Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Old Dec 10th 2013, 10:04 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by Bud the Wiser

What do you think of the housing situation in the UK? I think a lot more of peoples income will be taken up in putting a roof over their heads, leaving less disposable income to grow the economy. IMHO.
why is that an issue for me?

All my family seem to manage quite well and it does not affect me.

If you are worried about your finances I am sure you may be eligible for some benefits. How are you going to afford healthcare in the US if you can not afford to return to the UK?
Old Dec 10th 2013, 10:07 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Oh come on now, be honest with yourself, it's the least you can do.

I am able to spend time in both countries as I choose....you obviously don't read people's posts

What is dishonest about that?
Old Dec 10th 2013, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry Grayling, but your posts are getting more pathetic each time you post.

I wonder how many times the moderators have had to act on threads involving yourself. Grow up FFS.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 10:44 pm
Bitter and twisted

I'm sorry Grayling, but your posts are getting more pathetic each time you post.

I wonder how many times the moderators have had to act on threads involving yourself. Grow up FFS.
What's pathetic Bud....The fact I recognise you as a troll?

Why have you made no effort to return if that is what you seem interested in?
Old Dec 10th 2013, 10:47 pm
Bitter and twisted

Tell me Bud.....why should the cost of housing in the Uk be an issue for me?.....it obviously is for you.

If anything it simply makes my assets more valuable
Old Dec 10th 2013, 10:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Please take this "discussion" to PMs.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 10:51 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Please take this "discussion" to PMs.
Bud would have no fun if he couldn't continue his downbeat posts about the UK
Old Dec 10th 2013, 11:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Oh goodness. Here he goes again. Dude, you made a bad decision, get over it, stop punishing yourself.
Originally Posted by Grayling
What bad decision?

I quite like it here and like the Uk when I am over there.

It seems that it is you who is unhappy.....Hence your trolling this forum

Grow some balls and move back if that is what you really want

I have the best of both worlds

Originally Posted by Grayling
Bud would have no fun if he couldn't continue his downbeat posts about the UK
This is getting rather tedious now. Either put each other on ignore or take your comments to PM. Thank you.
Old Dec 10th 2013, 11:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
Population 1960 - 50 million, and forecast to fall to 40/45 million in 20 years.

Actual population 1970 - 55.6, 1980 - 56.3, 1990 - 57.2, 2000 -58.9.

Population 2010 - 63 million (plus estimated 1 million illegals) and forecast to increase to 75 million in 20 years.

Average household size 1960 3.1
Average household size 2010 1.8.

It is very simple arithmetic.

There may be hiccups, but property prices for ALL forms of tenure (ownership, rent, lease, sofa-surfing) will continue to rise until we build more houses.
Rents are NOT constrained by income when we lack several million homes.
Standing room only........... Telegraph article sourcing the ONS.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...l-figures.html
Old Dec 11th 2013, 12:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by huddm
davros1984

We moved to SE Kent 5 years ago after having lived in Canada. We have not found the South East a dump to live. Our Canadian visitors over the last few years were impressed with our transport system, countryside, shopping and climate and lack of bugs in the summer.
My sons have had a good life here with many of their friends living in the local villages and having a good social life. Both have had good secondary education and now studying at the top UK universities. We have not found there are too many people, as there lots of nice areas to live without needing to live in a shoe box house. I must admit you get a different perspective about the UK once you have lived and worked overseas.

I found that having international work experience, good professional training and qualification has allowed us to have a high standard of living when we returned to the UK. I wonder how many of those complain about the UK have not really put in the amount of effort to capitalise on what this country can offer.

Hudd
We have family and friends in Essex and Eastbourne and I would say they have good lives, there is lots to do and some really beautiful places.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 12:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

A different viewpoint on UK immigration:

http://www.economist.com/news/britai...s-pigs-can-fly

Although The Economist has a liberal viewpoint on immigration, There are some good points in here, specifically the fact that many immigrants are unlikely to settle in the UK permanently.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Dec 11th 2013 at 12:12 am.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
We have family and friends in Essex and Eastbourne and I would say they have good lives, there is lots to do and some really beautiful places.
I stayed in Eastbourne a couple of years ago. Pleasantly surprised with the town and the countryside. Not as 'retiree community' as one was lead to believe. Far from it.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 12:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
A different viewpoint on UK immigration:

http://www.economist.com/news/britai...s-pigs-can-fly

Although The Economist has a liberal viewpoint on immigration, There are some good points in here, specifically the fact that many immigrants are unlikely to settle in the UK permanently.
I read it as "Few southern Europeans expect to stay in Britain permanently."

Regardless, I agree many will return to their homeland. For me, that's one of the benefits of the EU and immigration, is that it will, in time, raise the standards of living for many, in particular in Eastern Europe. Having said that, I do think they ( EU ) has tried to run before it can walk. The consequences of which may yet be its undoing.

Loved the bit how some immigrants are accepted more than others, by the masses and the media. Never heard any objections about young blonde female Swedish immigrants entering the country........ ever.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 4:38 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

What do you think of the housing situation in the UK? I think a lot more of peoples income will be taken up in putting a roof over their heads, leaving less disposable income to grow the economy. IMHO.
I think your point is valid,whilst the uk is nowhere nearas bad as nz, i can see that happening with time.

One of the things about kiwis and nz is that so much of their money is tied up in mortgages as property prices are so high in comparison to salaries. as a result most people never leave nz, they don't go on a lot of holidays (nor do you get much leave), but also shopping is limited, modern houses are rare, fashion doesn't really e/ist and you don't pay to park. I think a lot of the above and more is that in NZ, you really don't have the spare cash for luxuries if you are a home owner or want to be one.

I am staggered by some of the beautiful, warm and thoroughly modern houses you can get in the UK for less than 200k, but I realise that unless salaries keep up, that will seem out of reach for a good number of people.
Old Dec 11th 2013, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

sally redux and hmann, I stand corrected. I was wrong.

I do not class places such as Eastbourne as the south east, even through they are geographically located there. my partner is from east Sussex and I don't class that as the SE.

the area I meant was....basically the m25 extending south to Crawley, as west as Guildford, reading, bracknell, Basingstoke and north to Watford. to me that area is the asshole of England. overcrowded, ruined by cars and far too pretentious and stressful a life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.