are expensive, bad quality and England's scummy and run down and you never want to set foot in the place again ( yes it's someone's personal opinion and they are entiltled to feel that way if they wish, but it's not an accurate one based on facts for the country as a whole) There are good and bad areas in every country in the world.
It would be like me saying the whole of Alberta is run down, boring, souless with no community spirit etc, just because that was our feelings on parts of Red Deer and I say parts because some areas of RD we loved, like Bower Ponds, Heritage Ranch.......and ALL the Tim Hortons....could just eat a canadian maple and an extra large double double right now xx
Old Jan 12th 2012, 10:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice

I think what Cumbrian Lass meant was, if you have already gone through the process and moved back and living your life back in the UK, you are in a better position to make comparisons with the country you have just left and give accurate advice based on facts.
yes thats what i did mean lol
I think where ever you are you are going to vote for that place,unless you are wanting to move back there.No one is going to say "oh i think the UK is brilliant or Canada is brilliant" when you live in the other place.........its only human!
Old Jan 12th 2012, 1:10 pm
Living in the Truman Show

gillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for your input Lu and you're right it is good to get all views and opinions out there, good and bad, if they help someone else in some way

I certainly would never say I hate Canada, I didn't hate our life whilst living in Canada, we got on just fine there and really made the most of it in the short time we were there but we knew pretty early on that it wasn't for us longterm and we could have a better lifestyle back home and I think it puts me in a good position to compare prices between the two countries and give people honest facts.

I don't think you can visit a country for a two week break, visit a couple of supermarkets in one particular area and then tell people you think groceries/clothes etc.... are expensive, bad quality and England's scummy and run down and you never want to set foot in the place again ( yes it's someone's personal opinion and they are entiltled to feel that way if they wish, but it's not an accurate one based on facts for the country as a whole) There are good and bad areas in every country in the world.
It would be like me saying the whole of Alberta is run down, boring, souless with no community spirit etc, just because that was our feelings on parts of Red Deer and I say parts because some areas of RD we loved, like Bower Ponds, Heritage Ranch.......and ALL the Tim Hortons....could just eat a canadian maple and an extra large double double right now xx
agree with you there marietuluse - we feel we can make a good judgement having left the UK only a few months ago, plus my son has just returned to Canada after being in the UK over the Christmas period. Like you we are not berating Canada, its just not how we want to live and know we were better off both financially, socially and culturally in the UK. That's our family's take on things, and ours only. Other people prioritise different things in their lives and so Canada works for them. Each to their own.....
Old Jan 12th 2012, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gillyd65
agree with you there marietuluse - we feel we can make a good judgement having left the UK only a few months ago, plus my son has just returned to Canada after being in the UK over the Christmas period. Like you we are not berating Canada, its just not how we want to live and know we were better off both financially, socially and culturally in the UK. That's our family's take on things, and ours only. Other people prioritise different things in their lives and so Canada works for them. Each to their own.....
well said gillyd65
Old Jan 12th 2012, 2:02 pm

gillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Cumbrian Lass
well said gillyd65
Hi Cumbrian Lass just wanted to know seeing that you are living in that gorgeous town of Kendal, have you tried the famous Waberthwaite sausages yet? yum, yum!
Old Jan 12th 2012, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Cumbrian Lass just wanted to know seeing that you are living in that gorgeous town of Kendal, have you tried the famous Waberthwaite sausages yet? yum, yum!
Oh yes !!!!! its delish.....is'nt it??
dont know if you have heard of "plumgarths" but they do a fantastic sausage too.It is a local farm,but they sell it in morrisons etc too. I just love some of the food here.I went to a little restaurant the other day and had haggis,mashed potatoes and a lovely mustard gravey....oh yeah and nips....yum yum
Old Jan 12th 2012, 2:09 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

dont know if you have heard of "plumgarths" but they do a fantastic sausage too.It is a local farm,but they sell it in morrisons etc too. I just love some of the food here.I went to a little restaurant the other day and had haggis,mashed potatoes and a lovely mustard gravey....oh yeah and nips....yum yum
Have you been to the farm shop at Sizergh? Forgotten the name of it, but the cheese and eggs we got there were amazing!
Old Jan 12th 2012, 2:13 pm

One recommendation, there is a pub that has its own micro brewery on the way to Bowness on Windermere, sorry can't remember the name of it or the place but its on the left hand side of the road as you drive from Kendal to Windermere. They do the best food ever, the most gorgeous sticky toffee pudding for two and of course the beer....... If the name comes to mind I'll PM you.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 2:15 pm

One recommendation, there is a pub that has its own micro brewery on the way to Bowness on Windermere, sorry can't remember the name of it or the place but its on the left hand side of the road as you drive from Kendal to Windermere. They do the best food ever, the most gorgeous sticky toffee pudding for two and of course the beer....... If the name comes to mind I'll PM you.
Watermill Inn at Ings Village defo worth a visit.
Old Jan 12th 2012, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

That's so true

The other thing for us was the cost of kid's activities.
Our daughter has done athletics since the age of 8, represented the county at the age of 10 and 12 in long jump and sprinting and ranked in the top 10 in the UK at various times.
She joined a 'track & Field' club in Red Deer and it was nowhere near the standard of English clubs and the cost was unbelievable
Now don't get me wrong, I'm knocking the club, they were a great bunch of people and she made some life-long friends there and had a good experience with them at competitions, training and social events.
But it was more of a fun club for younger kids and because it was so expensive, it was a small club.

This is what we paid there compared to here:
Yearly fee to join club -Canada $500.00.........UK: 39pounds (inc UKA membership)
Competitions - Canada: 1 day event $25, 2 day event $50 (Max 4 events) ........UK: 2.50 per event entered
Club tracksuit - Canada: $90 + $50 to 'loan' a club vest.........UK: 15 pound to buy a club vest, 25 pound for club tracksuit.
and then of course you have the cost of spikes, trainers and the massive distances to get to competitions to factor in.

Here, I think because it's a fairly cheap sport to get into it's available to all kids, you don't have to pay a fortune to be an athlete here lol

And again, this isn't putting Canada down as a country for us as a family into the athletics it was just another thing that made us miss the UK
Old Jan 12th 2012, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Have you been to the farm shop at Sizergh? Forgotten the name of it, but the cheese and eggs we got there were amazing!
is it Low Sizergh barn? from memory, think we stopped off there last year

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.