Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Old Oct 17th 2013, 7:26 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is the situation in the UK really that bad?

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I don't know. I think efforts have been made to increase reporting.
I know from a personal view, I had my sheds broken into about 6 times in my last year - and probably reported 2 - plus the house burglary - but I had a very bad experience with TVP which was reinforced by their actions during the reporting of one of the robberies so I'm probably not the best person to offer an opinion.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 7:27 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Lets face it whatever good news is reported we see ' oh yes but...'
Did I not just say that the report is probably a better reflection than crime stats - so I just agreed with the report you put up - despite how I feel on the subject as I've just said
Old Oct 17th 2013, 7:33 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

The thing is that happens everywhere. We had our car broken into in Brisbane and didnt bother reporting it. We had what was a party gone bad right outside our house again in Brisbane, there was a stabbing, a bloke running around with an axe and 3 cop cars turned up. When I asked my cop mate about it there was no Police report made, he couldnt find any info on the incident at all. My point is that there will obviously be more crime than just those reported but if the reported crime is constantly going down it would figure that the overall crime rate is going down, including unreported.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 7:35 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Did I not just say that the report is probably a better reflection than crime stats - so I just agreed with the report you put up - despite how I feel on the subject as I've just said
Did I say that was directed at you? I saw what you said but from experience especially on this thread as soon as anything positive is reported someone will be along to pick it to pieces...not you
Old Oct 17th 2013, 7:36 pm

The thing is that happens everywhere. We had our car broken into in Brisbane and didnt bother reporting it. We had what was a party gone bad right outside our house again in Brisbane, there was a stabbing, a bloke running around with an axe and 3 cop cars turned up. When I asked my cop mate about it there was no Police report made, he couldnt find any info on the incident at all. My point is that there will obviously be more crime than just those reported but if the reported crime is constantly going down it would figure that the overall crime rate is going down, including unreported.
And it was that that I agreed with - and that because it was a survey and not based on crime stats it was probably a better representation of what was actually occurring - or were you hoping I would disagree
Old Oct 17th 2013, 7:37 pm

Did I say that was directed at you? I saw what you said but from experience especially on this thread as soon as anything positive is reported someone will be along to pick it to pieces...not you
Seeing as I was the only person responding other than Sally it was a fair assumption - and crikey, I've agreed with you a couple of times recently - give me a break
Old Oct 17th 2013, 7:38 pm
Banned

I assume you didnt read my reply above
Old Oct 17th 2013, 7:40 pm
Banned

Seeing as I was the only person responding other than Sally it was a fair assumption - and crikey, I've agreed with you a couple of times recently - give me a break
Only because the usual suspects are scouring the Daily Mail and havent seen this yet
Old Oct 17th 2013, 7:40 pm

Only because the usual suspects are scouring the Daily Mail and havent seen this yet
Old Oct 17th 2013, 7:41 pm

I assume you didnt read my reply above
Which one - cos I replied to both comments
Old Oct 17th 2013, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

More good news for anyone looking at making the move 'home'.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24566994
I'm too am very encouraged that the numbers were compiled from a Crime Survey and not from the police who if Greater Manchester are anything to go by, have a reputation for stuffing the in-tray items into garbage bags or wherever to get the 'crime' off their books simply because they have zero chance of solving it so why even start with the resources to hand.

Of course there will be many who are far more concerned by the prevalence of particular crime such as unprovoked assault, perhaps particularly racially motivated 'either way' or even being the wrong (football?) supporter in the wrong area, than by the number of cellphones that get nicked in declining numbers.

Hence this seems to be the reason the folks on here dive into the police.uk area records and maybe even drill down to local media coverage for details if they can make the connection.

Thus coming from a place/region where the homicide rate per capita is ten times that in Greater London and homicides or near-homicides are the only crime the media reports, because typically otherwise there would be no time for any other news, does not necessarily make one feel safer in unfamiliar urban spots in the UK - it's a very tough conversation to have. One must be guided accordingly and best avoid the Ned-types when they are at work at closing time.

Last edited by Pistolpete2; Oct 17th 2013 at 7:47 pm.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 7:45 pm
Banned

Which one - cos I replied to both comments
No worries, just the one where I said it wasnt directed at you. I find you are pretty balanced overall
Old Oct 17th 2013, 7:50 pm

No worries, just the one where I said it wasnt directed at you. I find you are pretty balanced overall
I try to but sometimes personal experience gets the better of me. I will say, as much as I wasn't completely happy with where I was in the UK I would probably return there if things don't work out here - my employer gave me a 3 year career break to try this - and I didn't really run away from anything - I left because I could and I wanted to try it
Old Oct 17th 2013, 7:59 pm
Banned

I try to but sometimes personal experience gets the better of me. I will say, as much as I wasn't completely happy with where I was in the UK I would probably return there if things don't work out here - my employer gave me a 3 year career break to try this - and I didn't really run away from anything - I left because I could and I wanted to try it
Its good that you are honest about things. That is very generous of your boss. I must say though Slough isnt somewhere I would live but the same is true of practically any big town city in either country. We have been spoiled now by living in a village with an average of 1 reported crime a month, actually that might be 1 crime every 2 months now
Old Oct 17th 2013, 8:05 pm

Its good that you are honest about things. That is very generous of your boss. I must say though Slough isnt somewhere I would live but the same is true of practically any big town city in either country. We have been spoiled now by living in a village with an average of 1 reported crime a month, actually that might be 1 crime every 2 months now
I'd have managed that figure on my own - just goes to show what a difference you get

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.