Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Old Sep 21st 2013, 8:12 pm
  #916  
Banned
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: The REAL Utopia.
Posts: 9,910
chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Dont give up, it REALLY isnt that bad
chris955 is offline  
Old Sep 21st 2013, 8:33 pm
  #917  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,396
roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by Sally Redux View Post
Well you've succeeded, Roaringmouse - I've lost the will to live.
Because I've basically said that there's no definitive yes or no answer to the UK being "that bad", however there's probably more negatives than positives on the spectrum at the moment but things will get better?

That's a summary of what I've said on this thread, which I would say is quite balanced and has a positive outlook (at least eventually it will be positive, though it will take some time to get there).

The little journey into stats was possibly unfortunate for people who don't take interest, but they can be useful to get a grip on what's been going on and what direction we might be heading in.

Shouting that the answer is a resounding NO is not helpful as it misses out so much.
roaringmouse is offline  
Old Sep 21st 2013, 8:43 pm
  #918  
Banned
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: The REAL Utopia.
Posts: 9,910
chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Yozzernz, are you still out there somewhere?
chris955 is offline  
Old Sep 21st 2013, 9:11 pm
  #919  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: The sunshine state
Posts: 1,351
Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by dunroving View Post
I couldn't watch it to the end (couldn't tell how long it was but I think I gave up after about 10 minutes). I didn't think the tone of the presentation inspired credibility (it overdid the "Shock!" Horror!" headlines) - many of the economic statistics they presented have been either explicitly available or easily calculable for some time. They are undoubtedly scary, though the implications vary depending on your life stage and personal wealth (and where your money is - the future for the stock market isn't assured by a long shot, and being mortgage-free is probably a better bet in the long run than plonking all your money in stocks and shares).

My first lecture on statistics to the undergraduate students involves them doing calculations on data available on national debt, deficit, areas of public spending, etc., using much of the information that's readily available. It shocks the hell out of them.
Although the data has been available for some time, by adding graphics and video to the presentation would/should be a wake up call to those who found data/statistics hard to digest. It was, to put it bluntly, the economic reality expressed in laymans terms.

I too, would have expressed doubts about its credibility, then I remember how the government in Cyprus tried to take a large chunk of change from those who had money deposited in their banks, and didn't the Greek/Italian government have changes enforced on them by EU directive? Thin edge of the wedge? Dipping their toe in the water to see what they can get away with? Didn't Brown have a pension raid? Isn't 'quantative easing' becoming the norm?

I agree that the implications will vary depending upon personal circumstance and the sad thing is that most people can do sod all about it anyway, so they continue to bury their head in the sand in the vain hope that no one comes along and kicks them up the ar$e.
Bud the Wiser is offline  
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 12:15 am
  #920  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 862
TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by dunroving View Post
In this thread, I don't think that's true in fact if anything, I'd say negative views have been more ridiculed or cause for insult over the course of the many pages of posts.
(WOW!! I'll post this downstairs....if I'm able to..
Two and a half minutes to log in/from (I timed it) 40 to 1 minute 36 to go to the next page/got the blue screen that others have referred to. It appears briefly on page change, but this time it hung around).

'ridicule/cause for insult'. Interesting. It might have something to do with the fact that this 'insult and ridicule' (with which I strongly disagree) has been necessary for quite some years.
It is par for the course isn't it? It's to be expected? God forbid that anyone should be happy in the UK, hell no! They have to defend that and qualify their posts so they do not cause offence to those who tell the 'unbridled truth' about the UK.

Frankly I find it offensive to have to do this. I find it even more offensive to be criticised for it! Extraordinary.
________________________________________

Given the difficulties of posting at the moment:

roaringmouse: you are right. You are right about everything.

I would not want to ridicule and insult you.......

.....you on the other hand? Go your hardest.
(Yes,yes-I know; you are not doing that. None of you are doing that, you are simply trying to explain, and the naughty widdle posters who counter the views of you and yours are cruel and unkind).

Sheesh!
TheEmperorIsNaked is offline  
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 12:32 am
  #921  
Ping-ponger
 
dunroving's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Dreich Alba
Posts: 11,964
dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked View Post
(WOW!! I'll post this downstairs....if I'm able to..
Two and a half minutes to log in/from (I timed it) 40 to 1 minute 36 to go to the next page/got the blue screen that others have referred to. It appears briefly on page change, but this time it hung around).

'ridicule/cause for insult'. Interesting. It might have something to do with the fact that this 'insult and ridicule' (with which I strongly disagree) has been necessary for quite some years.
It is par for the course isn't it? It's to be expected? God forbid that anyone should be happy in the UK, hell no! They have to defend that and qualify their posts so they do not cause offence to those who tell the 'unbridled truth' about the UK.

Frankly I find it offensive to have to do this. I find it even more offensive to be criticised for it! Extraordinary.
________________________________________

Given the difficulties of posting at the moment:

roaringmouse: you are right. You are right about everything.

I would not want to ridicule and insult you.......

.....you on the other hand? Go your hardest.
(Yes,yes-I know; you are not doing that. None of you are doing that, you are simply trying to explain, and the naughty widdle posters who counter the views of you and yours are cruel and unkind).

Sheesh!
I don't see who criticised you.
dunroving is offline  
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 12:49 am
  #922  
BE Forum Addict
 
luvwelly's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,285
luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked View Post
I raise this because unfortunately you will find that there is an unacceptably high incidence of child abuse in New Zealand.

It is debatable just who is naive here. I truly wish you well in your new life-to do anything else would be churlish. However, you will find that each country carries its dark side.
I agree - have you watched 'Top of the Lake'? It might be wise to take off the tinted glasses re NZ in order to avoid disappointment. NZ still has rheumatic fever because access to primary care is not 'free at point of use' and because of damp mouldy conditions in overcrowded houses. Paradise it is not.
luvwelly is offline  
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 12:52 am
  #923  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 862
TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by dunroving View Post
I don't see who criticised you.
..........God! it's hard this morning (Austime).

That is NOT what I am saying!

However, I'll repeat what I said. I find it utterly offensive to see what MBTTUKer's have had to put up with over the years here,-and then you suggest they are mainly the 'insult/ridicule' group!! That really does offend me, and for goodness' sake-I am not suggesting it is levelled at me personally. Crikey!

I do NOT want to get personal, but I am compelled to say that you do not like anyone disagreeing with what you post!
As an elder statesman of BE, it is somewhat difficult to disagree with you, and frankly that is annoying.
It's a discussion forum, people disagree!

Now dunroving, I'm having a massive problem posting. I've been lucky to date, but now it's my turn. I shall log out and try again later.

I know you get a lot of support; that might explain why you do not like to be disagreed with. Please don't take it personally; I am entitled to disagree with your views, as you are entitled to disagree with mine.

Here goes......
TheEmperorIsNaked is offline  
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 1:07 am
  #924  
Ping-ponger
 
dunroving's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Dreich Alba
Posts: 11,964
dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked View Post
..........God! it's hard this morning (Austime).

That is NOT what I am saying!

However, I'll repeat what I said. I find it utterly offensive to see what MBTTUKer's have had to put up with over the years here,-and then you suggest they are mainly the 'insult/ridicule' group!! That really does offend me, and for goodness' sake-I am not suggesting it is levelled at me personally. Crikey!

I do NOT want to get personal, but I am compelled to say that you do not like anyone disagreeing with what you post!
As an elder statesman of BE, it is somewhat difficult to disagree with you, and frankly that is annoying.
It's a discussion forum, people disagree!

Now dunroving, I'm having a massive problem posting. I've been lucky to date, but now it's my turn. I shall log out and try again later.

I know you get a lot of support; that might explain why you do not like to be disagreed with. Please don't take it personally; I am entitled to disagree with your views, as you are entitled to disagree with mine.

Here goes......
I was going by your statement about "being criticised" - not sure how else to read it.

I'm not sure why you have this idea I don't like people disagreeing with me - you're flying off half-cocked because it seems you don't like to be disagreed with. If you follow back to my earlier post I simply expressed an objective opinion that in this thread it's any negative comments about the UK that get the vitriol, more so than the positive ones. As you say, people disagree on discussion forums, but you interpret my disagreement differently for some reason. Except when someone throws a hand grenade in my direction I usually respond pretty reasonably.

I think this forum has always been pretty balanced, compared to the Australia forum. There's an occasional foray from the other forum, stirring the pot but if you ignore them they usually disappear eventually.
dunroving is offline  
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 1:13 am
  #925  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 80,397
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked View Post
..........God! it's hard this morning (Austime).

That is NOT what I am saying!

However, I'll repeat what I said. I find it utterly offensive to see what MBTTUKer's have had to put up with over the years here,-and then you suggest they are mainly the 'insult/ridicule' group!! That really does offend me, and for goodness' sake-I am not suggesting it is levelled at me personally. Crikey!

I do NOT want to get personal, but I am compelled to say that you do not like anyone disagreeing with what you post!
As an elder statesman of BE, it is somewhat difficult to disagree with you, and frankly that is annoying.
It's a discussion forum, people disagree!

Now dunroving, I'm having a massive problem posting. I've been lucky to date, but now it's my turn. I shall log out and try again later.

I know you get a lot of support; that might explain why you do not like to be disagreed with. Please don't take it personally; I am entitled to disagree with your views, as you are entitled to disagree with mine.

Here goes......
Whether he is a long time member or not...Dunroving is one if the nicest people who post on BE. I have never got the impression that he doesn't like people disagreeing with him.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 1:14 am
  #926  
Ping-ponger
 
dunroving's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Dreich Alba
Posts: 11,964
dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser View Post
Although the data has been available for some time, by adding graphics and video to the presentation would/should be a wake up call to those who found data/statistics hard to digest. It was, to put it bluntly, the economic reality expressed in laymans terms.

I too, would have expressed doubts about its credibility, then I remember how the government in Cyprus tried to take a large chunk of change from those who had money deposited in their banks, and didn't the Greek/Italian government have changes enforced on them by EU directive? Thin edge of the wedge? Dipping their toe in the water to see what they can get away with? Didn't Brown have a pension raid? Isn't 'quantative easing' becoming the norm?

I agree that the implications will vary depending upon personal circumstance and the sad thing is that most people can do sod all about it anyway, so they continue to bury their head in the sand in the vain hope that no one comes along and kicks them up the ar$e.
It reminds me of that movie by Michael Moore about the national debt in the US - scary stuff.
dunroving is offline  
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 1:31 am
  #927  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 862
TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by dunroving View Post
I was going by your statement about "being criticised" - not sure how else to read it.

I'm not sure why you have this idea I don't like people disagreeing with me - you're flying off half-cocked because it seems you don't like to be disagreed with. If you follow back to my earlier post I simply expressed an objective opinion that in this thread it's any negative comments about the UK that get the vitriol, more so than the positive ones. As you say, people disagree on discussion forums, but you interpret my disagreement differently for some reason. Except when someone throws a hand grenade in my direction I usually respond pretty reasonably.

I think this forum has always been pretty balanced, compared to the Australia forum. There's an occasional foray from the other forum, stirring the pot but if you ignore them they usually disappear eventually.
Easier to log on this time.

I don't interpret anything 'differently for you', because I don't see you as any different.
However, moderator support IS different, so perhaps I should tread carefully..

I don't agree with the post I originally responded to, and that has led to this.
I still don't agree with it.
TheEmperorIsNaked is offline  
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 1:37 am
  #928  
SUPER MODERATOR
 
Jerseygirl's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 80,397
Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by TheEmperorIsNaked View Post
Easier to log on this time.

I don't interpret anything 'differently for you', because I don't see you as any different.
However, moderator support IS different, so perhaps I should tread carefully..

I don't agree with the post I originally responded to, and that has led to this.
I still don't agree with it.
Very wise. I think you have made your point...time to move on or move to another thread.
Jerseygirl is offline  
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 1:38 am
  #929  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 862
TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
Whether he is a long time member or not...Dunroving is one if the nicest people who post on BE. I have never got the impression that he doesn't like people disagreeing with him.
Am I entitled to disagree with you?

I disagreed with a post! I still do. And I wouldn't change anything I wrote.
I'm surprised that it necessitated a comment from a moderator, though I suppose I shouldn't be.

EDIT: new post. What have I done wrong??
TheEmperorIsNaked is offline  
Old Sep 22nd 2013, 1:40 am
  #930  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 41,518
Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Feelings can run high in this section, but don't forget Dunroving has 'walked the walk' and can give us a balanced insight, which I greatly value.
Sally Redux is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.