The Slow Death of the Apostrophe

Old Dec 1st 2019, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Slow Death of the Apostrophe

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/a...K5xbvnIGe_byhY

"Basic English" has triumphed. "Newspeak" has won. The Proles only need a vocabulary of 600 words.
Old Dec 1st 2019, 7:34 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Slow Death of the Apostrophe

I think one reason the apostrophe is becoming a lost cause is the autocorrect. For instance, it often inserts “your” or “you’re” seemingly randomly. That is, it doesn’t seem to be intelligent enough to choose the correct spelling according to context. It’s annoying to have to edit your postings and other text to make sure these errors haven’t crept in - but I think it must be very difficult for those who are unsure, who may not know the rules etc., and are reduced to just accepting what autocorrect gives them.

One specific thing in the article. There’s a picture of a road sign, “St Pauls Churchyard” or something. Caption says, apostrophe is missing. Well yes, but it is a national place naming standard now (I believe) to omit apostrophes from street names and other locality names, in all cases. I think it’s a sensible signage rationalization, so long as it’s done consistently.
Old Dec 1st 2019, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

And what about the hyphen? In America, they haven't used it for years. I love hyphens!
And italics!
Old Dec 1st 2019, 10:50 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
I think one reason the apostrophe is becoming a lost cause is the autocorrect. For instance, it often inserts “your” or “you’re” seemingly randomly. That is, it doesn’t seem to be intelligent enough to choose the correct spelling according to context. It’s annoying to have to edit your postings and other text to make sure these errors haven’t crept in - but I think it must be very difficult for those who are unsure, who may not know the rules etc., and are reduced to just accepting what autocorrect gives them.

One specific thing in the article. There’s a picture of a road sign, “St Pauls Churchyard” or something. Caption says, apostrophe is missing. Well yes, but it is a national place naming standard now (I believe) to omit apostrophes from street names and other locality names, in all cases. I think it’s a sensible signage rationalization, so long as it’s done consistently.
I know I'm an old pain in the arse but I hate seeing incorrect punctuation, spelling and grammar. It's almost as though I take it personally and I'm offended. How sad am I?
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 2:58 am
BE Enthusiast

sid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond reputesid nv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I know I'm an old pain in the arse but I hate seeing incorrect punctuation, spelling and grammar. It's almost as though I take it personally and I'm offended. How sad am I?
Dont take it personally. Im sure we can still understand a sentence without unnecessary apostrophe's.
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 3:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basic_English

The basis for Orwell's "Newspeak" It has all come to pass
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 4:18 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

You're as sad as me because I feel exactly the same way.
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 6:17 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sid nv
Dont take it personally. Im sure we can still understand a sentence without unnecessary apostrophe's.
Shurrup you!
Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
You're as sad as me because I feel exactly the same way.
Two sad arses together
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 7:59 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sid nv
One of my incentives to growing my own, not having to go to the market on a Saturday to buy my brussels sprout’s and potato’s.
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 8:06 am
Heading for Poppyland

When I first lived in the US, I meticulously used US spelling in work and other US contexts, and British spelling when writing home to my sister etc. After a few years, I said “**** it,” and deliberately mixed & matched spelling. With my sister, I also deliberately use American usages just to annoy her. (As in: “Robin, would you like some more potatoes?” Me: “I’m good, thanks.”)
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 8:39 am
Concierge

When I first lived in the US, I meticulously used US spelling in work and other US contexts, and British spelling when writing home to my sister etc. After a few years, I said “**** it,” and deliberately mixed & matched spelling. With my sister, I also deliberately use American usages just to annoy her. (As in: “Robin, would you like some more potatoes?” Me: “I’m good, thanks.”)
You weren't really good were you, you were being very, very bad. But funny.
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 1:04 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I think there's a lot of cross pollination going on these days (internet, Netflix, etc). For instance, I've noticed Americans recently using the word bonkers, which, frankly, is just bonkers.
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 6:56 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Old Dec 2nd 2019, 7:04 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Superb. Haven't seen that before.
Old Dec 2nd 2019, 9:09 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Superb. Haven't seen that before.
I came across a different version a couple of weeks ago - posted somewhere here - and when I was trying to find it, I found this one instead.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.