Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Old Jul 15th 2013, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by chris955
I
The doom and gloom tends to come from those who read the trash papers like the Daily Mail and take the rubbish written as gospel.

And here I had always thought that the Daily Mail was a paragon of journalistic integrity
Old Jul 15th 2013, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kwazywabbit
As for the unrest no more or less than what i have to deal with out here.

What unrest has there been in Alberta or Canada?
Old Jul 15th 2013, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

kwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to allkwazywabbit is a name known to all

Originally Posted by colchar
What unrest has there been in Alberta or Canada?
I was trying to saying, that there is no more or less in the UK than is here.
I wasn't saying that there have been running riots in down town Calgary.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 7:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Well you raise an interesting point.

Sure, high street shops close down. Why wouldn't they, since there are shopping centres and big box stores out of town. I like to see small independent stores on the high street when I return to England, but I shop in the out of town shopping centres like everyone else. Time marches on in the UK, even while we live abroad for years or decades ... that's a sign the old place is still alive and kicking! And, the fact that new immigrants want to come is also a sign that Britain is in good nick!
A major reason for high street stores closing is competition from Internet sales. A higher proportion of UK sales are from the internet than in other western countries.

Agree about UK immigration being a good sign. Too bad that there is such a negative attitude towards it.
Old Jul 15th 2013, 8:03 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

There are jobs, in fact the unemployment rate here is only marginally worse that Australia.
The UK unemployment rate as of June 2013 was 7.8%, and the Australian unemployment rate as of July 2013 was 5.7%, so the UK rate is substantially higher (over a third higher). Having said that UK unemployment is trending down, and Australian unemployment is trending up, so they may converge at some point.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 5:27 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
The UK unemployment rate as of June 2013 was 7.8%, and the Australian unemployment rate as of July 2013 was 5.7%, so the UK rate is substantially higher (over a third higher). Having said that UK unemployment is trending down, and Australian unemployment is trending up, so they may converge at some point.
Stats-'lies, damned lies and....'. I don't know about the UK, but I once did 9.6 secs with the now defunct DEET (don't ask; can't remember, but the last two letters are 'employment and training'.
I saw at first hand how rubbery these figures are. A veteran of the dept told me that the whole game play was to ensure a low % rate of unemployment for the Gov to release to the media, irrespective of whether it was true or not.

I was told to keep head down and bum up. I walked, because at that stage I was able to. It was an utter farce.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 5:58 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly but people believe it. Round the figures up, in Australia OFFICIALLY 6 out of 100 are unemployed, in the UK it is 8 out of 100. The difference is marginal but in one country you will be told there is plenty of work and in the other there is no work, neither is right.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

yozzernz is an unknown quantity at this point

Exactly but people believe it. Round the figures up, in Australia OFFICIALLY 6 out of 100 are unemployed, in the UK it is 8 out of 100. The difference is marginal but in one country you will be told there is plenty of work and in the other there is no work, neither is right.
But in some parts of Oz there's no Jobs such as here
Old Jul 16th 2013, 8:20 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yozzernz
But in some parts of Oz there's no Jobs such as here
Yes exactly right, the area we lived had a rate of 9% but where we are now it is under 6%. Both countries have areas of high and low unemployment but overall the rate is comparable and that is the important thing to remember for those making the move back.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 8:25 am
Forum Regular

yozzernz is an unknown quantity at this point

There's an awful lot more beaurocratic nonsense here though
Old Jul 16th 2013, 9:09 am
Banned

Originally Posted by yozzernz
There's an awful lot more beaurocratic nonsense here though
Oh god dont start me on Australian red tape and bureaucracy
Old Jul 16th 2013, 9:28 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

But, thing is, the range of normal unemployment is much smaller than 0 - 100. 10% is considered a very high level, for example, so now you have 6 or 8 per cent unemployed in a situation where 10 is high and 20 a catastrophe. There is a big difference in every % point.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 10:50 am
Banned

Yep, both are too high but the difference is marginal.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

The doom and gloom tends to come from those who read the trash papers like the Daily Mail and take the rubbish written as gospel.
...says he who recently started a thread entitled "Home ownership for many in the UK a distant dream" - based on an article that had appeared in the Daily Mail.
Old Jul 16th 2013, 12:03 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
...says he who recently started a thread entitled "Home ownership for many in the UK a distant dream" - based on an article that had appeared in the Daily Mail.
Look I really dont care that you have a problem with me, that is your issue, if it helps you sleep to try and have a go at me thats great. I said I didnt get that from the Daily Mail, if you choose to ignore that again that is your issue. Please dont bring your nonsense into this thread.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.