Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Old Sep 21st 2013, 7:12 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Dont give up, it REALLY isnt that bad
Old Sep 21st 2013, 7:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Well you've succeeded, Roaringmouse - I've lost the will to live.
Because I've basically said that there's no definitive yes or no answer to the UK being "that bad", however there's probably more negatives than positives on the spectrum at the moment but things will get better?

That's a summary of what I've said on this thread, which I would say is quite balanced and has a positive outlook (at least eventually it will be positive, though it will take some time to get there).

The little journey into stats was possibly unfortunate for people who don't take interest, but they can be useful to get a grip on what's been going on and what direction we might be heading in.

Shouting that the answer is a resounding NO is not helpful as it misses out so much.
Old Sep 21st 2013, 7:43 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Yozzernz, are you still out there somewhere?
Old Sep 21st 2013, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I couldn't watch it to the end (couldn't tell how long it was but I think I gave up after about 10 minutes). I didn't think the tone of the presentation inspired credibility (it overdid the "Shock!" Horror!" headlines) - many of the economic statistics they presented have been either explicitly available or easily calculable for some time. They are undoubtedly scary, though the implications vary depending on your life stage and personal wealth (and where your money is - the future for the stock market isn't assured by a long shot, and being mortgage-free is probably a better bet in the long run than plonking all your money in stocks and shares).

My first lecture on statistics to the undergraduate students involves them doing calculations on data available on national debt, deficit, areas of public spending, etc., using much of the information that's readily available. It shocks the hell out of them.
Although the data has been available for some time, by adding graphics and video to the presentation would/should be a wake up call to those who found data/statistics hard to digest. It was, to put it bluntly, the economic reality expressed in laymans terms.

I too, would have expressed doubts about its credibility, then I remember how the government in Cyprus tried to take a large chunk of change from those who had money deposited in their banks, and didn't the Greek/Italian government have changes enforced on them by EU directive? Thin edge of the wedge? Dipping their toe in the water to see what they can get away with? Didn't Brown have a pension raid? Isn't 'quantative easing' becoming the norm?

I agree that the implications will vary depending upon personal circumstance and the sad thing is that most people can do sod all about it anyway, so they continue to bury their head in the sand in the vain hope that no one comes along and kicks them up the ar$e.
Old Sep 21st 2013, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

In this thread, I don't think that's true in fact if anything, I'd say negative views have been more ridiculed or cause for insult over the course of the many pages of posts.
(WOW!! I'll post this downstairs....if I'm able to..
Two and a half minutes to log in/from (I timed it) 40 to 1 minute 36 to go to the next page/got the blue screen that others have referred to. It appears briefly on page change, but this time it hung around).

'ridicule/cause for insult'. Interesting. It might have something to do with the fact that this 'insult and ridicule' (with which I strongly disagree) has been necessary for quite some years.
It is par for the course isn't it? It's to be expected? God forbid that anyone should be happy in the UK, hell no! They have to defend that and qualify their posts so they do not cause offence to those who tell the 'unbridled truth' about the UK.

Frankly I find it offensive to have to do this. I find it even more offensive to be criticised for it! Extraordinary.

Given the difficulties of posting at the moment:

roaringmouse: you are right. You are right about everything.

I would not want to ridicule and insult you.......

.....you on the other hand? Go your hardest.
(Yes,yes-I know; you are not doing that. None of you are doing that, you are simply trying to explain, and the naughty widdle posters who counter the views of you and yours are cruel and unkind).

Sheesh!
Old Sep 21st 2013, 11:32 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked
(WOW!! I'll post this downstairs....if I'm able to..
Two and a half minutes to log in/from (I timed it) 40 to 1 minute 36 to go to the next page/got the blue screen that others have referred to. It appears briefly on page change, but this time it hung around).

'ridicule/cause for insult'. Interesting. It might have something to do with the fact that this 'insult and ridicule' (with which I strongly disagree) has been necessary for quite some years.
It is par for the course isn't it? It's to be expected? God forbid that anyone should be happy in the UK, hell no! They have to defend that and qualify their posts so they do not cause offence to those who tell the 'unbridled truth' about the UK.

Frankly I find it offensive to have to do this. I find it even more offensive to be criticised for it! Extraordinary.

Given the difficulties of posting at the moment:

roaringmouse: you are right. You are right about everything.

I would not want to ridicule and insult you.......

.....you on the other hand? Go your hardest.
(Yes,yes-I know; you are not doing that. None of you are doing that, you are simply trying to explain, and the naughty widdle posters who counter the views of you and yours are cruel and unkind).

Sheesh!
I don't see who criticised you.
Old Sep 21st 2013, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

I raise this because unfortunately you will find that there is an unacceptably high incidence of child abuse in New Zealand.

It is debatable just who is naive here. I truly wish you well in your new life-to do anything else would be churlish. However, you will find that each country carries its dark side.
I agree - have you watched 'Top of the Lake'? It might be wise to take off the tinted glasses re NZ in order to avoid disappointment. NZ still has rheumatic fever because access to primary care is not 'free at point of use' and because of damp mouldy conditions in overcrowded houses. Paradise it is not.
Old Sep 21st 2013, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see who criticised you.
..........God! it's hard this morning (Austime).

That is NOT what I am saying!

However, I'll repeat what I said. I find it utterly offensive to see what MBTTUKer's have had to put up with over the years here,-and then you suggest they are mainly the 'insult/ridicule' group!! That really does offend me, and for goodness' sake-I am not suggesting it is levelled at me personally. Crikey!

I do NOT want to get personal, but I am compelled to say that you do not like anyone disagreeing with what you post!
As an elder statesman of BE, it is somewhat difficult to disagree with you, and frankly that is annoying.
It's a discussion forum, people disagree!

Now dunroving, I'm having a massive problem posting. I've been lucky to date, but now it's my turn. I shall log out and try again later.

I know you get a lot of support; that might explain why you do not like to be disagreed with. Please don't take it personally; I am entitled to disagree with your views, as you are entitled to disagree with mine.

Here goes......
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 12:07 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

However, I'll repeat what I said. I find it utterly offensive to see what MBTTUKer's have had to put up with over the years here,-and then you suggest they are mainly the 'insult/ridicule' group!! That really does offend me, and for goodness' sake-I am not suggesting it is levelled at me personally. Crikey!

I do NOT want to get personal, but I am compelled to say that you do not like anyone disagreeing with what you post!
As an elder statesman of BE, it is somewhat difficult to disagree with you, and frankly that is annoying.

Now dunroving, I'm having a massive problem posting. I've been lucky to date, but now it's my turn. I shall log out and try again later.

I know you get a lot of support; that might explain why you do not like to be disagreed with. Please don't take it personally; I am entitled to disagree with your views, as you are entitled to disagree with mine.

Here goes......
I was going by your statement about "being criticised" - not sure how else to read it.

I'm not sure why you have this idea I don't like people disagreeing with me - you're flying off half-cocked because it seems you don't like to be disagreed with. If you follow back to my earlier post I simply expressed an objective opinion that in this thread it's any negative comments about the UK that get the vitriol, more so than the positive ones. As you say, people disagree on discussion forums, but you interpret my disagreement differently for some reason. Except when someone throws a hand grenade in my direction I usually respond pretty reasonably.

I think this forum has always been pretty balanced, compared to the Australia forum. There's an occasional foray from the other forum, stirring the pot but if you ignore them they usually disappear eventually.
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 12:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Here goes......
Whether he is a long time member or not...Dunroving is one if the nicest people who post on BE. I have never got the impression that he doesn't like people disagreeing with him.
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 12:14 am
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser
Although the data has been available for some time, by adding graphics and video to the presentation would/should be a wake up call to those who found data/statistics hard to digest. It was, to put it bluntly, the economic reality expressed in laymans terms.

I too, would have expressed doubts about its credibility, then I remember how the government in Cyprus tried to take a large chunk of change from those who had money deposited in their banks, and didn't the Greek/Italian government have changes enforced on them by EU directive? Thin edge of the wedge? Dipping their toe in the water to see what they can get away with? Didn't Brown have a pension raid? Isn't 'quantative easing' becoming the norm?

I agree that the implications will vary depending upon personal circumstance and the sad thing is that most people can do sod all about it anyway, so they continue to bury their head in the sand in the vain hope that no one comes along and kicks them up the ar$e.
It reminds me of that movie by Michael Moore about the national debt in the US - scary stuff.
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

I was going by your statement about "being criticised" - not sure how else to read it.

I'm not sure why you have this idea I don't like people disagreeing with me - you're flying off half-cocked because it seems you don't like to be disagreed with. If you follow back to my earlier post I simply expressed an objective opinion that in this thread it's any negative comments about the UK that get the vitriol, more so than the positive ones. As you say, people disagree on discussion forums, but you interpret my disagreement differently for some reason. Except when someone throws a hand grenade in my direction I usually respond pretty reasonably.

I think this forum has always been pretty balanced, compared to the Australia forum. There's an occasional foray from the other forum, stirring the pot but if you ignore them they usually disappear eventually.
Easier to log on this time.

I don't interpret anything 'differently for you', because I don't see you as any different.
However, moderator support IS different, so perhaps I should tread carefully..

I don't agree with the post I originally responded to, and that has led to this.
I still don't agree with it.
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 12:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Easier to log on this time.

I don't interpret anything 'differently for you', because I don't see you as any different.
However, moderator support IS different, so perhaps I should tread carefully..

I don't agree with the post I originally responded to, and that has led to this.
I still don't agree with it.
Very wise. I think you have made your point...time to move on or move to another thread.
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 12:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Whether he is a long time member or not...Dunroving is one if the nicest people who post on BE. I have never got the impression that he doesn't like people disagreeing with him.
Am I entitled to disagree with you?

I disagreed with a post! I still do. And I wouldn't change anything I wrote.
I'm surprised that it necessitated a comment from a moderator, though I suppose I shouldn't be.

EDIT: new post. What have I done wrong??
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 12:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Feelings can run high in this section, but don't forget Dunroving has 'walked the walk' and can give us a balanced insight, which I greatly value.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.